Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

UK net migration hits record high

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Many people may have boundless compassion on this issue, but compassion is a human emotion, it doesn't provide practical shelter or feed anyone...........money does.

And that is what these people need to be housed and fed and educated and provide with health care.

That is the brass tacks of it.

As for the consequences for children, I don't think the death of the many more adults is any less tragic,.........the number of adult deaths will undoubtedly include parents whose death will have a devastating impact on their surviving children.

There is no hierarchy of death or grief for those involved.

But if those deaths are preventable ...........?
We have money. What we appear to lack is the will to prioritise its use for those who are suffering and in genuine need whether here or elsewhere in the world.

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
UK migration hits record high

..... is that really reason enough to justify the lack of humanity and absence of fundamental compassion that allows children to die while we rationalise our refusal to reach out a hand directly to help

That is far too simplistic, and the idea that we are to blame for children dying is a disgrace. The family involved in that dreadful tragedy was in living in safety in Turkey, and decided that Europe would offer them a better chance of a decent standard of living -fair enough from their point of view - and so took their chance on some old tub. Yes, the sight of the dead child was heart-rending, but that does not mean that folk in this country lack fundamental compassion. Indeed we brits always rally to the flag when tragedies occur, such as the earthquake in Nepal and the amount of foreign aid we give is always a source of contention. But the more realistic among us know that simply to take in migrants this year -and I suspect that is what we will do - will simply encourage even more and I am sure that even compassionate you will realise that this cannot go on.

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
With respect, read back on the thread and you will see comments like " why are these migrants/refugees not going to Turkey and other neighbouring states" and "they should take their fair share" and then you will see why I posted those statistics. The fact that the "keep them out of Britain brigade" have jumped on my comment about fair shares and assumed it applies to Britain says more about them than it does me.

I will leave you all too it now - there is no point in having a discussion/debate with people who's minds are closed.

Doesn't that just sum you up? Not only are we treated to highly suspicious and meaningless stats because they were apparently long overdue, and provided by you, our saviour, then when you are questioned, you decide that those doing the questioning have closed minds. Thankfully you are leaving it to others -you won't be missed. You clearly don't understand the idea of debate.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
So simple isn't it. We let in millions, all of whom will happily take pot luck and move into that empty shabby shack in Romania and not bother about Germany. Once the millions are all settled in the homes, then of course they will have no other demands -no schooling, health issues, demands to practice religion, money for food, certainly initially, and the crisis is sorted, as you suggest.
Why had no one else thought of this?

You are like a broken record. Take a day off today, you might feel better than just repeating ad infinitum your same tired message day after day.

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
It should be quite simple. The UK is a wealthy country with a lot of high calibre human resource according to Cameron. Other nations have sat down, taken stock and acted. So why can't the UK with such economic and human riches at it's disposal?

Yes, I agree with your assessment, which of course is why the UK continues to take in hundreds of thousands each year, as you know. I think we need to be very careful about convenient comparisons with other nations, notably Germany, who are basking in glory due to their new-found altruism. The Gastarbeiter over many years would not testify to the local's willingness for inclusion. It is only recently that the non Germans working there have been allowed to vote in local elections - the story for many years in the 60s, right up to the 90s was nowhere near as encouraging. I was there for 24 years and right up to my departure, the expression "Drecktuerk" was still widely heard. During this time, Britain accepted thousands and gave them British nationality, and whilst those immigrants here also experienced discrimination, their lot was less precarious than in Germany. Don't get me wrong - much good is evident in what the Germans do - just that it is too easy to compare. I am sure that you would not have written this one year ago.

daveybgtt

May 12, 2010
North Sompting
You are like a broken record. Take a day off today, you might feel better than just repeating ad infinitum your same tired message day after day.

So are you lot, no answers, just retarded comments like "little Englander" "Daily Mail Readers" or the ever so popular "racist"

Although I get the feeling a lot of these types of comments are designed to get a reaction, and you actually couldn't give a monkeys about the plight of the poor refugees.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
So are you lot, no answers, just retarded comments like "little Englander" "Daily Mail Readers" or the ever so popular "racist"

Although I get the feeling a lot of these types of comments are designed to get a reaction, and you actually couldn't give a monkeys about the plight of the poor refugees.

Have we (who do you mean by "you lot" by the way?)? One or two may have slipped my notice but i don't remember any such comments on this thread. Maybe you can post them all?

We do have you using ****ing horrible words like "retard" and one of "you lot" (whatever the **** that means) bringing people's 10 year old autistic kids into the discussion.

Last edited:

cunning fergus

Jan 18, 2009
Whilst Germanys stance has something to do with its history in the last century it is without doubt impressive. Sweden also. It is incumbent on our so called leaders to show a genuine moral compass and rise above the little englander mindset. We are a mighty country with an economy ranked fourth in the world. We can, should and i expect will do more

I disagree, Merkel has turbo charged this crisis with her announcement of suspending the requirements of the Dublin convention for Syrian refugees and stating Germany will take 800,000. No other EU country has made such announcements.

