Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Brighton] Brighton is actually a pretty rubbish place to live

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
Cheers, I already love the place, worst-case I'll head back to Auckland!

I assume you mean NZ
my other half and I would have maybe gone there to live had we been sensible when younger but hey ho Eastbourne is very OK

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
(Has this been on here already?)

The council is even thinking about the [beach smoking] ban sums up exactly how woolly, liberally-lefty yet draconian, confusedly-thinking this little slice of English coastal conurbation is.

The city, on a Saturday night, smells of nothing more than greasy fish and chips, stale booze, vomit and desolation.

This is a city where the council allows people to identify as Mr, Mrs or Mx on official forms (Mx means Mixter, meaning someone who doesn’t define as male or female), and where it is quite normal to see people taking drugs in public.

Lest anyone forget, Brighton is the place where ageing DJs and burnt-out London media workers move to reconnect with their “inner selves”. Gaz from Supergrass lives there. So do the Levellers, Norman Cook, aka Fatboy Slim, Annie Nightingale, Mark Little and Chris Eubank. Cate Blanchett used to own a house in neighbouring Hove, but she saw the light and sold up. Yes, there are some normal people who call the city home, but they are a minority – or at least, that’s how it appears.

MORE: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/gen...an-sums-up-whats-dreadful-about-the-city.html

Basically a very poor rehash of this Daily Mash article from a few days before which was a) funnier and b) not actually serious.

http://www.thedailymash.co.uk/news/...-the-uks-first-twats-only-town-20150720100280

Vegas Seagull

Jul 10, 2009
Why didn't she include Gilmour & Adele, bigger than any she mentions?
Disgustingly she omits a far more famous 'media' person Julie Burchill & legend Nick Cave both who have tragically lost sons in the last few weeks. Can someone ask her why?

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
Point of info on this. Gaz doesn't live here anymore, Norman Cook lives in Hove but has lived in the B&H area since the 80s, Annie Nightingale has lived here since forever, Eubank grew up here, Mark Little hasn't been since about 2010 and isn't even z-list celebrity status anymore, Cate Blanchett used to own a house in Kemptown. Apart from that....

All this and The Levellers are from here too.

If she had wanted to put the boot into media types who have migrated here, Julie Burchill would have been the obvious target. However, Burchill is no soft target and I'm guessing she was too scared to start on her.

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011
Lazy cliched journalism at its worst. Must have taken all of five minutes to write.

Probably didn't even bother with that. She was asking on twitter for opinions on Brighton with the hashtag #journorequest

brightn'ove

cringe
Apr 12, 2011
London
Again it looks like I'll be in the minority, but I can't wait to get out of Brighton.

I can't think of much going for the City.

Cons:
Sky high house prices.
Sky high rental prices.
Big homeless problem.
Big drugs problem.
The roads have become a nightmare.
Violent and Sexual crimes have risen in the past 3 years in Central Brighton.
Trains.
Dog crap and huge amounts of litter all over the place.
Hipster problem.

Pro's:
By the sea.
BHA & The Amex.
You could argue The Lanes but beggars/homeless every 20 meters asking for train fare or money for dog food etc ruin it for me.

Don't worry, I'll be gone in 6 months. :thumbsup:

Unless you're moving to the arse end of nowhere, there isn't a single place in the country that doesn't have those problems.

edit: just seen you're moving to vancouver, a city with serious homelessness and drugs issues and a sky-high cost of living :facepalm:.

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015
Indeed. What a ridiculous piece of poorly researched, spiteful click-bait. I guess she just couldn't afford the little terrace behind North Laine that she wanted to buy, and artfully accesorise with old lobster pots and bouys. Silly bitch.
made me laugh :lolol:

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada
Unless you're moving to the arse end of nowhere, there isn't a single place in the country that doesn't have those problems.

Much of the South-West plus many towns within Norfolk and Suffolk appeal to me which don't have as many (if any) of my issues.
I'm sure there are plenty of other places, I've only mentioned the above as I've lived in these parts which again, don't have many (if any) of my issues.

edit: just seen you're moving to vancouver, a city with serious homelessness and drugs issues and a sky-high cost of living :facepalm:.

