Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

What would it take to make the North Stand like this?

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
All jokes, smart arse comments and 'this has been said before' aside...

Can some one please tell me why the North stand is so split?

I understand you have two ends both singing, but when one end starts a song, which is clearly loud and catching on...why doesn't the other end just join?
please can some one just put my mind at rest. There mjst be some on here that have a strong opinion on it, love to hear why.

And lastly, talking of two ends singing...are the ones currently in the middle in a coma for 90 mins? or stewards dressed in casual clothes?

sensible answers please*

The northstand have 2 distinctive types of supporter , one being the old school goldstone type singers now in their 40s and 50s who still want to blast out the odd Your going home like Sandy Richardson , which in this ever so health and safety age is far to dangerous to be sung anymore , and the greater spotted student type with floppy hair and jeans so tight and skinny it makes them sound like girls at a one direction concert , yes i have been to one , its almost a competition rather than a concerted joint effort , yet when we play away the two factions mix ok and a good time is had by all , so in answer to the question , sorry i dont know .

albionite

May 20, 2009
Why we comparing north stand to away fans. Watford of all fans, have you been to vicarage library road?

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
I can only speculate that the floor of the police box blocks amd muffles the sound from those below it, and stops the songs travelling from there up to the WSU ? ???

The Kid Frankie

Sep 5, 2012
It doesn't need gimmicks or loo rolls or drums or any other fanny ideas from no marks.

Go to the pub, meet your mates, get nutted. Then go game and the rest will fall into place.

bn1&bn3 Albion

Jan 15, 2011
Portslade
All jokes, smart arse comments and 'this has been said before' aside...

Can some one please tell me why the North stand is so split?

I understand you have two ends both singing, but when one end starts a song, which is clearly loud and catching on...why doesn't the other end just join?
please can some one just put my mind at rest. There mjst be some on here that have a strong opinion on it, love to hear why.

And lastly, talking of two ends singing...are the ones currently in the middle in a coma for 90 mins? or stewards dressed in casual clothes?

sensible answers please*

Partly due to a lot of people in the middle of the NS refusing to join in(f*ck knows why) and partly down to the acoustics. Having stood in both singing sections I have found that when the other singing section are singing it can be hard to hear/understand what song is being sung, even harder if you also happen to be singing a song at the same time. It needs one of two things to happen, either the two groups join together(requires the club's help to move so many people into one section) or, a much easier option, the people in between these two groups start bloody joining in.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
Partly due to a lot of people in the middle of the NS refusing to join in(f*ck knows why) and partly down to the acoustics. Having stood in both singing sections I have found that when the other singing section are singing it can be hard to hear/understand what song is being sung, even harder if you also happen to be singing a song at the same time. It needs one of two things to happen, either the two groups join together(requires the club's help to move so many people into one section) or, a much easier option, the people in between these two groups start bloody joining in.

sounds more like a job for this bloke

09593de6f91f94ba91d3d313fc2f5b08480b7815.jpg

The Sock of Poskett

The best is yet to come (spoiler alert)
Jun 12, 2009

Can't speak for everyone else stood around me just to the left behind the goal in North Stand, but generally speaking here's what happens:
1 When there's a loud song that's audible coming from the right, we join in
2 When there's a loud song that's audible coming from the left, we join in (more likely as the bunch singing are much nearer so easier to hear)
3 When it's a bit quiet we start one ourselves. Sometimes it spreads the rest of the block joins in
4 Sometimes we start a song but there's only a few of us, so if a louder song drifts over from either side we stop ours and join in that one

Great as our stadium is, sound really doesn't travel well and we have to live with it.

You are never going to get the North Stand easily all singing as one without the bulk of the singers being bunched together in the middle. How you MAKE that happen I have no idea. The most successful moments are often generated by people near one of the signs bashing it and getting a clapping chant going.
In the meantime, get behind the team and recognise the fact some people wouldn't sing if you put a stick of dynamite under them. C'est la vie.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
It doesn't need gimmicks or loo rolls or drums or any other fanny ideas from no marks.

