Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Brighton] Brighton is actually a pretty rubbish place to live

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
All i've got to say on the subject is Eff Off all the foreigners and outsiders who have swamped the town over the years and Eff Off all the trippers and give the town back to true Brightonians to live in peace and quiet like we used to.

Which ones are these? The fishermen of Beorhthelmes tūn? The Romans? Or maybe the original 18th century day-trippers who set in motion what we now have?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
She has said for as long as I can remember, whenever Annie Nightingale was on the radio (in fact), that they both went to Varndean. Next you'll be telling me that man I have always known as Uncle Barry isn't in fact an uncle.

She went to The Lady Eleanor Holles School in Hampton.

Now, about Uncle Barry ...

EDIT: That actually got me thinking; I'd never heard of any notable alumnae from Varndean Girls. According to Wikipedia, there aren't any: is that really the case?

Last edited:

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Absolutely. I'm getting fed up with these articles that seem to look around North Laine and draw conclusions from the people they see in the coffee shops around there. According to the last census, only about 20% of the population come from outside the city so there are large numbers of native Brightonians: all of neighbours are from the area and I'm sure loads of people in the outlying areas could say the same.

BTW, I don't think the place is that expensive. It's in the south-east, so it's not going to be cheap but you can get a 4-bed house in a nice area for under £280,000. When you see that the average London price is £410,000, Brighton is not outrageously expensive
Like **** you can! You'd be lucky to get that in Newhaven now. £280,000 will buy you a pokey 2 bed flat in Brighton.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Like **** you can! You'd be lucky to get that in Newhaven now. £280,000 will buy you a pokey 2 bed flat in Brighton.

Bollocks. I live in said house that has just been revalued, for mortgage purposes, at £275,000 - pretty much in line with the houses I see around me. if you don't mind living in Moulsecoomb, you can get a house even cheaper.

That's what I mean: people look at the prices in North Laine and think Brighton is really expensive but it's not that outrageous really

HitchinSeagull

Aug 9, 2012
Bollocks. I live in said house that has just been revalued, for mortgage purposes, at £275,000 - pretty much in line with the houses I see around me. if you don't mind living in Moulsecoomb, you can get a house even cheaper.

That's what I mean: people look at the prices in North Laine and think Brighton is really expensive but it's not that outrageous really
If your trying to compare it to London you may have a point, for a nice 1 bed flat in a not very special bit of Tottenham my friends looking at £330,000, so Brightons cheaper than that, but your quote for a nice area in Brighton must not be based on a desirable area as its half what you would pay.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
If your trying to compare it to London you may have a point, for a nice 1 bed flat in a not very special bit of Tottenham my friends looking at £330,000, so Brightons cheaper than that, but your quote for a nice area in Brighton must not be based on a desirable area as its half what you would pay.

As I said, it's what my house is worth. I live 5 minutes away from an over-subscribed "good to outstanding" primary school in a quiet, low-crime area, a few minutes away from the South Downs National Park. We have a local doctor's surgery, a local library and lots of community activities ... strikes me as a pretty desirable area

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006

I think you mean perceived 'nice area' or an area that is in demand by prospective buyers, Gwylan quite obviously lives in a nice area but perhaps not an area which demands higher prices :)

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I think you mean perceived 'nice area' or an area that is in demand by prospective buyers, Gwylan quite obviously lives in a nice area but perhaps not an area which demands higher prices :)

Exactly. It's not an easy commute to London so it's not going to attractive to people with London salaries but my point is that if you look outside those areas, Brighton is not stupidly expensive ... £330,000 for a one-bed gaff in Tottenham? Ye gods

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
As someone who grew up in Brighton, moved to London for ten years and has only recently returned I can tell you Brighton is a beautiful city. London, for the most part, is pretty grim. Sure central is fantastic but who can afford to live there? The cultural delights of Tottenham, or Harringey, or Wood Green, or some of the cestpits south of the river have nothing on Brighton.

Couldn't agree more. I did London for a couple of years and never got on with it. I still work here mainly because its where the majority of the companies I could work for are and because the money is that much better up here. However at the end of each day I can't wait to get back home and away from the horrible shite that you read about day after day in the Evening Standard. Compare that to Sussex.....the current number one read story on the argus website is about a lorry getting stuck in the Laines and this morning Sussex police tweeted about a tree being stolen!

