Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Restaurant 2016

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
SEMOLINA

I've just been blown away. Didn't have a clue about this place and I can't believe the value.

I had a 3 course set menu lunch of 1) warm goats cheese, walnut & beetroot salad; 2) pork belly, red cabbage and celeriac and 3) tarte tatin. Every single but was impeccably cooked and tasted incredible. The whole lot came to £15. FIFTEEN QUID.

Brilliant.

I did there set lunch too a few months back. I wouldn't rave about the quality to the extent that you have, but it's cracking value, and well worth repeated visits.

Jul 7, 2003
I am old fashioned and a main course must have potatoes of which Dauphinoise are my favourites. to accompany most dishes.

Classic - just cream and garlic - or the more annoying version with cheese?

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
On a serious note pub fans on the west side of town should note that The Schooner on Southwick seafront is currently on fire. The photo I've seen on FB looks pretty bad with smoke everywhere and 2 fire engines. Typically we were booked in for tomorrow night. I can't say the food there has been great - in fact downhill for a while - but nice ales and wines and a passable burger and very near the mates we were going to go with. I genuinely hope it's ok, I like Fiona a lot and it would leave The Railway as the only decent pub in the area again.

Jul 7, 2003
The correct and IMHO the best version is cheese cream and plenty of garlic on each layer of potato.

No, the correct version is without cheese. What you like is Gratin Dauphinois.

As someone who can't eat cheese, this obsession with putting cheese on things is really annoying- especially when not properly named or described.

Have you been to the Old Oak Barn in Burgess Hill? I had a very nice slow roasted pork belly there which came with dauphinois.

Eggman

Jul 8, 2003
West Sussex
dee53d01e17b74603d55a377a1cb9e71.jpg

Soon to open on Western Road.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
SEMOLINA

I've just been blown away. Didn't have a clue about this place and I can't believe the value.

I had a 3 course set menu lunch of 1) warm goats cheese, walnut & beetroot salad; 2) pork belly, red cabbage and celeriac and 3) tarte tatin. Every single but was impeccably cooked and tasted incredible. The whole lot came to £15. FIFTEEN QUID.

Brilliant.

Another vote for this place. Loved the dinner I had there a few months ago. What's nice is that it's a couple that run it, she does front of house and he cooks. They've not been greedy and have kept the place small so it feels personal.

Anyway, a number of reviews from the past 10 days from me as the Father-in-law was back from Cyprus moaning about the lack of choice there.

So first off :

La Tana - Patcham
Really decent Italian. The pasta dishes are a decent size and really well cooked. The pizzas are some of the biggest I've ever seen. Great place for a group ( there were 9 of us ) as they seem able to bring everyone's food at once - I hate it when it comes in dribs and drabs ! If you don't fancy pasta or pizza there are steak, seafood and chicken dishes all of which looked pretty decent. Don't expect Donatello prices - it's a little more than that - but well worth it. Excellent and friendly service 8/10.

Sini
A Westdene family favourite. Often go on the Groupon deals. Highly recommend the stuffed vine leaves and I love their lamb shank although it is rather a big dish. Turkish wine is surprisingly good as well. 8/10.

Giggling Squid - Hove branch
As always a good meal but I always think it's a tad over priced. Not my favourite place as I struggle with spice a little. The GIANT spring rolls were good although two would be enough and they serve three as a starter. I always go for one of two mains - Sleeping Honey Duck this time. Love it, loads of duck and I'm always amazed how well orange segments go in a salad. My other favourite dish is Lamb Shank Massaman curry. Mrs W swears by the Salt and Pepper squid. 7/10 ( dropped a point for been slightly on the expensive side ).