Go to the pub, meet your mates, get nutted. Then go game and the rest will fall into place.

I think the point is that this isn't the case. People have to accept that the game has changed and constant singing and shouting only really happens very occasionally. Certainly when the team are on song , battering the opposition, then the atmosphere in the ground is brilliant.

The days of the " lads behind the goal" has gone.

crookie

Jun 14, 2013
Back in Sussex
Can't speak for everyone else stood around me just to the left behind the goal in North Stand, but generally speaking here's what happens:
1 When there's a loud song that's audible coming from the right, we join in
2 When there's a loud song that's audible coming from the left, we join in (more likely as the bunch singing are much nearer so easier to hear)
3 When it's a bit quiet we start one ourselves. Sometimes it spreads the rest of the block joins in
4 Sometimes we start a song but there's only a few of us, so if a louder song drifts over from either side we stop ours and join in that one

Great as our stadium is, sound really doesn't travel well and we have to live with it.

You are never going to get the North Stand easily all singing as one without the bulk of the singers being bunched together in the middle. How you MAKE that happen I have no idea. The most successful moments are often generated by people near one of the signs bashing it and getting a clapping chant going.
In the meantime, get behind the team and recognise the fact some people wouldn't sing if you put a stick of dynamite under them. C'est la vie.

Very true, I've been in most parts of the North, except the far west, and join in with whatever song is started, some last longer than others, some hardly get off the ground, but yes it is frustrating that the whole stand hardly ever sings in unison

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I don't agree.

The sound travels fantastically well from the away fans!

I think acoustically the stadium is fantastic and sound travels so well you can almost see it.
But that sound needs to be generated and that's where 'we' fall down.
We're just not loud enough, or to be precise there isn't enough people being loud enough.

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
I don't agree.

I think acoustically the stadium is fantastic and sound travels so well you can almost see it.
We're just not loud enough, or to be precise there isn't enough people being loud enough.
The problem is the opposite. There are too many of us making too much noise which is why we can't hear each other.

For one of the cup games with a very small crowd a few years ago, when we all sat in WSL, you could clearly hear the chanting from a tiny group of about 15 away fans in ESU...

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
The problem is the opposite. There are too many of us making too much noise which is why we can't hear each other.

For one of the cup games with a very small crowd a few years ago, when we all sat in WSL, you could clearly hear the chanting from a tiny group of about 15 away fans in ESU...

Hmmm, there's something in that, but the implication is 90 minutes of 'faction' singing, that just isn't the case.

Sure there's going to be the odd time when different songs start at the same time, but that just isn't a justifiable for the AMEX.
From the shhhhh Family Stand (I freely admit to being the problem not the cure) those under the police box come across not loud but clear.
Anyone in the rest of North stand can hear that, for whatever reason they might not like it, but they can hear it.
But even then it's sporadic at best.

I don't have a problem with 'us' being all but silent, but we need to be honest about it.

- We always have been.
- It's not the stadium acoustics.
- It's not rival groups.
- There is a lack of imagination.
- On this issue there isn't a bond between the players and fans.

Face facts we can't even sing the right bloody words when they are written on a jumbotron screen

But as said before the real kick in the knackers comes when, on the rare occasion we do actually own the stadium it is fookin amazing, just oh so rare.

Last edited:

bn1&bn3 Albion

Jan 15, 2011
Portslade
I don't agree.

The sound travels forward really well, it doesn't travel along the NS though.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
The sound travels forward really well, it doesn't travel along the NS though.
It doesn't seem to have any problem getting from the police box to the family stand (north east corner)

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Rose tinted glasses. 8/10 games the atmosphere at The Goldstone was bang average.

I have to agree with that. Yes once it got rocking it was great but it took quite a lot for that to happen. Brighton certainly had to be winning. The Brighton crowd has always needed a kick start, often a bad ref!

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
Magnificent effort from WSU today with synchro bog roll luzzing at end of SBTS... More the merrier - will be going again at the Leeds game.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here