Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Please be in seats by 2.30 on Saturday for Jacob and Matt tributes

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
I will be standing at the East entrance selling mirrored glasses for all the 'men' as I think the sun is going to be very strong which causes a dampness to occur in the eyes.

Seriously, leaving home early to get a pie and a pint in prior to taking my seat at 2:30. I'm dreading the tears.

Gilliver's Travels

Peripatetic
Jul 5, 2003
Brighton Marina Village
What a shame that the opportunity has not been taken to remember all eleven victims of the disaster with a minute's silence.

Perhaps times have changed, and I may well represent a minority of one, but the poignancy of 25,000 people standing in absolute silence, alone with their thoughts about the lost souls and their bereaved, seems a far more fitting way of respecting and honouring the dead than the incongruity of having those same 25,000 actually applauding when people have lost their lives in such horrible and absolutely tragic circumstances.

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
What a shame that the opportunity has not been taken to remember all eleven victims of the disaster with a minute's silence.

Perhaps times have changed, and I may well represent a minority of one, but the poignancy of 25,000 people standing in absolute silence, alone with their thoughts about the lost souls and their bereaved, seems a far more fitting way of respecting and honouring the dead than the incongruity of having those same 25,000 actually applauding when people have lost their lives in such horrible and absolutely tragic circumstances.
Bore off.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

Please read the official club instructions which state

At the request of the Grimstone and Schilt families there will be a minute's applause immediately ahead of kick-off, but prior to that the club will be paying tribute to Matt and Jacob as follows.......

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland

From the official site:

At the request of the Grimstone and Schilt families there will be a minute's applause immediately ahead of kick-off

Whatever any of our personal views, surely we can agree that the wishes of the families are paramount?

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
From the official site:

At the request of the Grimstone and Schilt families there will be a minute's applause immediately ahead of kick-off

Whatever any of our personal views, surely we can agree that the wishes of the families are paramount?

Quite.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I will be standing at the East entrance selling mirrored glasses for all the 'men' as I think the sun is going to be very strong which causes a dampness to occur in the eyes.

Seriously, leaving home early to get a pie and a pint in prior to taking my seat at 2:30. I'm dreading the tears.

You won't be the only one so I don't think you need to dread them. Sense the 'minutes applause' will be preceded and followed by several minutes blubbing

spongy

Aug 7, 2011
Burgess Hill
I know I'm going to cry. And I won't be ashamed of it. One of the most emotional times in my life in recent years was the Remembrance Day match with the tribute to James Brynin and the bugler playing the last stand. That had me in floods. And I'm in no doubt I will be again tomorrow. And I'm doing the walk as well with Ms Spongy and Little Ms spongy in her buggy. It's gonna be a very emotional day for me tomorrow that's for sure. There's even a good chance I won't be my normal shouty singy self throughout the whole game.

Fat Langers

Dec 27, 2007
I have no intention of missing tomorrow's tributes. In fact, I honestly think they will be something to remember.
I honestly can't express just how proud I am of of our club and supporters. The way that everyone has come together and supported one another is just fantastic. It will be an emotional day throughout.
It must be even harder for the families involved. That's where my thoughts will be.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne

Could I politely request that people in WSU ensure that they have plenty of Kleenex? I am a notorious blubber and will be unable to share my multi pack with those around me.

I feel very proud of our club at how we have come together in this time of absolute tragedy. I really do not know how I will be able to hold it together tomorrow, whether it is on the walk or at the tributes at the game. It is all so very close to home. Truly terrific response from the club and an exceptional effort from REMF who have taken time to ensure everything runs accordingly tomorrow. I know our club will unite as only the Albion can and provide a fitting send off to the two young lads and all involved in the horrific incident.

Shed a tear and get behind the team tomorrow. Hopefully we can win for all those involved. RIP.

KT17

Apr 19, 2014
I don't really care about the result tomorrow, what happens at 1430 will much more define our values and my handkerchief will be moist.

Actually I was lying, I hope we stuff Hull for those boys

Gilliver's Travels

Peripatetic
Jul 5, 2003
Brighton Marina Village
Please read the official club instructions which state

At the request of the Grimstone and Schilt families there will be a minute's applause immediately ahead of kick-off, but prior to that the club will be paying tribute to Matt and Jacob as follows.......
Thanks. I did, very carefully, read those 'instructions' before posting.

My point relates to the incongruity of orchestrated applause in such appalling circumstances. Besides, applause may not have been the preference of the other nine bereaved families.

Applauding a long life well lived - as we did in the case of Glen Wilson - is one thing. But when death has come so unexpectedly, and to so many, a minute-long period of reflective stillness from 25,000 people in honour of the eleven lives tragically lost seems far more moving, respectful, and above all, appropriate.

CP 0 3 BHA

Nov 28, 2003
Northants
Which comments do you have a problem with?

How about:-

Isn't this a bit over the top ?

I know the loss of 2 young lives is tragic but young men and women die every day of the week in this country due to tragic circumstances.

It appears more like a funeral service in a football ground.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location

My point relates to the incongruity of orchestrated applause in such appalling circumstances. Besides, applause may not have been the preference of the other nine bereaved families.

Applauding a long life well lived - as we did in the case of Glen Wilson - is one thing. But when death has come so unexpectedly, and to so many, a minute-long period of reflective stillness from 25,000 people in honour of the eleven lives tragically lost seems far more moving, respectful, and above all, appropriate.

I tend to agree with you. Under these circumstances, I think a minutes silence would've been more appropriate.
But it doesn't matter what I think. The families wishes are paramount.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
B

I'm not sure the other nine families are involved. As far as I'm aware, and I could be very wrong, this is just for Matt & Jacob, because of their connections to the club.

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
May I assure you that the thoughts of all Albion supporters far away will be very much with all of you today and especially with those directly affected.

RIP Jacob and Matt.

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
Grief for me is a quiet and reflective thing, never maudlin, always gentle.

We're all different and if the families wished for today's event then the club has done well to respond. I am sure it will be arranged very well.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
How about:-

Isn't this a bit over the top ?

I know the loss of 2 young lives is tragic but young men and women die every day of the week in this country due to tragic circumstances.

It appears more like a funeral service in a football ground.

But that's not
...with some very classy comments ,,,,,,, not.
though is it?

That's ONE very classless comment, which is completely at odds with all the other posts.
A post that was more than dealt with by reply.

Gilliver's Travels

Peripatetic
Jul 5, 2003
Brighton Marina Village
I'm not sure the other nine families are involved. As far as I'm aware, and I could be very wrong, this is just for Matt & Jacob, because of their connections to the club.

This, from the club's brief :- During the minute's applause members of Worthing United and the Robert Eaton Memorial Fund football team will hold two giant shirts in honour of Matt and Jacob, and they will be joined on the pitch by Matt's Albion work colleagues along with 11 fans, each holding a candle and flowers - kindly donated by Flowers Unlimited - in respect of all 11 men who lost their lives that day.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here