Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
More than 100 leading City grandees have backed the Vote Leave campaign arguing that Brussels meddling represents “a genuine threat” to Britain’s financial services industry.
Senior figures from the worlds of banking, stockbroking, insurance and fund management said in a letter to the Standard that the Square Mile “can thrive and grow outside the European Union”.

Former this, ex-that. Grandees......do you mean has-beens? .

A load of dusty old-duffers support leaving the EU; now there's a surprise.

cunning fergus

Jan 18, 2009
Just to put your mind at rest, we have a veto over Turkey joining....

We may do, but that veto would have existed for all other countries that have joined the EU, and we've never rolled it out.

It is, in any event, British foreign policy to have Turkey in the EU.........the British govt of all flavours have advocated this step quietly domestically despite knowing full well that the electorate would be hostile to such a move.

Why do you think that is?

D

Deleted member 22389

Feels like we are being treated like sheep, the EU chucking treats at our governments to make sure we are put firmly in our pen,because once this gate is closed, that's it, no more referendums, we have then given the EU the nod to do what they like from this point forward. Vote Leave on June 23rd.

highflyer

Jan 21, 2016
More than 100 leading City grandees have backed the Vote Leave campaign arguing that Brussels meddling represents “a genuine threat” to Britain’s financial services industry.

Senior figures from the worlds of banking, stockbroking, insurance and fund management said in a letter to the Standard that the Square Mile “can thrive and grow outside the European Union”.

The signatories include respected names such as former chairman of the LIFFE futures exchange Sir Brian Williamson, hedge fund bosses Paul Marshall, chairman and founding partner of Marshall Wace, and Kevin Pakenham, co-founder of Pakenham Partners, and Melanie Hampton, managing director of insurance brokers Alexander Miller.

Many well-known campaigners for Brexit who also signed the letter include former HSBC chief Michael Geoghegan, Dominic Burke, group chief executive of insurance broker Jardine Lloyd Thompson, and Crispin Odey, founding partner of Odey Asset Management. Former Tory party treasurer Peter Cruddas, founder of online trading company CMC Markets, is also on the list.

All 110 said they were signing the letter in a personal capacity rather than on behalf of their businesses “as individuals active in the City of London and UK financial services who share a strong personal commitment to the world’s most vibrant financial centre.”

They added: “We believe the City is most likely to strengthen its lead as the world’s largest international financial centre, and continue to make a major contribution to the UK economy and employment, outside the EU but with continued access to its capital markets.”

...according to today’s signatories “there is scant evidence that the EU will foster or support the kind of innovation which is essential if Europeans are to compete with the rest of the world.

“Specifically, we worry that the EU’s approach to regulation now poses a genuine threat to our financial services industry and to the competitiveness of the City of London.”

Vote Leave chief executive Matthew Elliott said: “Far from the picture of gloom painted by the Government, it is clear the City of London would not only retain its pre-eminence as the world’s most important financial centre, but would also thrive after freeing herself from the EU’s regulatory shackles.”

http://www.standard.co.uk/news/poli...ames-sign-letter-backing-brexit-a3236841.html

An alternative view to the resident experts on NSC who say Brexit will seriously damage our Financial services Industry.
What they are arguing (as people who have been closely involved with, and I would guess personally benefited from, a massively damaging deregulation of the financial services sector in the UK and globally) is that the EU is the most likely route by which effective regulation is actually going to be imposed. Of all the arguments for brexit i have read, this is the one most likely to push me in the opposite direction!

cunning fergus

Jan 18, 2009
Er, no. I've got clients in many different industries and professions. Most people in Sheffield don't actually work in the steel industry any more but it's quite a big place so there are still a few thousand.

What we are seeing is that manufacturing orders are down and people running the businesses involved think that the brexit uncertainty is a factor in this. As in, if we vote out it will get much worse so orders are on hold in the hope that we vote in and avoid the shit storm. As I said, this isn't my opinion, just what people in business are saying.

I doubt this is particular to this city as we're talking about multi £m turnover companies who deal with customers and suppliers from all over the country (and Europe, surprisingly). But you keep burying your head in the sand, everything will be fine.

Uncertainty in business (and life) is the one certainty that always exists.

Businesses that are not able to manage uncertainty and its correspondent risks will struggle to deal with Brexit or any matters.

