Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Tactics

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
Ok I will amend that to the latter stages of the game rather than exactly the last 10 mins but they were all chances that they could have scored with. Nobody is saying they had many but 1 may have been enough to give them a lift and my point is had one of those chsnces gone in the whole situation may have been different but through resilience and good fortune they didnt score. That doesnt detract from the fact they could have.

So basically you're saying the footballing equivalent to 'if my aunt had balls, she'd be my uncle'

It's a game of football, either team can score and at any point. Because we won convincingly, were in control and never looked like losing isn't a reason to say that we were hanging on because what if they had scored at 2-0..... We had an easy, convincing and comfortable victory and at no point were we in trouble in the second half

What would you have preferred? - we continue to play end to end, open football, allowing their quick players to counter attack us and cause us far more problems that they otherwise did? What if they had got a draw from that? - would you be saying we should have shut up shop and adopted similar tactics to the ones we used last night to get the result instead?

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
So basically you're saying the footballing equivalent to 'if my aunt had balls, she'd be my uncle'

It's a game of football, either team can score and at any point. Because we won convincingly, were in control and never looked like losing isn't a reason to say that we were hanging on because what if they had scored at 2-0..... We had an easy, convincing and comfortable victory and at no point were we in trouble in the second half

What would you have preferred? - we continue to play end to end, open football, allowing their quick players to counter attack us and cause us far more problems that they otherwise did? What if they had got a draw from that? - would you be saying we should have shut up shop and adopted similar tactics to the ones we used last night to get the result instead?

Actually your post made me think that maybe these tactics yesterday would be good against Bristol City, i seem to remember that they had pacy players up front and caused us problems. Soaking a bit up and hitting them on the break could be a good plan.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
My heart was in my mouth a few times.

What did you think was going to happen before the match against the team that has scored the most away goals in the division (23 goals from 15 matches)?

CH stumped them by doing what Poyet's brainwashed fans find incoherent and perplexing - allowing the opposition controlled possession. Brentford were never going to break two banks of 5 and 4. I'm sorry these tactics have left you confused, stupefied and befuddled but hopefully you'll better understand counter attack tactics for the next match (although we won't be using them)! :cheers:

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I am not a fan of counter attacking at home aw ay yes but not at home, although it worked yesterday I am more in favour of putting constant pressure on the opponents.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I didn't think the second half, for the most part, was that entertaining. Sitting back and letting them have the ball wasn't that fun. I don't really remember us counter-attacking much until the last ten minutes.

Having said that, the only time I can think of in the second half that I was even slightly concerned Brentford were going to score, is when Stockdale came for a cross and collided with Dunk, and the ball going through to a Bees player at the far post. I thought he skied it, but apparently it was blocked by Wilson? Murphy?

I can understand people not enjoying the second half, but to suggest we could have conceded and lost seems like nothing I watched.

Behind Enemy Lines

Jul 18, 2003
London
Friendly criticism here. The result says it worked on Friday. And with a few pacey players it makes sense away to play counter-attacking football away from home but at times our tendency to sit back is very frustrating to watch, particularly at The Amex. How many times this season have we been ahead only then to sit back and invite trouble? On Friday this was compounded by the risible time wasting by Stockdale in the first half, which was just pathetic. I don't want to ever to see that again from a Brighton player. In the first half, at home! What did he did he was doing. What sort of message does that send out? I hope Bruno, as captain ,gave him the mother of all bollockings. And whilst we're taking tactics, why do we always pull every man back at opposition corners or set-prices rather then leaving one man up so they have to leave two back? I don't get it. Why not leave Wilson or Kaz, when back, up as an outlet..?

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
CH stumped them by doing what Poyet's brainwashed fans find incoherent and perplexing - allowing the opposition controlled possession. Brentford were never going to break two banks of 5 and 4.
I'm not criticising Chris's tactics, but the suggestion our two banks of 5 and 4 were never going to be broken isn't right, since Brentford had a few good opportunities to score, and should have taken at least one.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I'm not criticising Chris's tactics, but the suggestion our two banks of 5 and 4 were never going to be broken isn't right, since Brentford had a few good opportunities to score, and should have taken at least one.

