Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Rohan Ince

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
Luckily, I think the manager has watched the same one as me, hence the 4 midfielders ahead of him.

The funny thing is, I'm the ULTIMATE defender of players. I can normally see the good qualities even if its submerged in other poorer ones. Seriously, check on NSC. I defended Billy Paynter :lolol:

However, with Rohan, I just can pretend anymore. If at 23 you lack the BASIC footballing abilities (which even his "pro" camp acknowledge he lacks), then I have little hope that you will suddenly improve with this.

Do I HOPE the bloke will go out on loan, storm it at Fulham and come back a better player? absolutely. But I just can't see that happening.

I agree with all your comments re Mr Ince, he is still much better than Crofts though, who at 30 odd or whetever he is has even less football ability, yet he escapes your wrath ! ;-)

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I agree with all your comments re Mr Ince, he is still much better than Crofts though, who at 30 odd or whetever he is has even less football ability, yet he escapes your wrath ! ;-)

I don't think there's much in it between the two. Crofts has a better first touch and slightly more composure though, I reckon.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England

I'd say Crofts is better on the ball than Ince which is key for that role.

If you had crofts but made him the size of Ince, people would think he was the next big thing.

Alternatively, if you shrunk Rohan into the size of Crofts, people would think he's atrocious.

Again, its the Micah Richards effect. size and power can hide a LOT of issues, His second touch is usually a tackle......fortunately for him the British LOVE a tackle.....and forget the horrendous touch prior to it.

sllugaes

Dec 15, 2012
I think Ronan has the ability to become a premier regular, he looked like he was going to be a multi million pound player when he burst on to the scene. Since then he has gone a little backwards, remember some of his runs into opposition territory, if he is confident and allowed to play his natural game he could be a gem of a player.
Yep I believe there is more than just a sitter in front of a back four, has the ability to burst through with pace. Has to do that more (if allowed by manager at the time) IMHO I believe Ince has some skill, yes he possesses a strange passing style, showing the pass, although many a game I thought he showed that he also had quite quick feet for a big man, and is capable of beating a man. Confidence appears to be an issue, when dropped from plans with Hypia after a number of good games under garcia, and then when Stephens came straight back into the side (before Stephens had actually showed any form at all to justify his place) must have started wondering where he stood, and then cast aside from the bench when crofts was back realised he certainly did not figure. Hope he is allowed to play with a little freedom, and show "he can" be an all around midfielder. Make it happen, start playing, build confidence and prove those at brighton that you are a good championship, maybe premier league player!

sllugaes

Dec 15, 2012
I'm going to disagree with a few people and say the mistake that's been made with Ince is that he's been pigeon-holed as a defensive holding midfielder, when that's not his best position. He isn't particularly great at sitting in front of the back four & breaking up play from deep - Bridcutt was quality at that. Ince was at his best during Oscar's season when he was given licence to CHUNK his way through midfield - basically he was told to use his size to dominate the middle of the park. Hyppia started his decline (like he did with every player we had), and unfortunately Hughton believes he plays in the holding role.
Totally - my thoughts exactly - you have articulated as i have thought for some time. Have always said there is more to him then just a sitter. A waste.

sllugaes

Dec 15, 2012
Tip 1. Widen the Craven Cottage pitch to allow for stray passes.
Tip 2. Replace the centre circle with a train turntable to allow for Rohan to pivot on the spot rather than his usual turning circle of a cruise liner.
Tip 3. Accept he's one of those FOOT-BALL-ers who isn't very good with the BALL at his FOOT.
Tip 4. Just keep saying "he's so tall and powerful" and "he's still young" to cover the other major issues in his game. Let's call it the Micah Richards syndrome.
Tip 5. Then get criticised by fellow fans for daring to actually see that he isn't very good, and not sticking to the "he has potential" and "he will improve" when, at 23, he really should be able to control a ball and pass it 99% of the time.

But hey, he's made 2 good tackles in games we lost so all is good.
Harsh

BrightonCottager

Sep 30, 2013
Brighton
Many thanks to all of you for your views. We certainly need a defensive midfielder as our goal difference and league position amply demonstrate and we have quite a few attacking midfielders already. I only hope Ince can get the ball to them as inaccurate passing seems to be a theme.

