Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

EU Referendum NSC opinion poll 2015

Should the United Kingdom remain a member of the European Union or leave the European Unio

• Leave the European Union

Votes: 124 49.2%
  • Remain a member of the European Union

Votes: 128 50.8%

• Total voters

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
Treaty of Rome 1957 signatories-France,West Germany,Italy,Benelux countries.France blocked the UK's entry for nearly 20 years,and I wish they had persisted!Let's get out asap and try to set up a modern European Free Trade Agreement.All the good points of the EC with none of the super-state rubbish.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Out.

It needs so much reform that it would be easier to start again.

D

Deleted member 22389

Out and good bloody riddance. How many much more proof do people need in this country.
We are doing alright in the UK compared to poor people in Greece, Italy. They don't have the choice like we do to get out so make your vote count.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Really, funny how there are threads with pages on Corbyn and Labour on the first page and probably record posts on Labour 7 point lead at the GE.
Yes, really.

NSC sometimes becomes a very vocal UKIP hotbed.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Absolute no brainer.

As someone who has doubts over how many migrants we may be forced to accept, who hates many of the ridiculous edicts emanating from Brussels, and hates the fact that we are one of the biggest contributors the EU budget that is abused by many on the bureaucratic gravy train, my response may surprise some.

For the good of our economy and the ease with which we can do business with hundreds of millions of potential customers we HAVE to stay in. To leave would be like a turkey voting for Christmas, but we should always bargain hard to achieve the best deal for ourselves. We may not always get exactly what we want but it is better in than out, so to speak......

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
It was of course fought on the question should we remain members of the EEC (European Economic Community, or Common Market), with constant denials from pro-EEC campaigners that it would ever lead to an eventual political union.
Although in reality, it was fought at a far lower level than that - in many ways the 'Yes' campaign was the dirtiest election campaign I have ever experienced. They were helped by the fact that the two biggest hate figures in politics at the time, a demon of the left and a demon of the right, were both in the 'No' camp.
If you said you were going to vote 'no' you'd be asked in a tone of shocked horror, were you really going to side yourself with that dangerous reds-under-the-bed leftie commie Anthony Wedgwood Benn?' If that didn't bring you sharply into line, and you said you didn't mind in this case being on the same side as Tony Wedgwood Benn, you would then be accused of possibly being a racist fascist because you were going to side with that demon of the right Enoch Powell.
Not surprisingly, many people were convinced not to side with the dangerous mavericks.

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
The vote on continued membership is about 60/40 against but the proportion of antis who are posting on here seems far higher - I guess it is easier to rant against something than to rant for it. As the Daily Mail well knows.

What I can never understand is this myth that we are a great trading nation - we trade with the world in the same sort of way as I trade with Waitrose. Our deficit was £2.8bn last month. Our trade with just one EU country is about the same as our trade with Brazil, China, India and Russia put together. Countries like Germany are well-equipped to trade with the world. The facts suggest that we're not.

And are our budget contributions really that great? They are around £15 a year per citizen, not allowing for any benefits to UK exporters that arise from EU investments in other parts of the union.

Is it a bureaucratic gravy train? I am really really suspicious of public sector bureaucrats but the EU has far fewer employees than, say, the Inland Revenue.

The one thing that is clear is that British Euroscepticism is overwhelmingly English Euroscepticism. If the country voted to get out then the United Kingdom would fracture in no more than the time it takes to organise another Scottish referendum. Some people on here would love to see Scotland go, some wouldn't. But let there be no doubt that a vote to get Britain out of the EU is also a vote to break up the UK.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
For the good of our economy and the ease with which we can do business with hundreds of millions of potential customers we HAVE to stay in.
But countries like Switzerland are able to trade with those in the EU just fine aren't they?

I like Europe, I want to be part of Europe, but I don't think Europe likes us. I think they just want to squeeze what they can from us. I feel we get a poor deal. As things stand, I think it would be better for us if we were out.

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
We continue to get a poor deal in the EU because the wankers who represent us in the EU are, well wankers, and I include all the parties, not just the obvious candidates. However, having a section of people who represent the UK being arses most of the time, doesnt help.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here