According to most on here Brentford had no chances and didnt look like scoring a goal but not in the game I watched.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
According to most on here Brentford had no chances and didnt look like scoring a goal but not in the game I watched.
We agree BG - let's celebrate!

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
I and a few others were a bit puzzled tonight when CH's tactics were to literally shut up shop at half time.
Yes we won 3-0 brilliant, but it really could have backfired on him tonight and almost did.
They were hitting us fairly hard throughout the second half, it was just something we noticed and seemed a very strange thing to do.
Shouldn't we have been attacking them straight from the onset of the second half to get that extra 3rd goal earlty to make our last
forty minutes a damn sight easier than it was.

Not a moan just an observation it was very odd.

Surely the bit in bold is the important part here? They were 2-0 down., fired up and came at us hard. It wasn't like we were deliberately sitting that deep and misplacing passes, they came at us hard. That period we had to defend. Once Crofts came on it all got a bit easier and by the end we were breaking at will.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Indeed, Brentford were very, very poor, and had just 2 or 3 chances all game. We should have won by 5 or 6 clear goals, maybe on another day it will all click for us.

Phat Baz 68

Get a ****ing life mate !
Apr 16, 2011
Indeed, Brentford were very, very poor, and had just 2 or 3 chances all game. We should have won by 5 or 6 clear goals, maybe on another day it will all click for us.

Brentford were very good going forward but lacked a decent striker however they had a good few shots on goal and if Stockdale hadn't made three good saves they would have scored especially the point blank shot they had on goal very early in the first half.
I swear people only see what they want to on here. Its ridiculous. They only remember the good Albion parts of the game and not the other teams.

FamilyGuy

Jul 8, 2003
Crawley
I and a few others were a bit puzzled tonight when CH's tactics were to literally shut up shop at half time.
Yes we won 3-0 brilliant, but it really could have backfired on him tonight and almost did.
They were hitting us fairly hard throughout the second half, it was just something we noticed and seemed a very strange thing to do.
Shouldn't we have been attacking them straight from the onset of the second half to get that extra 3rd goal earlty to make our last
forty minutes a damn sight easier than it was.

Not a moan just an observation it was very odd.

A mate of mine is a born and bred Norwich fan and when CH took over at Brighton he warned me about this tactic - apparently he was "well known for it" at Norwich.
I have to say that I've been frustrated at times about our apparent inability to tighten the screws on teams this season when we are in front.
But it worked on Friday didn't it!?

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
however they had a good few shots on goal and if Stockdale hadn't made three good saves they would have scored especially the point blank shot they had on goal very early in the first half.
I swear people only see what they want to on here. Its ridiculous. They only remember the good Albion parts of the game and not the other teams.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/35435908

They had 1 shot on goal. One. Their one in the 1st half, which if you look at this highlight video as not 'point blank' range, but from (at a guess) around 14/15 yards out.
http://www.skysports.com/watch/vide.../championship/10157078/brighton-3-0-brentford

I swear that people don't have a clue what they're talking about. It's ridiculous. They don't even remember the bits of the game they're supposed to be critiquing.

Da Man Clay

T'Blades
Dec 16, 2004
Brentford were very good going forward but lacked a decent striker however they had a good few shots on goal and if Stockdale hadn't made three good saves they would have scored especially the point blank shot they had on goal very early in the first half.

What saves? They had one shot on target (and that was a good save). It happened in the first 10 minutes though and was nothing to do with us going to 4-5-1. Point out another save he had to make. You keep repeating the same thing but have no basis for it. They had plenty of possession but zero end product.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
A mate of mine is a born and bred Norwich fan and when CH took over at Brighton he warned me about this tactic - apparently he was "well known for it" at Norwich.
I have to say that I've been frustrated at times about our apparent inability to tighten the screws on teams this season when we are in front.
But it worked on Friday didn't it!?
Friday was different, we started the second half with a 2 goal lead, a fresh Wilson, and the on form Murphy and Knockaert, so we were well placed to counter attack.

It's not like we've always sat on 1 goal leads this season, we've gone a couple up a few times.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here