As someone has noticed, we have a statto from the US game involved but other backroom staff have the final say and this has been the best transfer window since Berbatov arrived. Mainly for keeping hold of McCormack. I only hope that Ince gets a run in the team so we can all see his true potential. In reality, I feel a midtable position is the best we can achieve unless the new coach and players can gel and we put together a good run. However, it's Derby at home on Saturday.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
For me, Rohan Ince needs to decide what he wants to do in a team. I think he's stuck with a bit of an identity crisis which is why he hasn't been able to nail down a place here. He's not really a holding midfielder because he doesn't have the understanding of the game, he can't read the play and he's not good enough to play such a disciplined role at a high level. He's not really a box to box player because his touch is hilarious and he can't pick a pass. He's not really a centre back either because he's seemingly afraid of hurting anyone when the ability to cause physical harm is crucial for a defender.

In summary, Rohan Ince. What does he do?

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
For me, Rohan Ince needs to decide what he wants to do in a team. I think he's stuck with a bit of an identity crisis which is why he hasn't been able to nail down a place here. He's not really a holding midfielder because he doesn't have the understanding of the game, he can't read the play and he's not good enough to play such a disciplined role at a high level. He's not really a box to box player because his touch is hilarious and he can't pick a pass. He's not really a centre back either because he's seemingly afraid of hurting anyone when the ability to cause physical harm is crucial for a defender.

In summary, Rohan Ince. What does he do?

I was going to say.....you're running out of roles for him.....which says it all!

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Many thanks to all of you for your views. We certainly need a defensive midfielder as our goal difference and league position amply demonstrate and we have quite a few attacking midfielders already. I only hope Ince can get the ball to them as inaccurate passing seems to be a theme.

As someone has noticed, we have a statto from the US game involved but other backroom staff have the final say and this has been the best transfer window since Berbatov arrived. Mainly for keeping hold of McCormack. I only hope that Ince gets a run in the team so we can all see his true potential. In reality, I feel a midtable position is the best we can achieve unless the new coach and players can gel and we put together a good run. However, it's Derby at home on Saturday.

Please beat Derby.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
fortunately for him the British LOVE a tackle.....and forget the horrendous touch prior to it.

A HUMUNGOUS amount of this. This should be its own thread.

An English crowd loves a player tackling back after losing the ball FAR more than they appreciate said player NOT LOSING THE BALL IN THE FIRST PLACE.

It's so insanely backwards. Can't get my head around it. At all.

theboybilly

Ince looked pretty good 2 seasons ago under Garcia but hasn't improved like I hoped he would. I was rather hoping he'd be sold off if I'm honest to free up wages (I often forget he's even in the squad now). He's 23 and still looks like a rabbit caught in headlights at times, but that Arsenal tackle still echoes around the stadium :)

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
I know there's a lot of hate for Ince on here, particularly from certain posters, but here's just a few more statistics to disagree with your (totally subjective) points.

Last season, when Ince played very regularly, he was dispossessed less than once a game (0.9 times), and he made less than 1 unsuccessful touch per game (0.7 times) i.e. he lost the ball due to a bad touch.

That's less than Kayal, Crofts, March, Calderon, Bruno, Baldock, Texeira when he was here, plus most of the rest of the squad that was here last year... In fact, of the current regulars, the only players with better numbers are Stockdale (a goalkeeper who rarely gets pressurised), Greer and Dunk (our two centre-backs who rarely venture past the half way line) and Stephens. Basically, people spouting rubbish about "his first touch always leads to his second touch being a tackle" - well, the numbers disagree.

And if you want proof of what he does, go on whoscored.com and take a look at his defensive statistics in our team for last season and the season before (you know, when he was a regular). They'll give you an idea about what role he has to play in a team that appreciates his abilities.

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
Good, strong player. Will protect the back four well and add a lot of athleticism to the team. Hope he get's the game time to silence some of his critics.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I know there's a lot of hate for Ince on here, particularly from certain posters, but here's just a few more statistics to disagree with your (totally subjective) points.

Last season, when Ince played very regularly, he was dispossessed less than once a game (0.9 times), and he made less than 1 unsuccessful touch per game (0.7 times) i.e. he lost the ball due to a bad touch.

That's less than Kayal, Crofts, March, Calderon, Bruno, Baldock, Texeira when he was here, plus most of the rest of the squad that was here last year... In fact, of the current regulars, the only players with better numbers are Stockdale (a goalkeeper who rarely gets pressurised), Greer and Dunk (our two centre-backs who rarely venture past the half way line) and Stephens. Basically, people spouting rubbish about "his first touch always leads to his second touch being a tackle" - well, the numbers disagree.

And if you want proof of what he does, go on whoscored.com and take a look at his defensive statistics in our team for last season and the season before (you know, when he was a regular). They'll give you an idea about what role he has to play in a team that appreciates his abilities.

Please point me towards the HATE for Rohan Ince.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here