Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Brighton sign Harper

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
No no no. HUGHTON is hugely negative & has always played a dull boring style of football - remember Norwich fans said it so it's true...

Exactly , he is a DULLARD

I've just looked back at some NSC threads about Hughton and you are both right. I feel a bit stupid now but also angry at the lying articles and match reports I've found online that refer to Hughton's attack minded teams at Newcastle & Birmingham - what a load of BS some journalists come out with; once a dullard, always a dullard!

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
Shame he's crocked for 2 months as realistically he won't be ready for first team football or any football for a few months roughly....suspect that's why we got him.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Looks like another exciting young addition to our squad. Welcome Jack.

warmleyseagull

Apr 17, 2011
Beaminster, Dorset
This is potentially a great signing. Surely there would be many clubs in Championship who would have wanted Harper.

Seems to me that the focus for signings is on youth. It is a long-term aim that chimes with last year's achievement of Cat 1 status. Are we seeing a period when the club's short-term ambition is steady state - hold Champ status at least and if we get lucky a PO place - with aim for a concerted PL push in 2-3 seasons' time when DS players either come through or sold for big ££££s for reinvestment?

Bombadier Botty

Complete Twaddle
Jun 2, 2008
Another for the DS squad and hopefully the conveyor belt to the 1st team will start producing sooner rather than later

Once the academy starts producing, the conveyor belt will be redirected from the Amex and go north from Lancing to Carrow Road, The King Power Stadium, The Stadium of Light and all Premier League grounds inbetween.

:wink:

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
I may be wrong, but i think there is only 3 tiers in spanish football, with the 3rd being split into 4 leagues. I'm sure [MENTION=4675]Frutos[/MENTION] can confirm either way.

You are wrong, I'm afraid.

What you talk about quite rightly covers the Primera, Segunda and Segunda B (the 4 leagues tier you mentioned), but promotion to Segunda B is from the Tercera Division which is split into 18 regional groups.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Shame he's crocked for 2 months as realistically he won't be ready for first team football or any football for a few months roughly....suspect that's why we got him.

Have we signed anyone that is actually match fit? We seem to take punts on players who either have had long term injuries or recovering from one.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Having read the thread on that Tartan Army site I'm surprised at how well known this lad is, he's their great white hope. Definitely our most exciting signing of the summer, arguably the most exciting since Ulloa.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
Has his signing been influenced by our new training facilities and sign of times and happenings for the future

The two Finnish signings were a lot down to Ewan Chester, who joined the scouting team earlier in the year. CH has worked with him before and he has masses of experience. Knows Scandanavian/Baltic players well after many years at Glasgow Rangers. Working directly with Chester gives Hughton the opportunity to by-pass the normal scouting ' network ' I would suspect he has played a part in Harper's signing as well.
The recruitment of Ewan Chester was a shrewd move on Hughton's part and will pay dividends. The man is highly respected within football and has years and years of experience and extensive contacts. Expect more young players coming in from Scandanavia and Europe.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
Interesting interview on the club site - confirms that the club is well regarded in Spain:

New Brighton & Hove Albion striker Jack Harper plans to use a mix of Spanish flair and Scottish grit to breakthrough into Chris Hughton's first-team plans.

The Scotland under-19 international spent the past six seasons with Real Madrid; and last season played for the Spanish giants Juvenil A side in the UEFA Youth League.

He wore the famous all-white kit against the likes of Liverpool and FC Basel, and feels his Spanish grounding gives him the platform to make his move to Albion a success.

He told seagulls.co.uk, "I've got experience of playing in a different country and I'm ready to bring it to England. I would say that I'm a natural goalscorer; I've got the natural Spanish technique, but I work like a Scotsman!

"It was a great experience to be playing against some of the top sides in Europe last season, but I want more first-team football and it was getting quite complicated at Real Madrid.

"I was keen for a move, but I wasn't sure where to go. I had a few options, and one of the scouts in Spain painted a really good picture of Brighton & Hove Albion and everything he told me has been the case.

"Talking with my family and my agent, I felt that this was the best option for my future. Brighton is a club on the rise, so it was perfect situation for me to go forward."

The 19-year-old, has met some of his new teammates at the American Express Elite Football Performance Centre, is currently sidelined with a minor knee injury, but is aiming for a swift return.

He added, "I want to get over this short-term injury, which should be just over a month.

"I'm looking to do well with under-21s and then hopefully get a chance in the first-team before Christmas.

"Gordon Greer already welcomed me to the club when I arrived, he was a great help and is a really nice guy. He's someone who made his name here at the club and it's something that I would like to do as well.

"I've also spoken to Tomer, who is represented by the same agency as me, and he said how much he enjoys it here and explained that it was a great place to play football.

"I was told about what this club is like now, but I couldn't believe it until I got here. The training complex is brilliant and the club is ready for the Premier League."

T soprano

Oct 27, 2011
Posh end of Shoreham
Having read the thread on that Tartan Army site I'm surprised at how well known this lad is, he's their great white hope. Definitely our most exciting signing of the summer, arguably the most exciting since Ulloa.

It's also turned a few heads and make people sit up and notice the clubs ambitions for the future to bring in decent young players, with the excellent training facilities in place hopefully this is the beginning of what the club are aiming for, with Harper on board it can only attract other such promising youngsters

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Pretty funny reading this, love how a fair few of them think the championship is dire. They obviously don't watch Scottish football.

Be good if we managed to beat Aberdeen then :smile:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here