Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Hughton today ?

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
The King of boredom will cost us an automatic spot,bore off Chris ,time for some excitement at the Amex.

CH is grinding us out an impressive number of points. There's the odd flash of brilliance, but mainly it's the dour safe stuff that will get us (upwards) out of this division. Especially with not a single fully-functional striker. Of our only other manager worthy of consideration in the Amex era, Poyet was far more concerned with percentage play, which one suspects was far more to do with boosting his personal CV than anything required to get us (upwards) out of this division.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
We were told by Norwich fans of CH's safety first/Negative substitutions so it should come as no surprise. He'd be damned if he did and damned if he didnt, in some quarters.
To me, we havent got enough physicality in the side/matchday squad apart from centre backs & Hemed but that has been a problem with a fair few sides down the years.
One option if defending a lead could be to put Dunk or Goldson into a role just in front of the back four, both are more than capable of playing in a defensive mid role, and then we would be able to leave someone further forward for a potential counter attack which we rarely do.

I don't think the substitution cost us the win. We actually held out very well in open play. What cost the goal I think was the loss of Bruno. He was Captain and would have been responsible for the zonal marking for the free kick. I think when he went off, no one took over that responsibility. That and partly as you say, we don't have enough really big strong players in the line up.

osgood

Apr 17, 2011
brighton
Long before Bruno's injury and his obvious intentions to the players to have what we hold - btw when we were the far superior team - why take off Hemed a good defender of corners and the possibility of a third centre back coming on knowing the Ariel bombardment would come at the end.......... **** it I 've forgotten the next bit but I so annoyed. Did he expect them to tippy tappy through our midfield. It's Fuuuucking Burnley ffs the kings of lump it. I know injures occurred but go for the feeling jugular, that's why we won't make automatics because of the attititude. I'm so annoyed today...... We were streets ahead for so long. I'm going out now...........I may be some time.

Spot on , if he had to make a sub for hemed with 6mins plus stoppage , make it another forward player(lue-lua) , or the biggest lump of a defender we have on the bench (Gordon) , NOT a midfielder past his sell by date ...obvious to most of us , but not to CH !

Scunner

Feb 26, 2012
Near Heathfield
I think that Ranieri has just shown how it is done. As far as I can recall 4-5-1 has caused us no end of issues this season and moreover it sends out the wrong message to both the team and the opposition. It didn't work at Brentford, it didn't work at Cardiff, it didn't work at MK Dons and it ****ed it up yesterday. Really poor management from Hughton, it has to be said, the most worrying thing about which is that he doesn't seem to be learning from it.

We have a shape, the players understand it, it has been successful and Leicester have just shown that when the pressure is on you need to ease it by keeping shape and the pressure up on the opposition.

I'd really like some state on here to analyse our performance over the season when in 4-3-3 or 4-5-1, taking the example of yesterday as a 0-1 defeat in that shape.

The next worrying thing is that we have no central midfield back-up to Kayal and Stephens other than Sidwell, who along with Wilson, was awful yesterday. Time for JFC who is really popular at MK Dons to return in my book...

Scunner

Feb 26, 2012
Near Heathfield
Living the piss poor management that has us 3rd in the league playing lovely football.
We need some better headers of the ball, it's got **** all to do with tactics.

I disagree. Houghton has done well this season, for sure. But it's a classic NSC oversimplification to infer that criticism of an aspect of Hughton's management implies an absolute rejection of it. The bottom line is we got lucky at MK Dons, and we didn't yesterday and it was predictable. It's psychological and for me I would prefer it if he stopped doing it.

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face
I disagree. Houghton has done well this season, for sure. But it's a classic NSC oversimplification to infer that criticism of an aspect of Hughton's management implies an absolute rejection of it. The bottom line is we got lucky at MK Dons, and we didn't yesterday and it was predictable. It's psychological and for me I would prefer it if he stopped doing it.

Classic over simplification because you know better? So who in your opinion should have come on for Hemed? Greer maybe to actually defend a corner, or Lualua to probably not do a lot and be non-existent at their corners?

SittingbourneSeagull

Dec 27, 2007
Sittingbourne

That is also an over simplification. We played much better yesterday then we did against MK Dons. Burnley are a better side the MKD. We missed having another bigger striker on the bench to come on for Hemed. Yes Kaz or Skalek could have come on with Murphy going up top but we still wouldn't have held the ball any better.

Scunner

Feb 26, 2012
Near Heathfield
Classic over simplification because you know better? So who in your opinion should have come on for Hemed? Greer maybe to actually defend a corner, or Lualua to probably not do a lot and be non-existent at their corners?

Where did I say I know better? I just said 'I would prefer it'. You can obviously predict the future 'Kaz to..not do a lot", I prefer to consider the overall strategy of 'shoring up' the midfield when all it does is send out a message of 'let's keep what we have' to our team and 'they're sitting back, let's go for it' to the opposition. I disagree with it, if you have a different opinion that's wonderful for you, but let's leave out the personal stuff eh?

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
Except In the last 13 games for example he hasn't either of those as much as people think.
He's had 2 strikers on the bench nearly half the times, 6 out of 13 and this would have been more if Zamora had been fit as you say.
In the other 7 games he's either had Skalak or Manu as attacking options and also either Knockeart/Lua Lua as the spare winger so no exactly a defensive bench.

Sheff Weds - Zamora / Wilson
Preston - Zamora/Wilson
Leeds - Zamora / Wilson
Bristol City - Zamora / Wilson
Cardiff - Baldock/Hemed
Hull - Baldock/Zamora

Also in the last 13 games he's not replaced a forward with a midfielder or a winger/midfielder as frequently assumed and when he has, its in every case made no difference to the result until yesterday...

Brentford (Crofts on for Hemed when we were winning 2-0, went on to win 3-0)
Bolton (Lua Lua for Hemed, were winning 3-2, stayed 3-2)
Cardiff (Hemed on for Sidwell - were losing 3-0, lost 4-1)
Bristol City (Sidwell on for Hemed - were winning 4-0, won 4-0)
Leeds (Skalak on for Baldock - were winning 4-0, won 4-0)
Preston (Sidewll on for Hemed in last minute, were drawing 0-0, drew 0-0)
Reading (Bong on for Murphy with 13 mins to go, were winning 1-0, won 1-0)
MK Dons (Sidwell on for Skalak, with 13 mins to go, were winning 2-1, won 2-1)
(all the other subs were like for like, eg: Calde for Bruno, Lua Lua for Knockeart, Wilson for Hemed etc)
and we all know what happened yesterday. Except yesterday was also the first time all season we've gone up at the Amex and not gone on to win the game.

Show me the evidence that Hughton either a) makes overwhelmingly defensive substitutions and/or b) his substitutions often result in us losing the game.
I'm not sure it exists.

Brilliant analysis... Well done!

twickers

Jul 17, 2003
Unbelievable...he puts on Sidwell who has over 460 appearances and what does he go and do? He clears the ball off the line, just over the line actually, denying Burnley a goal.

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
Not the first time this season we've been in front and he has taken the striker(s) off and packed the midfield. Not a good idea; it has cost us before and it will continue to until he wises up that sitting on a lead just doesn't work.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here