Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

A few Albion 'fans' being nationalistic ****s on the train last night...a rare occurrence?

Buckeejit

Sep 21, 2014
After what was generally a great day at the Amex yesterday, as an Irish adopted Brightonian with family over for the weekend who I'd brought to the match (duly converted - they loved it!), can't say it was a great experience for us to hear quite a sizeable group of drunken Albion 'fans' aggressively belting out 'No surrender to the IRA' (and other flag-waving tunes more generally associated with Chelsea and Rangers) on the train back to Brighton late yesterday afternoon... first time I've heard that kinda shite from Albion fans and my first match was at the Goldstone about 20 years ago...so, do you lot encounter this kinda thing much??

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
After what was generally a great day at the Amex yesterday, as an Irish adopted Brightonian with family over for the weekend who I'd brought to the match (duly converted - they loved it!), can't say it was a great experience for us to hear quite a sizeable group of drunken Albion 'fans' aggressively belting out 'No surrender to the IRA' (and other flag-waving tunes more generally associated with Chelsea and Rangers) on the train back to Brighton late yesterday afternoon... first time I've heard that kinda shite from Albion fans and my first match was at the Goldstone about 20 years ago...so, do you lot encounter this kinda thing much??

Perhaps you should have been at Huddersfield a few years ago when some of the fanzine people took it upon themselves the police this type of thing which was disgraceful.

easynow

Mar 17, 2013
jakarta
on a serious note, sorry you had to experience that. Drunk people in herds do stupid things...most of the time.

I removed your picture, it contained language not accepted here on NSC. (hitony)

n1 gull

Jul 25, 2003
Hurstpierpoint
F'ing hell not heard that sung in years apart from at England games. As I am from an Irish family as well I wish these dicks would f*ck off

Drunk people singing old songs shocker. Maybe the words need updating to IS.

There's more to the words than a mention of the IRA. "No surrender" refers directly to a slogan closely associated with Sir Edward Carson, anti-home rule campaigner back in the nineteenth century.

Sir Edward Carson had a cat,
It sat upon a fender
And every time it caught a rat,
It shouted "No surrender!!"

essbee

Jan 5, 2005

Sorry mate - I think you're making it up.

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
Couldnt give a shit frankly. The IRA were terrorists, so people can sing whatever they want about them and if YOU dont like that, YOU can sod off back to your own country. :bigwave:

brighton bluenose

Jan 6, 2006
Nicollet & 66th

'Other flag-waving tunes' such as what?!

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
Do people really get offended by this song?

If this did happen (and it's a very big if because it smells a bit like bullshit) it was just a few pissed up toerags, hardly anything to worry about (just like the Huddersfield incident).
Would people start a thread because they heard two fans discussing tax avoidance or putting the rent up on their property portfolio? Because they've probably done more damage to society than a few kids singing a song.

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada
It's a Pro-English & Anti Irish Terrorist song.

Who are we getting offended on behalf of? Irish terrorists?

----

Make the lyrics ISIS themed?
Half the nation will be screaming out for a policeman and fainting on the streets, on behalf of all Muslims.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven

Anti IRA terrorist scum song is sang by football fans, so what.

Nothing to see here move along everyone ???

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Would people start a thread because they heard two fans discussing tax avoidance or putting the rent up on their property portfolio?

No Surrender to the VAT?
Good old Sussex Buy 2 Let, good old Sussex Buy 2 let.....?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here