Quite predictably now we have a surge of refugees drawn to Germany, they don't want to be in other safe countries like Hungary, as this standoff on the train outside Budapest demonstrates.

Far from being congratulated Merkel has provided more motive to hundreds of thousands of desperate people to take their chances in getting to Europe, and we should expect more deaths in the med or in trucks as a consequence.

Creaky

Mar 26, 2013
Hookwood - Nr Horley
I disagree, Merkel has turbo charged this crisis with her announcement of suspending the requirements of the Dublin convention for Syrian refugees and stating Germany will take 800,000. No other EU country has made such announcements.

Quite predictably now we have a surge of refugees drawn to Germany, they don't want to be in other safe countries like Hungary, as this standoff on the train outside Budapest demonstrates.

Far from being congratulated Merkel has provided more motive to hundreds of thousands of desperate people to take their chances in getting to Europe, and we should expect more deaths in the med or in trucks as a consequence.

What of the thousands of lives that may be saved by providing a safe haven for those fleeing from the civil war in Syria as well as ISIS attacks. The numbers who die whilst attempting to leave, whilst tragic, pales into insignificance compared to the deaths of those who can't get away.

cunning fergus

Jan 18, 2009
But if those deaths are preventable ...........?
We have money. What we appear to lack is the will to prioritise its use for those who are suffering and in genuine need whether here or elsewhere in the world.

How do you prevent desperate people placing their and the children's lives in by taking chances in unsuitable craft trying to get to a better life?

We could build a bridge, or run a free ferry service?

Good luck to any politician that advocates that policy and spending taxpayers money for the consequential resettlement.

You may want to buy the world a coke, however as always someone will need to pay for it.

The tories got voted in because Labour aren't trusted with the economy............this crisis has economic and migration dimensions the Tories need to manage.

Labour have not been forgiven for their largesse and failures on both issues, I'm sure this lesson is writ large for Cameron and Osbourne.

This board is not representative of the electorate.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove

Classic, I am now a 'you lot'. :facepalm:

Creaky

Mar 26, 2013
Hookwood - Nr Horley
How do you prevent desperate people placing their and the children's lives in by taking chances in unsuitable craft trying to get to a better life?

We could build a bridge, or run a free ferry service?

Good luck to any politician that advocates that policy and spending taxpayers money for the consequential resettlement.

You may want to buy the world a coke, however as always someone will need to pay for it.

The tories got voted in because Labour aren't trusted with the economy............this crisis has economic and migration dimensions the Tories need to manage.

Labour have not been forgiven for their largesse and failures on both issues, I'm sure this lesson is writ large for Cameron and Osbourne.

This board is not representative of the electorate.

From the interviews I have seen with refugees they don't see their escape as risking their children's lives but rather an attempt to save them from a likely death.

Merkel has gone some way towards advocating a policy of spending money to help these people and has her popularity suffered? ???

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
What of the thousands of lives that may be saved by providing a safe haven for those fleeing from the civil war in Syria as well as ISIS attacks. The numbers who die whilst attempting to leave, whilst tragic, pales into insignificance compared to the deaths of those who can't get away.

So what are you going to do with those poor souls that have no means to leave parts of Africa that are experiencing war, famine, disease and excruciating poverty.

Why would you not also wish to offer a haven to those many many millions, those that had no means to be well dressed, fed and watered with some financial means to get a place on a boat ??

Where exactly does your humanitarian compass start and finish ??

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Those figures come from the UNHCR and refer to Syrian refugees only. The 5000 for the UK figure comes from the source I quoted earlier as there was nothing reported by the UNHCR re Syrian refugees in the UK. I would imagine, but I have no proof, that the UNHCR's definition of a refugee is consistent across countries so I am assuming therefore that those figures can be used as a pretty decent guide as to who has the most Syrian refugees. How people interpret them is up to them.

right. so those numbers are from different sources but you are going to assume they are for the same thing. its ironic because the source you quote is making an analysis of where stats are misrepresented. its also ironic that you emphasise "refugee" when some you have numbers are for asylum seekers, they are not excatly like for like (you can be the former without claiming asylum any where - like most the millions in Turkey.

the other point is that Germany has gone from accepting 30K asylum seekers a year to 200k. its very honorable that they want to do this, but its rather unfair to expect everyone else to follow suit, and then criticise them. they have taken unilateral action, and its being noted the Syrian refugees are migrating to Germany because of this policy, not applying to UK or other countries. the question is, has Germany's stance encouraged them to make that journey on from the neighbouring countries?

Last edited:

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
Doesn't that just sum you up? Not only are we treated to highly suspicious and meaningless stats because they were apparently long overdue, and provided by you, our saviour, then when you are questioned, you decide that those doing the questioning have closed minds. Thankfully you are leaving it to others -you won't be missed. You clearly don't understand the idea of debate.

That sums you up.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here