Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Let's catch the scumbag who did this

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Situations like this one...I don't know how police officers have the restraint not to give someone like this at the very least a little dig in the ribs when arresting them. I really don't. I'm not for a second advocating police brutality obviously, but just natural human emotion. I dunno. It's tough.

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
Not really the done thing any more, at least not like it used to be.

Chest compressions are the thing these days, as the theory goes that putting oxygen into somebody's body by breathing for them is no bloody use if the heart isn't beating anyway. The residual oxygen in the blood should do in the short term, so long as it's being circulated.

Thirty compressions to a couple of breaths (for adults), then repeat. If it helps, or you're likely to lose count (like me), then sing the chorus from Nellie the Elephant to yourself twice while you're doing it. If you're doing the compressions in time, then that's your thirty. Whether you sing out loud or in your head is up to you :D

You've probably found them like this one Edna, Ugly Fu**er with his head spilt wide open and that funny grey waxed look. I got as close as I was going and then strolled back to my comfy signal box and called the people who deal with these things.
Another one I saw that I wasn't going to give the kiss of to either was a woman that went over the top of a car park, That was Yucky.
As you can probably tell I'm not big on the kiss of life.:sick:

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Completely agree with you. I can't handle things like that very well but would like to think I'd have done something (easy to sit here and say that I know...) Just out of interest, what would be the basics in that situation - I'm not ashamed to ask and of course, should know. Personally I'd take off jumper to try and stem the bleeding? I'd most certainly be on the 999 call asking for advice and following instructions - that would be my first thought...

Well the standard procedure that we get taught, and which is the way St John Ambulance would tell you to approach it, is a primary survey, something like this:

-check for dangers. What has happened to put this person in this position, and is it a danger to you (have they touched a live electrical circuit, for example?)

-look for a response. Are they conscious or unconscious? Ask them, shout at them, gently shake their shoulders, pinch them or poke them (within reason!). Some injured people won't respond to sound but they will to pain, which gives you an idea that they're at least slightly conscious.

-call for help, whether that's shouting or getting somebody to dial 999

-check their airway. Is it obstructed, by something external, or internal (e.g. choking). If it's obstructed, then you need to clear it before you can do anything else.

-check for breathing. You might be able to see it if their chest is rising & falling. Put your hand under their nose, you may be able to feel it, or see it in the air if it's cold etc. Give it a good few seconds to do this, as they might be breathing but it's very shallow. Or you might mistake some other movement for breathing, so be sure. If they're breathing, then other things are secondary. If they're not, then you need to start CPR (chest compressions) as I mentioned previously. Thirty compressions to two rescue breaths in most cases.

-circulation- essentially means bleeding. If there's some sort of severe bleed then you need to try and stop that too, which may not be easy if you're alone and trying to carry out CPR as well.

If you've done all that and are happy that they're breathing, then you can conduct the secondary survey. But everything else can wait if they're not breathing.

We got given the old DRs ABC mnemonic (Dangers- Response- Shout for help- Airway- Breathing- Circulation).

:thumbsup:

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
Sorry - didn't read whole thread - so it would be best not to try and stem bleeding if it's something like that - IE don't touch them because of potential spinal injuries..?

Just to clarify my brother/mother are nurses and know this shit, I've just done a few first aid courses BUT..

If there was bleeding, and it was life-threatening, then yes it should be stopped. Ideally you wouldn't move the injured person if a spinal injury to suspected, but if it's a case of keeping them breathing/heart beating then that's obviously more important than a suspected injury. Making sure you, and the person you're helping, are out of harms way is important too - which makes accidents in the road even more complicated.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Situations like this one...I don't know how police officers have the restraint not to give someone like this at the very least a little dig in the ribs when arresting them. I really don't. I'm not for a second advocating police brutality obviously, but just natural human emotion. I dunno. It's tough.
Chances are the person who did this isn't a 'scumbag'.
They are just a normal person, let's say a mother, with a couple of young children.
She could be your neighbour, a colleague, even a distant friend.

Their actions, no different to most other peoples, has put them in a life changing situation.
That 'one in a million' 'it'll never happen to me' circumstance did happen to them and they panicked.

We all think we wouldn't do that, we wouldn't be in that situation, we'd do the right thing, but by the grace of whoever we don't actually know for sure.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003

Must indeed be very tough, and total respect for practising professional restraint. Tho the publishing or whispering of the perp's name and address usually has, rightly or wrongly. some kind of local effect...

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sorry - didn't read whole thread - so it would be best not to try and stem bleeding if it's something like that - IE don't touch them because of potential spinal injuries..?

Check their airway and breathing. If he's not breathing, then any spinal injuries are irrelevant, as he's going to die anyway.

No breathing means you may (depending on their position) need to move them, so you can open their airway and then start CPR. Moving them can be done carefully, but it would need to be done. Then you can look at bleeding, and whether it's life threatening or not :thumbsup:

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
They are just a normal person, let's say a mother, with a couple of young children.

Their actions, no different to most other peoples, has put them in a life changing situation.
That 'one in a million' 'it'll never happen to me' circumstance did happen to them and they panicked.

We all think we wouldn't do that, we wouldn't be in that situation, we'd do the right thing, but by the grace of whoever we don't actually know for sure.

Would'nt the reaction of a normal person be to hit the brake and wonder what the hell has just happened? Not just keep going like nothing happened?

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
So they've found the car, and hence the owner. Is the owner saying they weren't driving it at the time, and it can't be proved otherwise right now?

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013

I'd say its far more likely this person is some what of a scumbag actually but we'll see I guess

theboybilly

Just noticed that a woman walking towards accident sees it happen then hot foots back from whence she came. Unbelievable.

That is so wrong to judge her like that. The poor woman has just witnessed the most horrid thing imaginable and her natural instinct has seen her turn away. You haven't been able to see what she may have done once she'd gathered herself. She could have been onto the emergency services at the same time as the gentleman on scene. To be perfectly honest this would likely have a similar effect on me and, just for a few seconds hopefully, I would have to stop and take things in and then been of some help.

scamander

Aug 9, 2011
So they've found the car, and hence the owner. Is the owner saying they weren't driving it at the time, and it can't be proved otherwise right now?

Imagine that's the case - owner could claim they weren't driving or it was stolen etc. Police need to ID the driver at the time of the incident I'd imagine.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Would'nt the reaction of a normal person be to hit the brake and wonder what the hell has just happened? Not just keep going like nothing happened?

Absolutely, it's clear I'm not defending them and what they did.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton

What qualifies someone as a scumbag? Bearing in mind we have CCTV evidence that the way they were driving meant it was very likely they were going to hit and quite probably kill someone?

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Yep, I guess you don't want to sing it out loud.

You can sing it at the top of your voice if it's helping you save somebody's life :)

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Sincerely hope its got nothing to do with the school run which is usually about the only real area of frenzied driver activity around that midweek mid-afternoon time of day.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003

Won't comment on that, as it's an ongoing investigation. But there are a number of lines of enquiry being explored, even before today's public appeal for information. For a good few hours after this incident happened, it was being treated as a potentially fatal collision. It's only an extraordinary piece of good fortune that's led to the chap's survival.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here