Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Line of Duty

Quinney

Aug 3, 2009
Hastings
not see any of it so far but heard good things so was going to watch it. Do I need to have watched previous series or can I pick up from here?

You'll be able to pick it up. According to the wife I watched previous episodes but apart from a few scenes on the iplayer refresher I have no recollection. Very good first episode.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
Thanks for the heads up. Didnt even know it had started again.

We didn't know either, caught it entirely by chance. A programme about diverging fortunes of families from Salford had just finished, and we were about to put Narcos on on Netflix. It was a nice surprise from the announcer!

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Yes, Daniel Mays is superb. He exudes 'nasty', even when asking if he can kiss that girl. Great performance.

I remember in a previous series where a policewoman who seemed as if she would be a main character was thrown out of a window on a high building at the end of episode 1 (it's all flooding back!) Similar idea, seemingly.

I was getting to quite like her ...and then she was gone

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
I'm confused. Like others I specifically recall watching "Line of Duty" before, but watching last night Mrs P and I both kept saying oh he was in that thing a bit like this we watched before....

Was Daniel Mays in the previous series?

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
I'm confused. Like others I specifically recall watching "Line of Duty" before, but watching last night Mrs P and I both kept saying oh he was in that thing a bit like this we watched before....

Was Daniel Mays in the previous series?

Nope

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Look out for the gunshot residue interview. Tricky for a jury, especially as the interrogators seemed to be trying (failed) to trick Waldon ???

How could the gunshot residue be found five metres away if the gun had not been fired then? How would the interrogators know the the gun was five meters away? Only if Waldon has already been grassed up by one of his team?

perseus

Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Nuances seem easier to follow in this episode compared to the last series when it was all a bit complicated.

Acting is a bit good and hard to read the reactions (like when Waldon was told there was three audio witnesses). Mostly, I just go along for the ride with as many twists as a football match.

marlowe

Dec 13, 2015
I thought the last series with Keeley Hawes was great and kept you guessing till the end. There were lots of twists and blind alleys and they had us pretty convinced that she was innocent and being stitched up. This series is different in that we know from the start that he is guilty so its just a matter of finding out whether he gets away with it or not.
My immediate problem with the first episode is that I don't believe that the central character, Sgt Waldron would have engendered the kind of loyalty shown by his colleagues where they would have been prepared to put not only their careers on the line, but also their freedom. I'm not saying this sort of thing wouldn't happen, I know that it does, but for it to happen there has to be some sort of camaraderie or bond with the person you are covering up for. Waldron clearly isn't popular with his colleagues and they also alluded in the interview to the fact that he had a history of unpopularity with his fellow officers, to the extent that there was a pattern established of colleagues asking for transfers when working with him. He clearly has relationship forming issues, with the reference to him being single also being used to highlight this. I think, rather than close ranks the other officers would have jumped at the opportunity to get rid of him. If he had been a Sociopath who was also popular with his colleagues or who his colleagues respected then it might have been more believable, but not only did his colleagues clearly not like him, they didn't even seem to have any respect for him. And as for the closing ranks, they are not even closing ranks against an outsider which might have forced a reluctant unity amongst them because the outsider has already been shot dead, so it is not even their united antipathy towards the criminal that unifies them.
Other than that, I'm sure i'll really enjoy the series.
Who remembers Keeley Hawes, the chief suspect in the last series, in "Ashes to Ashes"? I first remember her in "Tipping the Velvet", the name of which was Victorian slang for Cunnilingus.

perseus

Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Lots of unanswered questions:

1) Ronan Murphy took his pistol out left-handed but Waldron put the gun in his right hand.(is it important?)
2) Only Steve Arnott mentioned the pistol 5 metres away, but how did he know unless one of the team grassed and Waldron would have sussed this (but he would not know who?).
3) Why would the gun five metres away have gunshot residue on the ground (where thrown) as it had not been fired until later? (was this a lie to try and trick Waldron?)

Prediction:

1) Waldron got shot by a booby trap protecting a drug stash.(Where did the information come from?)
2) Redacted file will not be recoverable for a few episodes.

http://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-r...e-one-tight-taut-and-twisted#comment-71271898

perseus

Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Writer has medical background. I think neck wounds cause a lot of blood but are recoverable? Booby trap? Not if the team stand around and watch though.

HHGull

BZ fan club
Dec 29, 2011
Just watched. Brilliant stuff. We're in for another great series.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Staggeringly good first episode. Apparently you have to be attuned to what happened in Series 2 to follow what's going on in this series, which probably explains why there was a pre-series catch-up which the BBC don't normally do. Something to do with Dot, I'd wager.

I thought the last series with Keeley Hawes was great and kept you guessing till the end. There were lots of twists and blind alleys and they had us pretty convinced that she was innocent and being stitched up. This series is different in that we know from the start that he is guilty so its just a matter of finding out whether he gets away with it or not.
My immediate problem with the first episode is that I don't believe that the central character, Sgt Waldron would have engendered the kind of loyalty shown by his colleagues where they would have been prepared to put not only their careers on the line, but also their freedom. I'm not saying this sort of thing wouldn't happen, I know that it does, but for it to happen there has to be some sort of camaraderie or bond with the person you are covering up for. Waldron clearly isn't popular with his colleagues and they also alluded in the interview to the fact that he had a history of unpopularity with his fellow officers, to the extent that there was a pattern established of colleagues asking for transfers when working with him. He clearly has relationship forming issues, with the reference to him being single also being used to highlight this. I think, rather than close ranks the other officers would have jumped at the opportunity to get rid of him. If he had been a Sociopath who was also popular with his colleagues or who his colleagues respected then it might have been more believable, but not only did his colleagues clearly not like him, they didn't even seem to have any respect for him. And as for the closing ranks, they are not even closing ranks against an outsider which might have forced a reluctant unity amongst them because the outsider has already been shot dead, so it is not even their united antipathy towards the criminal that unifies them.
Other than that, I'm sure i'll really enjoy the series.
Who remembers Keeley Hawes, the chief suspect in the last series, in "Ashes to Ashes"? I first remember her in "Tipping the Velvet", the name of which was Victorian slang for Cunnilingus.

Indeed.

Am I right in thinking that the questions that perseus is asking - what did Waldron do? / who did what to Waldron? / will they catch the guilty parties? - are all irrelevant?

This is surely a series about how corruption works, not a conventional crime and detection show.

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
Watched it the other night. Wished I'd watched the first series now.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here