Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Is there any alternative to working for the rest of my life?

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
I took out by far the biggest mortgage I have ever had (for a 25-year term) just before my 43rd birthday. "Circumstances" as someone put it above.

How's that website idea you had coming along? I reckon it could work.

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
Both my parents are dead now, so I'm putting myself up for adoption and only multi millionaires need apply.

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
I took out by far the biggest mortgage I have ever had (for a 25-year term) just before my 43rd birthday. "Circumstances" as someone put it above.

You must be very young at heart, i had you down as being late 20's.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
When you got the quote did it default to a 25 year period or were you asked if you wanted it for 22 years (in your case)? The last company I used set it to 20 years.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Wasn't meant tongue in cheek at all - I know several people in their mid forties who have taken out large 20-25 year mortgages. They are low risk to the lender as typically high earnings and decent equity. I've decided I'd rather stop work earlier....and have more disposable income to fritter away now. All down to personal choice and circumstances I guess.

I share your view about enjoying life whilst you can. My best friend from university earned well but channeled most of his cash into his future. He wanted to ensure he had a nice later life but it came at the cost of not having a lot of spare cash in his 20s and early 30s. Sadly he died in his mid-30s. This made me totally rethink my strategy. It's a cliche but life is too short.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I just took out a 30 year mortgage for an investment property and I'm 55.
You go girl.

I share your view about enjoying life whilst you can. My best friend from university earned well but channeled most of his cash into his future. He wanted to ensure he had a nice later life but it came at the cost of not having a lot of spare cash in his 20s and early 30s. Sadly he died in his mid-30s. This made me totally rethink my strategy. It's a cliche but life is too short.
I worked hard in my early years and invested, and now I'm able to enjoy it and have enough money for the rest of my life, as long as I die by Christmas.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here