Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

NSC Crashing my Laptop

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
I know people continually BANG ON about the ads you see are based on your browsing history, but unless I am the exception to the rule, this is BOLLOCKS.

Last two banner adds:

(i) Christmas dinner at some shitehole in Burgess Hill. I live 200 miles away and have never been to BH in my life, so am unlikely to have searched that.
(ii) Sexy chat with Russian woman. WTF ?!? I live even further from Russia than I do from Burgess Hill.

I have searched NOTHING that should generate that sort of content. Luckily I seem to have stopped receiving the adds telling me that there are women in the woods outside my house dying to meet me. Its a bollocking piss-take though, and one that frankly I could do without.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
FFS, I'm in clunk CENTRAL again. This is about to crash my browser again, and I've only gone into 2 threads. This is getting seriously irksome.

This illustrates where it is difficult for me to diagnose as the site is running very quickly for me, which probably means you are being served an ad or ads that I'm not.

If a page renders very slowly for you, can you please let it load, eventually, and then list on here the ads you have on screen, including those at the very bottom of the page out of view.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I know people continually BANG ON about the ads you see are based on your browsing history, but unless I am the exception to the rule, this is BOLLOCKS.

Last two banner adds:

(i) Christmas dinner at some shitehole in Burgess Hill. I live 200 miles away and have never been to BH in my life, so am unlikely to have searched that.
(ii) Sexy chat with Russian woman. WTF ?!? I live even further from Russia than I do from Burgess Hill.

I have searched NOTHING that should generate that sort of content. Luckily I seem to have stopped receiving the adds telling me that there are women in the woods outside my house dying to meet me. Its a bollocking piss-take though, and one that frankly I could do without.

When you load a page an auction happens within a few thousandths of a second. Based on where you've been and what you've looked at, advertisers will bid to show you an ad. The highest bidder wins.

If you are seeing low-quality ads such as Russian chats then it means that no one really wanted your attention and the ad placement got filled by a low-quality low-price bidder. You're not alone - I just got one for single muslims and, I can say that I've not looked at anything to indicate that's a market I'm into right now. Honest. No, really.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
This illustrates where it is difficult for me to diagnose as the site is running very quickly for me, which probably means you are being served an ad or ads that I'm not.

If a page renders very slowly for you, can you please let it load, eventually, and then list on here the ads you have on screen, including those at the very bottom of the page out of view.

"Anna wants to talk to you... HI - I'm Anna! Are You there?"

BN: No I'm not. I have a fantastic family with two gorgeous kids and I love Mrs Nylon to the end of the earth, so please **** off.

At the bottom of the page I have an ad for 'GameRock'. I am in my 40's and haven't played a computer game since I was 15.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

not bollocks, just bit more complicated than that. i see very different ads at home to work, and often can tell what my missus has been looking at due to the ads served up on NSC (unless there's a number following makeup trends, could be...). the russian woman thing is a default i think, see those sorts alot when not logged in. generally ads are lead from what your recent search and activity history is, search for lego or car parts, i'll see lots of lego and euro car parts ads (which seems a waste of money for both of them...)

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location

Oddly, since my little strop, its been running ok-ish. Ironically it seems worse when I have visited this thread. But right now adwise I have:

Samsung 4G Galaxy Edge
Christmas lunch at Oak Barn Burgess Hill, £25.95 (yikes)
Western Union - Send Money
Royal Caribbean
Jizz-Drizzled Sidcup Asian Sluts XXVII, Love you Long Time

(I made the last one up - thats open in another tab)

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Oddly, since my little strop, its been running ok-ish. Ironically it seems worse when I have visited this thread. But right now adwise I have:

Samsung 4G Galaxy Edge
Christmas lunch at Oak Barn Burgess Hill, £25.95 (yikes)
Western Union - Send Money
Royal Caribbean
Jizz-Drizzled Sidcup Asian Sluts XXVII, Love you Long Time

(I made the last one up - thats open in another tab)

I keep getting that one. Maybe we could go together?

:vuvu:

jgmcdee

Mar 25, 2012
For me it's not so much the ads directly as all the cookies that come with them. A quick load of this page gave me the following cookies (truncated because my screen isn't large enough)

Cookies.png

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
As long as we're done by 3. I don't want to miss the OFAH omnibus special on Dave,

Deal. I've got sultry Estonian women with a 15 mile radius of my house dying to meet me, so I have to get back sharpish anyhow.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Deal. I've got sultry Estonian women with a 15 mile radius of my house dying to meet me, so I have to get back sharpish anyhow.

If you don't mind skipping the pudding, I might just nip back and join you then. I'll bring eggnog.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Right, I am off to bed now. But thank you Bozza for the rationale as to why I keep getting HUGE banner ads for sexy Russian / Muslim chat etc on NSC. As I tend to browse NSC sat on the sofa next to Mrs Nylon this isn't always welcome and if I could pay a few quid to disable it, I would. At least I can now explain that it is because i am not worth anything to proper advertisers.

All I ever browse on my laptop is NSC, BBC news and Essex Fire and Rescue Service incidents page so I was a bit confused as to why I seemed to be of such interest to Nakita from St Petersberg, but now I know.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
To get briefly back OT, I've just been in a thread with a Disney Cruise Line ad at the bottom that had some kind of video trying to load, and it was absolutely DESTROYING my browser. I'm amazed I even got back out of it without having to close down Firefox again. Took an age, didn't like me rolling or clicking at all. At all.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
There will be when I make NSC unviewable to those running blockers.

As you quite rightly say that NSC would probably not exist without ads.
On Adbloc, you have the choice to filter, whereas NoScript you can temporary allow or permanently allow the site you are viewing.
Where I use BT email, I use Adbloc just to block out all those annoying ads.
So I guess its down to choice.
I'm enjoying NSC :albion2:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here