Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010
Perhaps you should read the story that accompanied it then?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/pol...MPs-to-pack-Commons-to-make-it-look-busy.html

"most MPs turn up once a week for PMs Questions and make zoo noises"

Why don't we revisit this in, say a year. and see how many are sticking to the whip then? My bet is plenty more pics to be had like the one I posted.

Many more pics in the past will be in the future. I wouldnt expect all MPs to turn up to all debate, thats not what our democrwtic process is meant to do. Not sure many if any of then have 8 kids to bring slowly back to topic

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Many more pics in the past will be in the future. I wouldnt expect all MPs to turn up to all debate, thats not what our democrwtic process is meant to do. Not sure many if any of then have 8 kids to bring slowly back to topic

REALLY? You'd happily elect someone to represent your views in parliament and then give them a pay rise for not doing it? Ok then....

But yes, since you've lost this point so dramatically let's get back on topic. Would you or would you not throw your sausage up her motorway?

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010
REALLY? You'd happily elect someone to represent your views in parliament and then give them a pay rise for not doing it? Ok then....

But yes, since you've lost this point so dramatically let's get back on topic. Would you or would you not throw your sausage up her motorway?

On first point, i would also expect them to be in their constituencies, to be on sub committees, to be drafting propsed legislation, to be influencing behind the scenes etc. probably not keen on them meeting people offering bribes

On the second, hmz........ i wouldn't, no

Last edited:

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
On first point, i would also expect them to be in their constituencies, to be on sub committees, to be drafting propsed legislation, to be influencing behind the scenes etc. probably not keen on them meeting people offering bribes

On the second, hmz........ there may well have been worse after beer goggles but i suspect i wouldn't.

Parliamentary hours (my emphasis):

2.30-10.30pm on Mondays, 11.30am-7.30pm on Tuesdays and Wednesdays, 9.30am-5.30pm on Thursdays; and 9.30am-3pm on sitting Fridays.

Now that on its own is less than my 40 hours STARTING week (can't remember the last time I actually worked that) but the emphasis is because here are the sitting Fridays for this session:

11 September 2015
16 October 2015
23 October 2015
30 October 2015
6 November 2015
20 November 2015
4 December 2015
22 January 2016
29 January 2016
5 February 2016
26 February 2016
4 March 2016
11 March 2016

So knock lunch break and half the extant Fridays off the total and there's plenty of time for committee meetings and signing papers. Recess dates you ask? More time off than the teachers they moan about.

2015-16 session

Recess

Summer 21 July 2015 - 7 September 2015
Conference 17 September 2015 - 12 October 2015
November 10 November 2015 - 16 November 2015
Christmas 17 December 2015 - 5 January 2016
February 11 February 2016 - 22 February 2016

The one thing I would concede is that they need a hotel or crash pad on expenses to be able to attend. Though not if they're within an hour of London.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Only read the first post so far and so clear to tell how this thread will go. Bash the poor. If only the ignorant OP could read and understand a decent paper he'd realise they are not the enemy.

Hook
Line
Sinker

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Parliamentary hours (my emphasis):

2.30-10.30pm on Mondays, 11.30am-7.30pm on Tuesdays and Wednesdays, 9.30am-5.30pm on Thursdays; and 9.30am-3pm on sitting Fridays.

Now that on its own is less than my 40 hours STARTING week (can't remember the last time I actually worked that) but the emphasis is because here are the sitting Fridays for this session:

11 September 2015
16 October 2015
23 October 2015
30 October 2015
6 November 2015
20 November 2015
4 December 2015
22 January 2016
29 January 2016
5 February 2016
26 February 2016
4 March 2016
11 March 2016

So knock lunch break and half the extant Fridays off the total and there's plenty of time for committee meetings and signing papers. Recess dates you ask? More time off than the teachers they moan about.

2015-16 session

Recess

Summer 21 July 2015 - 7 September 2015
Conference 17 September 2015 - 12 October 2015
November 10 November 2015 - 16 November 2015
Christmas 17 December 2015 - 5 January 2016
February 11 February 2016 - 22 February 2016

The one thing I would concede is that they need a hotel or crash pad on expenses to be able to attend. Though not if they're within an hour of London.

But you've left off the work they do in their constituencies - often over the weekend. I've had email replies in the middle of the night from my MP and meet him at local events over the weekend. It's not just how much time they spend in the H of P.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I was sat in a maternity ward & at the next bed the teenagers family, just 2 hours after the newborns arrival, spent 30 minutes talking about benefits...it was both sad & unbelievable at the same time that the joy of birth was forgotten in a pathetic numbers discussion

This is undoubtedly part of the problem - there is a section of society that is systematically milking the system (which isn't robust enough to prevent it), which the rest of us are paying for. At the same time, though, the (also systematic) avoidance of tax by other sections of society (some of the rich, big corporations and the large number of self employed that love their 'cash jobs') needs to be curbed. It's not one or the other....all of these are endemic and all are wrong.

Boroseagull

Aug 23, 2003
Alhaurin de la Torre
I still fail to understand why the father/fathers of the children are not being pursued to pay child support, at least that would seem to be the case as it's not mentioned. Also why don't the grandparents help support her lifestyle?

carlzeiss

May 19, 2009
Amazonia
I still fail to understand why the father/fathers of the children are not being pursued to pay child support, at least that would seem to be the case as it's not mentioned. Also why don't the grandparents help support her lifestyle?

If the mother tells the benefit office that the children fathers are violent and she would be at risk if they are pursued then this will not happen .

carlzeiss

May 19, 2009
Amazonia
I have no idea if this is so with Miss Buchan but does apply generally . In any case the actual Sperm Donors to these females are often either unknown or on benefits themselves .

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

theres far more productive politics at work in the committees, offices, corridors and indeed the bars, than occurs in the chamber. they turn up to say some on the record, there's very little real "debate" unless its an important high profile issue.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
theres far more productive politics at work in the committees, offices, corridors and indeed the bars, than occurs in the chamber. they turn up to say some on the record, there's very little real "debate" unless its an important high profile issue.

Screenshot_2015-07-11-09-44-36.png

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton

I know you don't think it worth voting and I know you don't hold MPs in very high regard but have you ever actually had any meaningful contact with an MP ? By that I mean actually spoken to one, asked one to try and solve a problem you have either locally or nationally ? Maybe lobbied them on voting a particular way on a bill ? MPs get a bad press when the wrong 'uns are actually very few and far between. Here in Brighton and Hove we're blessed with three decent, hard working MPs - make the most of them rather than complaining from the sidelines.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
This is undoubtedly part of the problem - there is a section of society that is systematically milking the system (which isn't robust enough to prevent it), which the rest of us are paying for. At the same time, though, the (also systematic) avoidance of tax by other sections of society (some of the rich, big corporations and the large number of self employed that love their 'cash jobs') needs to be curbed. It's not one or the other....all of these are endemic and all are wrong.

I agree completely that they are all endemic and wrong. However, if we spent government and parliamentary time and money proportionate to the amounts that these areas 'cost' society, do you think we would see the same focus as at present ?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here