Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Connor Goldson signs on a 4-year deal

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face
I'm getting a bit scared that loads of people on this thread are talking like he's signed, on the back of one tweet. Especially as QPR are in for him apparently... Let's wait and see shall we...?

b9ef4195fe7acb08c801ab8d86cc0bcb.jpg

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Seems strange that although we actually had a quite good defence last season, we could potentially soon be playing with a totally changed back four of Rosenior, Hunemeier, Goldson and Bong. Still, onwards and upwards!

Bladders

Twats everywhere
Jun 22, 2012
The Troubadour
Seems strange that although we actually had a quite good defence last season, we could potentially soon be playing with a totally changed back four of Rosenior, Hunemeier, Goldson and Bong. Still, onwards and upwards!

More to do with how the team set up rather than just the back four.

Probably a factor in whey we couldn't score last year, no one up supporting, just defending.

Oct 25, 2005
Hangleton

Not really if you consider that Bruno is currently starting ahead of Rosenir, Dunk could be off, Greer isn't getting younger and we had Bennett on loan...

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Not really if you consider that Bruno is currently starting ahead of Rosenir, Dunk could be off, Greer isn't getting younger and we had Bennett on loan...
What is strange is that it was our midfield and attack that were awful last year - yet until Murphy came on yesterday, the midfield has been all the same people that we had last year, and the only new face in attack has been Hemed, yet the defence has potentially been completely replaced.
Logically, we might have expected a new front six, rather than a new back four! (and yes, I know Bennett was on loan and would have to be replaced). Not complaining, just making an observation.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Don't know if it's been mentioned already but (a) QPR say they haven't made a bid let alone had one accepted, and (b) interesting to note that Goldson normally plays on the right of the CB pairing so appears an obvious replacement for Greer long term (and short term when injured) alongside the seemingly "left-sided" BfG.

Be nice to have the deal confirmed though. Nothing coming out of the Argus which is unusual as they normally try to claim credit once a signing looks imminent.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
What is strange is that it was our midfield and attack that were awful last year - yet until Murphy came on yesterday, the midfield has been all the same people that we had last year, and the only new face in attack has been Hemed, yet the defence has potentially been completely replaced.
Logically, we might have expected a new front six, rather than a new back four! (and yes, I know Bennett was on loan and would have to be replaced). Not complaining, just making an observation.

You are right.

We still need more creativity and a striker. Murphys encouraging debut last night gives hope. Lua Lua is only a matter of time until out injured , looked ominous last night. Winger and striker needed as was mentioned by Bozza strikers have 2 goals open play 4 games. Zamora cant be relied upon

Hopefully will arrive soon

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM

I dont agree with this, the change in formation and just defending much higher up the pitch is making our forward players much much better and giving them a chance rather than picking up the ball 30 yards from our goal.
Although I agree another couple of forward players are still required as we need a bit more quality in that area.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I dont agree with this, the change in formation and just defending much higher up the pitch is making our forward players much much better and giving them a chance rather than picking up the ball 30 yards from our goal.
Although I agree another couple of forward players are still required as we need a bit more quality in that area.

I never said anything about the change of formation or tactics, which obviously has made a difference (as you would hope!) I just pointed out that most of the new players who have played this season are defenders, the one area of the pitch where radical improvements weren't needed so badly. It is a fact that most of the players who've played in the 'front six' this season were here last season, while we've used three new back four players.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I never said anything about the change of formation or tactics, which obviously has made a difference (as you would hope!) I just pointed out that most of the new players who have played this season are defenders, the one area of the pitch where radical improvements weren't needed so badly. It is a fact that most of the players who've played in the 'front six' this season were here last season, while we've used three new back four players.

Both full back positions were needed badly although Bruno seems to have risen to the occasion.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM

absolutely agreed, however we needed more pace in the back 4 to enable us to defend higher, hence Bong,Rosenior ( he will start soon i am sure ) and Uwe.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
absolutely agreed, however we needed more pace in the back 4 to enable us to defend higher....
Good point, and maybe hats off to Hughton for spotting that. Thinking back to the end of last season, Greer, Bruno and Calde were all signed up until 2016, so here for this season at least. Admittedly, they were none of them getting any younger, and we'd maybe have to start thinking about replacing them, maybe next season.
But the NSC 'shopping list', almost universally accepted on here at the time, was for two or three quality strikers, two or three new wingers, a couple of attacking midfielders, plus a creative genius/replacement for Tex.........and a left back........and, oh yes (way down the list!), a reserve CB to replace Hughes...........
Hasn't quite turned out like that, has it? I'd like to think that's because CH knows better than we do!

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Should be a condition of the deal that he changes his surname to Goldstone.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here