Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

At what stage is it acceptable to get excited?

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face
You first have to get to the top, then you have to have a big enough squad to stay there, and a manager who can handle the pressure.
We've done the first bit, we're a striker short of the second bit, and we've a cool headed manager who has done it before.

I'd say get excited now, it's gonna be a fun season.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
You've had a good start, but wait until you play some of the "big boys".
Hull next week will be a test, win that , and the momentum could carry you on.

big boys
Fulham
Forest
Ipswich
mind steady as we go ,not to get excited just yet

Se20

Banned
Oct 3, 2012
What are you doing in here?

Whoever the big boys are, beating them wouldn't mean we're contenders, unless you're suggesting the Palace are contenders for a CL spot, having beaten Chelski in their own place.

Why are you being so precious ?
I was just saying until you play the likes of Hull, Burnley, Boro, and QPR,( teams expected to be up there) you won't know how good your start is.
I wasn't having a dig, I was just pointing out the obvious.
If Bozza hasn't got a problem with me posting on a non Palace thread, why should you ?

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
At the Derby home game last year, I thought how far off them we are (I know we won but for an hour they hammered us). Yesterday, it felt like we did the same at Ipswich, attacking regularly and at pace.
Yep, for all the talk of how close the league is each year, there's often quite a gulf in quality. Even the year before, we knew we'd lose in the playoffs to Derby when Upson and Greer were injured, we just didn't have the depth.

The team yesterday have come a long way since last year. Of course 13 points out of 15 flatters us, it would flatter anyone, no team finishes the league with that kind of record.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
What about Hull, QPR, Middlesbrough, Wednesday, Leeds, Burnley, Cardiff, Derby......

but we have already played and beaten those three, and two of them away

Davemania

Jul 11, 2011
Uckfield
Ok who are the "big boys" so to speak ?

It's already looking like, if we do well against QPR, Hull, Middlesborough and Cardiff, we can be contenders for automatic promotion. Beyond them we still look to have a good enough squad to be playoff contenders

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
Beat Hull (H) still top
Beat Rotherham (H) still top
Beat Wolves (A) still top
Beat Bolton (A) still top
Beat Cardiff (H) still top
In fact Leeds away may be the first hiccup.
By the time that the Derby & QPR away game roll along in December we could be on such a roll that we can afford to lose those two.

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
I'm just glad to see us with a proper team playing decent football, something I didn't think was going to happen this season a month ago. Expecting top two at the moment is unrealistic considering the quality in this league but as long as we keep playing entertaining football a top half finish is good enough for me to get excited.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I'm not sweetie.

I was just saying until you play the likes of Hull, Burnley, Boro, and QPR,( teams expected to be up there) you won't know how good your start is.
I wasn't suggesting you were having a dig, I just don't fully agree. I agree that after our first few games, we needed to face a decent team before we could say we might be good enough, but I think we did that yesterday. Charlton beat Hull and QPR, and Bristol beat Boro, so I don't think beating any of those will suddenly be proof - and losing to them won't be either.

If Bozza hasn't got a problem with me posting on a non Palace thread, why should you ?
I haven't, I wasn't being serious.

Seasidesage

May 19, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
Give it til 10 games and if we're still top, you can then get excited that we'll finish no lower than mid-table - which after last season will be a great achievement :thumbsup:

This. After 10 games you can judge, to be fair we are going to be well placed whatever happens now unless we implode. If the Argie comes in and proves to be the real deal we are going to take some stopping...

Feb 14, 2010

I agree. I like the non Albion posters most, even the palace one's. Without that, then its just Brighton fans talking to ourselves. Always good to get the view and wind ups of non Albionites. By the way, I saw your lot at Stamford Bridge yesterday on a corporate gig. You have a well organised, skilful and powerful side. Chelsea were dreadful but from yesterdays evidence then you should be easily mid table and maybe in with a shout of a cup. One tging tho', where have all your fans come from, they were not there when in the lower half of the Championship..? Flexible friends obviously..

crasher

Jul 8, 2003
Sussex
I think we're allowed to get excited now. Not because of the league position - we could easily slide into the bottom half with a bad couple of months.

But I don't think that will happen for all the reasons we SHOULD be excited:

1. Extraordinary strength in depth in our squad
2. Quality signings we've made
3. The mental strength CH seems to have instilled. To win late at Fulham and come back yesterday after Ipswich levelled suggests a psychological toughness we completely lost last year
4. The quality of the football we've started to play. At times yesterday we were pinging the ball about speed under the pressure of pressing which is (whisper it) the kind of level you need to achieve if you've got hopes of playing in the Prem one day.

So I'm excited for all those reasons but I'm not predicting where we'll finish except to say that it will be higher than last season.

Tarpon

Sep 12, 2013
BN1
Half time of the tenth game is an appropriate time to review ones position and carefully consider displaying potential excitement at full time. Alternatively, for many, just go mental now and dream the dream.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here