I could have inserted any major City name; Auckland, Sydney, Bangkok, Lisbon, New York, Paris, Berlin etc and you would have come back with the same reply.

Thanks for your concern though. :thumbsup:

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
That's right.
In a perfect world I'd live in Vancouver April-September and Auckland October-March.

I have to say Auckland was the only place in NZ I didn't really like.

Vancouver though :thumbsup:

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada
I have to say Auckland was the only place in NZ I didn't really like.

Vancouver though :thumbsup:

Interesting! How come?

What parts of NZ did you like?
I like all of it except Christchurch, although it was during/soon after the earthquakes so maybe I'm a bit biased!

jamie the seagull

Jul 27, 2011
Just goes to show what happens when you vote for the "Greens"....never been the same.
In addition, the council's in Brighton see themselves as a small version of London in creaming the motorists..

The CONGESTION charge will follow very shortly..

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
Interesting! How come?

What parts of NZ did you like?
I like all of it except Christchurch, although it was during/soon after the earthquakes so maybe I'm a bit biased!

I liked pretty much all of the South Island, even Christchurch (this was before the earthquakes). Wellington was good and the area south of Auckland. It was possibly because Auckland was the last place I went to and just seemed a bit of a disappointment after the other places. I'd also just spent 3 months in Sydney and Auckland had nothing on it IMHO.

I still think it's a decent city though.

RexCathedra

Aurea Mediocritas
Jan 14, 2005
Vacationland
but yet one off the places with the highest amount of top rentals outside London yep really shite but everyone wants to live there.
"Nobody goes there any more. It's too crowded." Yogi Berra.

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
Even though Brighton lacks community identity as its a tourist town, this person sounds like a right twunt who can't search actual facts.

It does have a community identity. It's just that community is below the radar, as it's not visible to the press or even dfl's. You meet any Brightonians of a similR age who went to school there and you can bet your bottom dollar within a minute or so you have found mutual acquaintances.

Real Brighton, the more permanent, less transient or faddish, brighton, still exists and is still the soul of the town. couldnt give a shit what someone in the media says, they don't have a clue.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
It does have a community identity. It's just that community is below the radar, as it's not visible to the press or even dfl's. You meet any Brightonians of a similR age who went to school there and you can bet your bottom dollar within a minute or so you have found mutual acquaintances.

Real Brighton, the more permanent, less transient or faddish, brighton, still exists and is still the soul of the town. couldnt give a shit what someone in the media says, they don't have a clue.

Absolutely. I'm getting fed up with these articles that seem to look around North Laine and draw conclusions from the people they see in the coffee shops around there. According to the last census, only about 20% of the population come from outside the city so there are large numbers of native Brightonians: all of neighbours are from the area and I'm sure loads of people in the outlying areas could say the same.

BTW, I don't think the place is that expensive. It's in the south-east, so it's not going to be cheap but you can get a 4-bed house in a nice area for under £280,000. When you see that the average London price is £410,000, Brighton is not outrageously expensive

oneillco

Feb 13, 2013
I never quite understood why journalists attack a City or Town in a national rag. What's the point? It'll make the locals think less of you and if you don't live in the city in question why would you bother to read it? Odd. Smacks a little of a desperate need to be noticed, positively or negatively. Maybe daddy never visited enough? Or did he and his new girlfriend move down to Brighton?

As someone who grew up in Brighton, moved to London for ten years and has only recently returned I can tell you Brighton is a beautiful city. London, for the most part, is pretty grim. Sure central is fantastic but who can afford to live there? The cultural delights of Tottenham, or Harringey, or Wood Green, or some of the cestpits south of the river have nothing on Brighton.

You are spot on - I lived in those areas of north London for 10 years and moving back to Brighton 20 years ago was the best decision I ever made. Much as I think London is a fantastic city, us ordinary mortals can't afford to live in any of the good bits. Plenty of people don't "get" Brighton, and that's fine, but for me it has everything: good pubs/music/events/shops/restaurants/football/cinema/the sea, all within walking distance (alright I get the train to Falmer), and the people I know are generally happy and enjoy living here.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here