Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Is relegation still a possibility?

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
So I still expect 84 to be sufficient.

It doesn't feel like enough to me... fancy a small wager (proceeds to REMF) that 84 points won't be enough for auto promotion (honourable draw with both paying into REMF if 2nd and 3rd [or more] both have 84 points and position therefore determined by GD)?

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
It doesn't feel like enough to me... fancy a small wager (proceeds to REMF) that 84 points won't be enough for auto promotion (honourable draw with both paying into REMF if 2nd and 3rd [or more] both have 84 points and position therefore determined by GD)?

You're on. I'll increase the amount if you share something from your cellar at some event. (I can reciprocate, but it won't be quite so enticing.)

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
You're on. I'll increase the amount if you share something from your cellar at some event. (I can reciprocate, but it won't be quite so enticing.)

OK - people's definitions of "small" obviously vary - how would £25 for the cash component sit with you? Let me know the value of the non-cash component and if I lose, I'll donate a bottle to you of that value (value determined by wine searcher) and when you lose you'll do the same for me... is that the sort of thing you had in mind? If not, amend as you see fit...

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
OK - people's definitions of "small" obviously vary - how would £25 for the cash component sit with you? Let me know the value of the non-cash component and if I lose, I'll donate a bottle to you of that value (value determined by wine searcher) and when you lose you'll do the same for me... is that the sort of thing you had in mind? If not, amend as you see fit...

Let's do £50. The wine would be something additional, and would have to be shared. It probably won't happen. But it might be nice.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
We have a squad of players that won't let it happen.

Napier's Knee

Mar 23, 2014
West Sussex
I know it's early in the season but apart from anything else there is no way Blackburn or Rotherham will finish above us, so at worst there is just one relegation spot to worry about

SweatyMexican

Mar 31, 2013
Well if 442 Magazine predicts we're going to finish 2nd bottom, then I'd say we're in for a real relegation scrap.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Rotherham had one very good player going forward, the Norwich loanee, but the rest looked League one standard for the large part and that is where they are headed.
Blackburn have so many problems. Bristol City are struggling to carry forward last season's momentum. Charlton look in danger of doing what we did last season.

Plenty of sides certain to be below us just as there are plenty of threats to go above us as the season develops

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
You're on.
Nice.

Can we confirm the rules?

Goldstone said: "84 points won't be enough for auto promotion", but that can be interpreted in different ways. For example:

First placed team gets 90 points
Second placed team gets 86 points
Third placed team gets 82 points

You could argue that either of you has won. Had the third placed team got 84 points, they wouldn't have gained automatic promotion, but had either of the top two got 84 points, they would have. So, from the example I've posted, are we saying that 83 points was enough for auto, or 86?

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Nice.

Can we confirm the rules?

Goldstone said: "84 points won't be enough for auto promotion", but that can be interpreted in different ways. For example:

First placed team gets 90 points
Second placed team gets 86 points
Third placed team gets 82 points

You could argue that either of you has won. Had the third placed team got 84 points, they wouldn't have gained automatic promotion, but had either of the top two got 84 points, they would have. So, from the example I've posted, are we saying that 83 points was enough for auto, or 86?

I'm not sure what I'm missing here, but in the example you've given, if the third placed team got 84 points, they'd still be two points behind the team who finished second and I'd have won, surely? I feel sure I'm missing something (or being whooshed!), but I can't see what...

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I'm not sure what I'm missing here, but in the example you've given, if the third placed team got 84 points, they'd still be two points behind the team who finished second and I'd have won, surely?
But the team that finished 2nd would have been promoted if they'd only got 83 points. As long as you both agree it's all good, I'm just saying there is more than one way to interpret it.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
I'm not sure what I'm missing here, but in the example you've given, if the third placed team got 84 points, they'd still be two points behind the team who finished second and I'd have won, surely? I feel sure I'm missing something (or being whooshed!), but I can't see what...

On this at least [MENTION=4019]Triggaaar[/MENTION] is being cleverer than the both of us. He's right, I think, but I can't quite explain how/why. But can we agree that the aim of it is that it's a curiosity and at least one of us gives some money to REMF.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
He is.

But the easiest way is surely to say the winning points total is one more than the third placed team manages?

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
But the team that finished 2nd would have been promoted if they'd only got 83 points. As long as you both agree it's all good, I'm just saying there is more than one way to interpret it.

Ah! Yes, I see. So: yes, in the scenario you give, the team in second who currently have 86 points, would still have been second on only 83 points. In that eventually, [MENTION=28490]Machiavelli[/MENTION] would win. Entirely hypothetical though.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
On this at least @Triggaaar is being cleverer than the both of us. He's right, I think, but I can't quite explain how/why. But can we agree that the aim of it is that it's a curiosity and at least one of us gives some money to REMF.

Yep. The point is mostly to get some cash to REMF, with a secondary objective of getting some kudos over you. :thumbsup:

See above post where I "mention" you - in Trigaaaar's scenario, you win.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Yep. The point is mostly to get some cash to REMF, with a secondary objective of getting some kudos over you. :thumbsup:

See above post where I "mention" you - in Trigaaaar's scenario, you win.

Is that an image of a 47 Cheval Blanc? If so, secondary objective already achieved (although that wasn't really in doubt).

Whatever, Yule loose.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
Never trust a BHA team not to screw it up spectacularly at some point in the season.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here