Shuffle - cocktail bar in York Place
Suffers slightly from being in the wrong place but serves very decent priced cocktails ( far cheaper than anywhere else I've been in Brighton ). 7/10

Sussex Yeoman
Went last night with friends who are veggies. One thing I do find in the city is that many places are either predominately meat or predominately veggie based. Not here - it's an even spread. We all four had different dishes and all looked fantastic ( I'd even have eaten the veggie dishes ). All the portions are BIG - my ribeye steak was perfect medium rare. The smoked haddock was like a whale on a plate. The prices were really good as well - £110 for four mains, 2 shared starters and a load of booze. Highly recommend it. 9/10.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath

As someone who can't eat cheese, this obsession with putting cheese on things is really annoying- especially when not properly named or described.

Have you been to the Old Oak Barn in Burgess Hill? I had a very nice slow roasted pork belly there which came with dauphinois.

That is where we differ as I like strong cheese flavours on most things except cheese topped baguettes, cant stand those

I havent been there since we left Burgess Hill 12 years ish but have heard very good reports from my next door neighbour.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton

It does make me laugh when they put this word ..... ALL pork belly should be slow roasted ! That's how the fat becomes crispy - otherwise it's just a pile of sludgy fat - someone ought to tell The Connaught !

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
It does make me laugh when they put this word ..... ALL pork belly should be slow roasted ! That's how the fat becomes crispy - otherwise it's just a pile of sludgy fat - someone ought to tell The Connaught !

Which reminds me of when the missus was in a particularly spiky mood and said "pan fried salmon, what else would you fry it in? A ****ing bucket?"

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Not exactly a restaurant but I sampled the pies in the Barley Mow on Saturday night with a few pints. They've done away with the kitchen at the pub, saving themselves a lot of money on a chef and their energy bills too one would think. They now sell pies provided by Pieminister with a few sides here and there including mash, cheesey toppings and a few other bits but nothing that demands any actual cooking (no veg to speak of but **** vegetables eh?) which means wait times are short and the food is actually of a really good equal standard across the menu. They pies themselves cost £6.50 and are well varied (http://www.pieminister.co.uk/food/pies/). £2 quid more gets you mash and gravy and other toppins are extra but not too pricey. I think £11 gets you pie, two sides and gravy. The pies and more than passable with nice crispy pastry and the mash, which is pre made, is fine. It's not high end cuisine by any means but if you're in the area and fancy cheap eats with some beers then this comes highly recommended. The pub itself has been spruced up since I've been there last but was worryingly quiet for a saturday, though I am reliably informed weekday trade is okay so I hope this keeps them going.

8/10

Oct 25, 2003
Not exactly a restaurant but I sampled the pies in the Barley Mow on Saturday night with a few pints. They've done away with the kitchen at the pub, saving themselves a lot of money on a chef and their energy bills too one would think. They now sell pies provided by Pieminister with a few sides here and there including mash, cheesey toppings and a few other bits but nothing that demands any actual cooking (no veg to speak of but **** vegetables eh?) which means wait times are short and the food is actually of a really good equal standard across the menu. They pies themselves cost £6.50 and are well varied (http://www.pieminister.co.uk/food/pies/). £2 quid more gets you mash and gravy and other toppins are extra but not too pricey. I think £11 gets you pie, two sides and gravy. The pies and more than passable with nice crispy pastry and the mash, which is pre made, is fine. It's not high end cuisine by any means but if you're in the area and fancy cheap eats with some beers then this comes highly recommended. The pub itself has been spruced up since I've been there last but was worryingly quiet for a saturday, though I am reliably informed weekday trade is okay so I hope this keeps them going.

8/10

Yeah this place is my local and the introduction of pies has been a good one. Before they would order in from pizza face across the road which was also acceptable- I'm not sure when they last prepared food on site. It's an alright pub in general- I was hoping after the refurb that they'd get a few different beers in but they've stuck to what they had before- not that they've got a bad selection. Staff are friendly if a bit young and possibly stonerish. As for the pies it's a good selection and good quality- one complaint being that yesterday me and the Wife went and her mash wasn't that hot. Otherwise a good experience all round

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here