Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Shaker Aamer released from Guantanamo

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
does anyone know the name of the charity he was in Afghanistan with?

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
This has absolutely nothing to do my comment.

It relates to the exchange between yourself and Glasfryn, but perhaps more than that to this thread in general. Would it be OK with you if (if I could) I linked it to one of Glasfryn's posts, or just as a 'reply to this thread'?

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
It relates to the exchange between yourself and Glasfryn, but perhaps more than that to this thread in general. Would it be OK with you if (if I could) I linked it to one of Glasfryn's posts, or just as a 'reply to this thread'?

Do what you want, I'm just being playful.

I think if people had a choice of 13 years at Guantanamo or 3 days with ISIS, most would choose the Cuban option :)

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
Do what you want, I'm just being playful.

I think if people had a choice of 13 years at Guantanamo or 3 days with ISIS, most would choose the Cuban option :)

three way choice
the other is neither

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Of course :) but back to the point;

From what I understand Shaker went to Afghanistan a month or two before 9/11. There was no war there at the time but after it kicked off he was arrested in the Nov 2001.

There was no purpose for him to be a terrorist at the time.

So, prior to 9/11 there were no terrorists then at the point the planes crashed there was instantly an army of them :facepalm:

I understand that he, or anyone, has given the name of the organisation that he was purportedly working with. What is apparently known is that another charity that he is believed to have previously worked for is on the UN blacklist.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
So, prior to 9/11 there were no terrorists then at the point the planes crashed there was instantly an army of them :facepalm:

I understand that he, or anyone, has given the name of the organisation that he was purportedly working with. What is apparently known is that another charity that he is believed to have previously worked for is on the UN blacklist.

Oh here we go again, same old same old niitpicking Drew taking issue and being anal over a casual comment, taking it literally and twisting it all for the sake of arguing the t0ss. Did I say there were no terrorist’s pre 9/11? ??? No I didn't, the world has been full of them for thousands of years. Has terrorism increased with purpose since? Yes.

Regardless of this it was a conversation between me and glasfyn who had earlier said "who in their right mind would go into a war zone to do charity work."

My point to glasfyn was that it wasn't a war zone when he went out there, that's all, but of course just for the sake of your argument you could say that everyone in Afghanistan is a terrorist. One minute you want beyond reasonable doubt for Ched Evans and the next minute you are suggesting that Shaker is guilty without a shred of evidence of any substance, even after being detained in Guantanamo for nearly 14 years without charge or trial.

Shaker's time in Afghanistan predates the 21st century's rise in terrorism and the world we live in today. Unless you are suggesting that he was involved in the 9/11 plot? he has not had the chance to influence terrorism since even if he wanted to. I would however like to know what charges would you like to pin on him? I am all ears.

I will judge him on what he says and his actions now that he is out and I suggest you do the same.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here