Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Brussels Airport Terrorist attack

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
You really are unpleasant.
Aren't you being unfair? He's not making light of this atrocity is he? Unless I've misunderstood, isn't he just saying he thinks there's a big terrorist threat and he thinks the UK would be better out of the EU? Sure this thread is about the tragedy itself, but is he really being that unpleasant to talk about politics?

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Aren't you being unfair? He's not making light of this atrocity is he? Unless I've misunderstood, isn't he just saying he thinks there's a big terrorist threat and he thinks the UK would be better out of the EU? Sure this thread is about the tragedy itself, but is he really being that unpleasant to talk about politics?

Just the reaction to posters with different opinions. Did HT actually say anything deserving of derision?

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Just the reaction to posters with different opinions. Did HT actually say anything deserving of derision?
Oh I don't know, I guess I've misunderstood the point you were making. I thought you meant he was being callous by ignoring the plight of those involved in the attack.

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
This is key to fighting terrorism. I was watching BBC News channel with a security expert in the UK, explaining how vital this had been in the UK in deterring terrorists. The Muslim community had cooperated well here.

Belgium is a different kettle of fish unfortunately, and the area of Molenbeek was almost a no go area, which was why Abdeslam escaped capture for 4 months. Belgium was also not very good at sharing security information with other European countries.

Which is a 'bit' of a problem for us as these people, many who are EU citizens have a right to come here with little if any checks (show EU passport). The same applies to the numerous growing Muslim communities across Europe.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
:facepalm: The UK should share information with the free world, and we're an island. The idea that a country in the middle of Europe not sharing information is madness.

Maybe they were lulled into a false sense of security, not realising what was happening underground?

jimhigham

Je Suis Rhino
Apr 25, 2009
Woking
How would this stop somebody wheeling a suitcase full of explosives though the front door of the terminal and walking up to massive checking queue and blowing it up.

The same is true for any mainline station at rush hour.

Both your and Easy10's points are correct of course. I don't mean to suggest that this is an easy fix. All I mean by my comment is that does allow a fairly rapid response to an increased threat. Whether or not that response is adequate is another question entirely.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Maybe they were lulled into a false sense of security, not realising what was happening underground?
How could anyone in mainland Europe have any sense of security right now? I don't get it.

cunning fergus

Jan 18, 2009
Which is a 'bit' of a problem for us as these people, many who are EU citizens have a right to come here with little if any checks (show EU passport). The same applies to the numerous growing Muslim communities across Europe.

Security expert on the Daily Politics show this afternoon explains easy movement of terrorists across borders is a problem, political commentator agrees this issue will play into referendum.

Don't tell anyone on this thread though, pants will be literally filling up with p*** in some quarters.

Albion my Albion

NSC Patron
Feb 6, 2016
Indiana, USA
You really are unpleasant.

I assume you want to "feel" better about the situation and give due respect to the dead and injured. That is all fine and good. In the meantime there must be people who act quickly for the security of those who could fall under similar attacks. It can't be all about "feeling" good. The Americans "feel" good about what Trump is saying but he will not get one iota of prevention done about terrorists.

Seagull27

Feb 7, 2011
Bristol
The same is true for everywhere. Walk into a busy pub and there are loads of people in a confined area. Searching everyone before they go anywhere and before they get to the queue in which they're supposed to be searched is not an option.

We just need the usual anti-terrorist work to try and stop attacks, and we need to work with the Muslim community to help prevent people being radicalised and to arrest those that are recruiting them.

"BBC security correspondent Frank Gardner says it is "not a surprise" that this attack has taken place but says it is "shocking it was so successful".

He said since the Since Charlie Hebo attacks in Paris in January last year, which killed 12 people, there had been a number of terror cells "on the loose" that had been inspired by so-called Islamic State and had access to weapons and explosives.

He said Belgian intelligence services had been playing "catch-up" since then and did not have a "very good system" of sharing information across the various authorities.

He said attacks in Britain had been prevented by Muslim communities reporting suspicious behaviour to police but this was not yet happening in Belgium. "

Good to hear that we're doing something right in this regard.

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
Security expert on the Daily Politics show this afternoon explains easy movement of terrorists across borders is a problem, political commentator agrees this issue will play into referendum.

Don't tell anyone on this thread though, pants will be literally filling up with p*** in some quarters.

It's obviously an issue which has a direct impact on our security. I can see how some people may view this as not the time and place for looking at the wider ramifications but the discussion seems to have moved in this direction also I'm not sure when this period of respectful reflection finishes.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
He said attacks in Britain had been prevented by Muslim communities reporting suspicious behaviour to police but this was not yet happening in Belgium. "
Oh I so hope that's accurate. There must be so many Muslims in this country who are sick of having their faith dragged through the mud by these mentalists, but I imagine most of think there's nothing they can do.

I'd like to see more done to watch what Imams preach, and prosecute those that preach hate or encourage violence.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

My point was this was a reflective thread dealing with and discussing the terrible events of today. For sure discuss security. But if you want to start pushing an anti-EU agenda then there's a separate thread. And before anyone suggests the contrary, there is a difference between discussing security and the EU and pushing an anti-EU agenda. And yes one man's EU security discussion is another man's anti-EU agenda; but Fergus excitedly posts about nothing else so I can only presume with him it's the latter.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I'm not sure when this period of respectful reflection finishes.
There are over a thousand people murdered in the world every single day. There are presumably victims from this attack who are currently in hospital fighting for their lives. We should always be respectful of those that have been murdered, but I don't think we need to stop discussing the pertinent issues whilst remaining respectful.

Yoda

English & European

Across mainland Europe, yes, but not so much here. If they are on a watch list, this would get flagged up when purchasing tickets (be it plane, train or boat). People do forget we do have some control over our boarders.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
There are over a thousand people murdered in the world every single day. There are presumably victims from this attack who are currently in hospital fighting for their lives. We should always be respectful of those that have been murdered, but I don't think we need to stop discussing the pertinent issues whilst remaining respectful.

Agree

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
My point was this was a reflective thread dealing with and discussing the terrible events of today. For sure discuss security. But if you want to start pushing an anti-EU agenda then there's a separate thread.
You'd really need the thread title changed - perhaps start your own one that is specifically to pay respects etc.

And before anyone suggests the contrary, there is a difference between discussing security and the EU and pushing an anti-EU agenda.
I know there is, but it's almost inevitable that one will lead to the other. You start by discussing security, was it good enough and what can be done to improve it, and if someone genuinely thinks the best option to improve security is a political change then of course it might get said. I understand your point that some posters are more interested in specific topics than others, but we can hardly have it so that there's a list of posters who aren't allowed to comment.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
You'd really need the thread title changed - perhaps start your own one that is specifically to pay respects etc.

I know there is, but it's almost inevitable that one will lead to the other. You start by discussing security, was it good enough and what can be done to improve it, and if someone genuinely thinks the best option to improve security is a political change then of course it might get said.

1) I didn't say it was a thread to pay respects; I was trying to imply the tone was reflective.
2) As I said, there's a difference between a discussion and using it to push an agenda.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here