Don't get me wrong it's not Narnia down here. Bad stuff does happen (road rage attack the other week prime example) and there are some grotty parts (even in Brighton!!) but it's a damn site better than a lot of places in the world.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley

Fair enough, if you say so. I have nothing against "the scoom" but the cheapest "four bedroom" house there at the moment is this one:

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-52084622.html

Which as you will see is actually a three bedroom house (they're suggesting using the dining room as a bedroom) and one of the three bedrooms is a box room. And it has a "guide price" of £275k to £300k, despite the headline figure of £275k.

The cheapest actual, proper four bedroom house in Brighton on sale at the moment that I can find is this one, at £365k:

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-52011938.html?premiumA=true

Last edited:

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
It depends what your definition of "nice area" is!

I'd rather live in Reigate than Brighton, Simster; good journey to both London and Brighton.
Had many journeys in both directions during my 26 years as a resident!

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I'd rather live in Reigate than Brighton, Simster; good journey to both London and Brighton.
Had many journeys in both directions during my 26 years as a resident!

That's why I live here. :)

Brighton doesn't interest me as a place to live - for the simple reasons that a) the traffic is diabolical and b) nothing ever gets done because a few nimbys forever hold sway. Then of course there's the fact you have to spend 3 hours a day commuting in order to pay the mortgage. It doesn't stop Brightonians on here sneering about other places though, when they'd be better off looking at the city's own woeful shortcomings.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
I always wanted to move down to Brighton from an early age...I love the place. When I got the financial wherewithal to get on the property ladder I couldn't quite find what I wanted so moved my options along the coast to Shoreham - a decision I have never regretted. But there is something about Brighton (and Hove) that I have an affinity with. It's the best place to be bar none.

If I didn't live in Brighton I'd live (in the UK) in Shoreham. Excellent town!

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
That's why I live here. :)

Brighton doesn't interest me as a place to live - for the simple reasons that a) the traffic is diabolical and b) nothing ever gets done because a few nimbys forever hold sway. Then of course there's the fact you have to spend 3 hours a day commuting in order to pay the mortgage. It doesn't stop Brightonians on here sneering about other places though, when they'd be better off looking at the city's own woeful shortcomings.

Agreed. My sister lives in Brighton and loves it. I used to love visiting it in my much younger days of the late 60's and 70's, but not now. Wife loves going shopping in Brighton, now and again, but always goes by train............as you say, traffic and parking, terrible.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
Agreed. My sister lives in Brighton and loves it. I used to love visiting it in my much younger days of the late 60's and 70's, but not now. Wife loves going shopping in Brighton, now and again, but always goes by train............as you say, traffic and parking, terrible.

Middle aged now and have lived in Saltdean/Peacehaven forever.

Growing up in and around Brighton was brilliant, no constraints as a young lad, great fun.

But I look back and it was a little bit grubby in the 70's & 80's but still loved it, but now I enjoy just as much, quirky bars, shops and people, whats not to like.

Bus services for us are great too, havent driven in and parked for years, return ticket £7.00'sh, return with a belly full of laughs, beer and food, lovely ....

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Fair enough, if you say so. I have nothing against "the scoom" but the cheapest "four bedroom" house there at the moment is this one:

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-52084622.html

Which as you will see is actually a three bedroom house (they're suggesting using the dining room as a bedroom) and one of the three bedrooms is a box room. And it has a "guide price" of £275k to £300k, despite the headline figure of £275k.

The cheapest actual, proper four bedroom house in Brighton on sale at the moment that I can find is this one, at £365k:

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-52011938.html?premiumA=true

As I said, I have a piece of paper right in front of me now that values the 4-bed house that I'm sitting in right now at £275,000. I wish that it was valued at £365k but you're venturing into fantasy land with those sort of figures.

I'm not going to spend my time searching for other homes but here's one I found within seconds

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-47313764.html?premiumA=true

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
The singer is German. And none of the others were born in Brighton.

As an aside I'd actually say, given the transient nature of the population and the history of the place, you're probably more "Brighton" if you weren't born in the city but moved there.

My parents are both from Moulsecombe but they moved to Worthing when I came along so I miss out on being born and bred. I do live here now though.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here