Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Why I’m finally going to try to boycott Amazon

French Seagull

Jul 30, 2014
France
Should we think about where our products come from?

It's the world’s biggest online retailer which prides itself on stocking everything you could possibly desire.

But behind Amazon’s success lies something far uglier, if the latest investigation into its working practices is to be believed. From employees crying at their desks to annual staff culls designed to foster a culture of fear, merciless conditions at the company have been described by more than 100 workers. Bosses are said to push staff so far past breaking point that they ‘practically combust’, while regular sackings to keep workers on their toes

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ers-say-s-like-work-Amazon.html#ixzz3j5Wa7WEI

A nightmarish picture of people getting stress ulcers and being expected to reply to emails at midnight, of lacerating criticism and workers sobbing relentlessly at their desks. One employee describes being given a low-performance rating after returning from treatment for her thyroid cancer. Another miscarried twins, and claims she was told: “From where you are in life, trying to start a family, I don’t know if this is the right place for you.” It paints a picture of Amazon as a vampire that grabs newcomers and bleeds them out, before dumping them out on the street with a shrug:

http://www.msn.com/en-gb/money/comp...ing-to-boycott-amazon/ar-BBlOclk?ocid=SL5MDHP

The Antikythera Mechanism

The oldest known computer
NSC Patron
Aug 7, 2003
The trouble is that if you worry about the ethics of how many consumer goods are produced, you wouldn't buy anything from the Indian subcontinent or China, which is where the majority of our purchases originate. Amazon are a super efficient retailer who, in my view, offer an unrivaled service at prices that are hard to beat elsewhere.I have worked for a good few companies who manage by fear and intimidation, it's nothing new, the scale may be bigger, and with the vast number of employees that Amazon have, there will always be people coming forward with "horror" stories. Will it change my shopping habits? No, it won't.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
are they paying any taxes to us yet?

Bombadier Botty

Complete Twaddle
Jun 2, 2008
Nothing wrong with scAmazon, one of the few places you can still buy Gary Glitter and Lost Prophets CDs guilt free. I'm more concerned about tiger parks in Thailand where you can get close to heavily sedated tigers, failing that there's always the dubious world of SeaWorld in Florida, or elephant safaris around the world, but then like Amazon itself, it's convenient to just choose to ignore such things and order your cheap Amazon merchandise/pay for your entrance ticket to see the animals and have it large.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
These are claims from the USA. If this type of management was in place within the UK, I would like to think that many (if not all) of the affected employees would be starting legal proceedings against Amazon for breaching a whole raft of employment and discrimination laws.

While in many large organizations you can always find a number of employees where for whatever reason there is a tension between the employee and their manager, this doesn't usually leak out. it must just be the American way.

I certainly wouldn't be dealing with work emails at midnight.

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
These are claims from the USA. If this type of management was in place within the UK, I would like to think that many (if not all) of the affected employees would be starting legal proceedings against Amazon for breaching a whole raft of employment and discrimination laws.

While in many large organizations you can always find a number of employees where for whatever reason there is a tension between the employee and their manager, this doesn't usually leak out. it must just be the American way.

I certainly wouldn't be dealing with work emails at midnight.

SportsDirect is didn't seem that great.

French Seagull

Jul 30, 2014
France
are they paying any taxes to us yet?

They should now be paying some tax!

I think the profits must be hidden though by the accountants, Amazon took £5.3billion in sales last year, while founder Jeff Bezos has a fortune of £30.1billion, according to Forbes.

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
I would wager there's a certain amount of late hours and all that going on but with "shocking exposes" like this you have to keep in mind the people interviewed. People no longer at Amazon interviewed for this are, of course, going to be critical of that type of working method. Its probably why they're no longer there. Similarly, the people they interviewed who still work there are likely going to be more supportive and positive.

French Seagull

Jul 30, 2014
France

It is great they help (pay) NSC (I guess a small percentage) but shouldn't we all have some ethics/standards and stand up for what is right/fair? it easy to say they are not 'forced' to work for Amazon, but someone needs to make a stand or the situation or it will never change, in the past slavery ... the vote ... women's vote ... health care ... safety regulations ... maternity / paternity leave ... paid holidays .... working hours ....... + more

Igzilla

Sep 27, 2012
Worthing
Phone interview with them next week. Chill. I'll turn it round.

I had a phone interview with them a couple of years ago. When I asked about agile working hours (my subtext: can I start early and finish early?) their immediate response to my question was, "Oh, if you want to work late, you're always welcome." ???

I think not. Steer clear, I thought to myself. :eek:

mr sheen

Jan 17, 2008
Presumably the next step for Amazon is to move their entire operation to Asia where they won't have to pay taxes OR wages.
Much of their customer service is already there, took me five attempts to get my issue escalated to a British rep, who understood it.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
I've got 2 mates working for them out in Dublin and they love it. Big salaries, nice relocation package, big holiday allowance, international travel.

Not saying it's not true, but 2 sides.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I've got 2 mates working for them out in Dublin and they love it. Big salaries, nice relocation package, big holiday allowance, international travel.

Not saying it's not true, but 2 sides.
That's not really 2 sides to a coin, that just means there are some that get a decent job with them, it doesn't mean their treatment of others isn't scandalous.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
That's not really 2 sides to a coin, that just means there are some that get a decent job with them, it doesn't mean their treatment of others isn't scandalous.

America doesn't seem to have any employment laws to protect their workers whereas other countries do, largely fought for by unions.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here