Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Autumn statement today ...... hero’s or villains?

lost in london

Dec 10, 2003
London
Ditto :thumbsup:

People would be amazed if they realised how few police there are available to respond to 999 calls at any given time. Particularly if you live in certain areas of the county (and I'm not talking about small villages here but a few, fairly decent sized towns that no longer have any police based within a twenty minute drive).

But on we go! G4S can do plenty of the work instead. Which should boost the value of Theresa May's husband's shares no end #Together

Police budget not being cut. Allegedly.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Well that will come as a relief to the countries low paid workers. I'm not sure what prompted the turn about, but it's very welcome.

Vegas Seagull

Jul 10, 2009
A new stamp duty rate for people buying homes as buy to let will be 3% higher than normal stamp duty - like that. Hopefully another nail in the buy to let coffin.

Anyone that has one has made 7% this & last & ....
With levels reduced recently at the lower end that BTL usually is prob only putting back near to couple of years back. Fund raiser more like speed cameras

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
Well that will come as a relief to the countries low paid workers. I'm not sure what prompted the turn about, but it's very welcome.

Simple political pressure, no doubt, including plenty from his own side. As you say, a very welcome U-turn but one which makes you question how on earth it took so long for that particular penny to drop.

And I'm sure that a similar U-turn from Labour would be met with total equanimity by the Tory press. Of course.

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015
Would the nasty party take aid from starving Africans?
I would, I dont glory in these peoples suffering and feel sorry for them , but charity begins at home , let someone else take up the burden for once , weve done enough .

Igzilla

Sep 27, 2012
Worthing
I would, I dont glory in these peoples suffering and feel sorry for them , but charity begins at home , let someone else take up the burden for once , weve done enough .

I'd rather cut subsidies from the oil and gas industry than cut overseas aid. As another poster said, if you remove soft power, what's left is hard, and that's not a viable foreign policy. Even if one is cynical and believes 95% is pocketed by politicians before it reaches the starving poor, it's still a lever the British Government can use to exert influence.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
A new stamp duty rate for people buying homes as buy to let will be 3% higher than normal stamp duty - like that. Hopefully another nail in the buy to let coffin.

Should be higher, but I'll accept that.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
And I'm sure that a similar U-turn from Labour would be met with total equanimity by the Tory press. Of course.

I've not see how the Labour press have responded so far. Are you suggesting it's all very grown-up and sensible, congratulating the Chancellor for being brave enough to reverse a previous decision? I look forward to this welcome seed change if so.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
The numbers don't add up so far, there must be a hidden revenue raising device somewhere in there.

Exactly what I'm thinking. He's allocating more money to the NHS. He's changed his mind on the cuts to tax credits. He's not cutting the police budgets.

So what's the bombshell? What have we missed so far that's going to fill the gap?

Absolutely stunned that he's not slashing police budgets, for what it's worth, as is just about everybody else I've spoken to at work. We were led to believe a reduction in officer numbers from 120,000 to around 80,000 over the next few years was on the cards (yes, I know they like to leak that sort of stuff so that whatever is eventually announced looks like a massive bonus). The cynic in me suspects that even Osborne was concerned about the public reaction if he was seen to be cutting budgets to the police and security services whilst the terrorist threat is so high.

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
I've not see how the Labour press have responded so far. Are you suggesting it's all very grown-up and sensible, congratulating the Chancellor for being brave enough to reverse a previous decision? I look forward to this welcome seed change if so.

It won't take very long to check out tomorrow's Guardian on the matter. Checking all the Tory papers would, of course, take rather longer.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
Mao's little red book
master stroke

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
Anyone that has one has made 7% this & last & ....
Precisely. The whole property as middle class wealth provider is the biggest politically motivated economic outrage of our lifetime. The horse bolted a long time ago. Putting 3% on new BTL purchases is carefully judged to achieve next to nothing apart from giving Tories something to bray about.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here