Many companies at the moment are preparing for the possible consequences of an Italian banking crisis, with its causes and other underlying problems a direct consequence of the euro and now the EU's state aid rules.

Uncertainties like this and falling demand in China make the problems associated with Brexit look like a tea party.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
It's all well and good the treasury saying i/we will be £4300/year worse off in 2030......but if we stay in the EU how much WORSE of will i/we be wit 80 million people in the country? I don't expect us to be better off that's for sure..... maybe the real cost could be worse off to the tune of (speculation)£2500/year? with this in mind i would rather be OUT.

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face
IN.
Obviously.
We'll be far worse off if we LEAVE. It's mainly the far right that are supportin LEAVE. Saville would have voted LEAVE. Probably.
Migrants have nothing to do with it all anyway. If we LEAVE we'll turn into a TINPOT country, little diversity, little happiness, controlled by those who have only their wallets at heart. I still haven't heard a decent arguement to leave.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
IN.
Obviously.
We'll be far worse off if we LEAVE. It's mainly the far right that are supportin LEAVE. Saville would have voted LEAVE. Probably.
Migrants have nothing to do with it all anyway. If we LEAVE we'll turn into a TINPOT country, little diversity, little happiness, controlled by those who have only their wallets at heart. I still haven't heard a decent arguement to leave.

Some would argue we are already there

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
Imagine Brighton,Hove growing by it's same size each year for the next 20 years,that's the price of staying in the EU...

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
If we were voting to join the EU right now what would people's answer be? I know it's hard to answer for we would not know from where we are coming,but we would know what we would be joining and again for that reason...i am OUT.

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
I know it beggars belief doesn't it.

In fairness though, you're the one that posted that extraordinary visceral scream a couple of pages ago that blamed the EU for everything from the de-industrialisation of the UK to the fact that people are no longer buying Morris cars.

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
In fairness though, you're the one that posted that extraordinary visceral scream a couple of pages ago that blamed the EU for everything from the de-industrialisation of the UK to the fact that people are no longer buying Morris cars.

So are you saying that the UK was not like that in 1965. Obviously you know better.

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
So are you saying that the UK was not like that in 1965. Obviously you know better.

But what the UK was like in 1965 is not the issue - the issue is whether the EU is to blame for the changes since then. You seem to hold Brussels responsible for everything that has changed for the worse, from the fact that the Germans make our cars and the French make our trains to the de-industrialisation of western society and widespread youth unemployment. I understand the appeal of blaming the foreigner for everything we have done wrong, but I think it is inaccurate and I don't think it is doing us any favours.

As a nation I'd like us to be outward-looking, confident and kind. You would like the same I expect but unfortunately the spirit of Brexit so often reminds me of the furious teenager, convinced the outside world is ganging up on him.

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
Unfortunately you are incorrect I am not Jim in the West!

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

sock-puppet.jpg Sent from the Moon by balloon

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
But what the UK was like in 1965 is not the issue - the issue is whether the EU is to blame for the changes since then. You seem to hold Brussels responsible for everything that has changed for the worse, from the fact that the Germans make our cars and the French make our trains to the de-industrialisation of western society and widespread youth unemployment. I understand the appeal of blaming the foreigner for everything we have done wrong, but I think it is inaccurate and I don't think it is doing us any favours.

As a nation I'd like us to be outward-looking, confident and kind. You would like the same I expect but unfortunately the spirit of Brexit so often reminds me of the furious teenager, convinced the outside world is ganging up on him.

"As a nation I'd like us to be outward-looking, confident and kind."........ yes, and making our own laws, our own decisions and trading with who we want to...... not being run and dictated to by an un elected body who run a money pit that is not accountable to us.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
"As a nation I'd like us to be outward-looking, confident and kind."........ yes, and making our own laws, our own decisions and trading with who we want to...... not being run and dictated to by an un elected body who run a money pit that is not accountable to us.

You mean confident enough to set sail again? across a choppy atlantic? rather than taking the nice easy option of popping on a train to France.

Bladders

Twats everywhere
Jun 22, 2012
The Troubadour

You mean the generation who've been fooled and lied to one too many times before. ???

The penny has dropped for them, you're not quite there yet at your tender age.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here