Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

So who's this KIT NAPIER?

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
When googling Kit Napier I came across a very old NSC thread where On the Left Wing had tracked him down to Durban and asked him to write to John Prescott in support of the new Stadium. Just another example of the lengths people went to during campaining:

http://www.northstandchat.com/showthread.php?17079-I-ve-found-Kit-Napier!

The car dealership in question is still there but he isn't - long retired I would expect.

The Antikythera Mechanism

The oldest known computer
NSC Patron
Aug 7, 2003
Kit Napier 66-72
Alex Dawson 68-71

image.jpeg

Side by side

Cheshire

Jul 20, 2003
1066 Country
That goal was one of the most memorable I have ever seen and spot on as described by Not Andy Naylor. I also more than one goal from a corner, and his corners generally caused havoc in defences.

What I haven't seen mentioned is that Kit Napier wasn't universally appreciated by many fans at the time. Tackling and physical contact were not his strengths and quite a few fans considered him a fairy or worse........................, he was great to watch and definitely a Goldstone legend!

On the physical contact front, as well as memories of most of the mentions in this thread, seem to remember in the days of muddy pitches the rest of the team would come off with kit looking dirty and he would walk off with his kit looking as clean as when he had entered the pitch.

Napier's Knee

Mar 23, 2014
West Sussex
The man behind my NSC name. I remember him as being very hairy, nicotine stained fingers and one of the all time Albion greats. He had skill, imagination and humour. He was my first Albion hero. Wanted to have Alan Duffy as a hero too but he turned out not to be very good

wolfie

Jul 19, 2003
Warwickshire
In my time following the Albion (1959 - Present) the top goalscorers have been:

K Napier 99
Ward 95
Zamora 89
Nogan 60
Connor 59
Nelson 59
Murray 57
Barnes 53
Forster 51

Nobody else above 50, in all competitions. Having said that, the player who I saw scoring the most was the superb Jimmy Collins (an inside forward - attacking midfield player of today) who seemed to score in every game during the 60s.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
He's still alive? Must confess, given I've never seen him at Withdean or The Amex I assumed he died years ago!

Long mat heat commute from Durban :shrug:

Love that photo. Nobby Lawton not had a mention yet - proper old school player!

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
The man behind my NSC name. I remember him as being very hairy, nicotine stained fingers and one of the all time Albion greats. He had skill, imagination and humour. He was my first Albion hero. Wanted to have Alan Duffy as a hero too but he turned out not to be very good

I remember Alan Duffy being very, very good - just not for very long :)

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Ken was a lovely bloke and nobody's fool. After leaving us he went to yesterday's opponents, Blackburn, and became Commercial Manager right up to about 3 years ago I believe. If I remember right we had Howard Wilkinson, latterly FA bigwig and briefly England Manager (I think?) in the side around the same time Ken came to the club (certainly at the same time Kit was here).

Wilkinson spent 5 years with us, the same as he spent at Wednesday (with whom he is normally associated). He was a bow legged winger. I saw him play. My recollection is he was on the left, and 'Tiger' Tawse was on the right, but I have a notoriously poor feel for formation :lolol:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here