Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Which bands have the fan base to fill Wembley ?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Without wishing to stoke the fire: how were Maiden on that POTG day?

Pretty good. It was a reworking of the Powerslave tour/Live After Death album complete with replica stage show. Went with my brother and whilst it did have a whiff of nostalgia we both really enjoyed it. I also saw them do a similar reworking of the Seventh Son tour a few years back. Bruce's vocals weren't holding up particularly well though; it was quite noticeable. Again it was good fun.

These types of gigs will never match the excitement/zeitgeist of when the albums were released but I approach them open minded and in the correct spirit and I got a lot from them.

Vegas Seagull

Jul 10, 2009
These 2 cropped up and we all agreed that Floyd could but were undecided about the Who.

You're wrong then, between 79 for half a dozen or more years there were only two bands on the World that could sell out a whole tour of 50 (fifty) U.S. Football stadiums with NO advertising, The Who & The Stones.
Before or since no'one has 3 hour set as strong as those two

dangull

Feb 24, 2013
U2 due to being the band with the highest grossing tour of all time, overtaking the rolling stones.

Tarpon

Sep 12, 2013
BN1
Pretty good. It was a reworking of the Powerslave tour/Live After Death album complete with replica stage show. Went with my brother and whilst it did have a whiff of nostalgia we both really enjoyed it. I also saw them do a similar reworking of the Seventh Son tour a few years back. Bruce's vocals weren't holding up particularly well though; it was quite noticeable. Again it was good fun.

These types of gigs will never match the excitement/zeitgeist of when the albums were released but I approach them open minded and in the correct spirit and I got a lot from them.

Think you have the right attitude but I'm not sure I could do it with a band I truly loved and saw at their peak...never say never though.

Tarpon

Sep 12, 2013
BN1
Distinctly average. I've seen them a few times and don't get why they're so popular.

Out of interest why see them more than once if they don't impress?

atomised

Mar 21, 2013
Mate of mine loves them and maiden gigs tend to be the only chances we get to catch up

Mr Blobby

Jul 14, 2003
In a cave
Who has played the most at Wembley Stadium. Looking at U2 I think this is accurate
Joshua Tree Tour
1987-06-12 - London, England - Wembley Stadium (20 songs)
1987-06-13 - London, England - Wembley Stadium (21 songs)
ZOO TV Tour
1993-08-11 - London, England - Wembley Stadium (21 songs)
1993-08-12 - London, England - Wembley Stadium (22 songs)
1993-08-20 - London, England - Wembley Stadium (22 songs)
1993-08-21 - London, England - Wembley Stadium (23 songs)
PopMart Tour
1997-08-22 - London, England - Wembley Stadium (23 songs)
1997-08-23 - London, England - Wembley Stadium (23 songs)
360° Tour
2009-08-14 - London, England - Wembley Stadium (23 songs)
2009-08-15 - London, England - Wembley Stadium (24 songs)

They also did 2 nights at Twickenham on 2005 on the Vertigo tour

The latest tour Innocence and Experience sees 6 nights at the O2 (all of this tour is in smaller indoor venues). The last time they did this was in 2004 when they did 4 nights at Earls Court on the Elevation tour.

Last edited:

wigman

Oct 10, 2006
East Preston
You're wrong then, between 79 for half a dozen or more years there were only two bands on the World that could sell out a whole tour of 50 (fifty) U.S. Football stadiums with NO advertising, The Who & The Stones.

It is a matter of opinion, but I believe that The Who would now not be able to fill. Wembley.

Tarpon

Sep 12, 2013
BN1
Mate of mine loves them and maiden gigs tend to be the only chances we get to catch up

Fair enough: I persisted with Dylan gigs for longer than I probably should have for the same reasons.

Worthingite

Sexy Pete... :D
Sep 16, 2011
Worthing
Some really obvious ones you've missed so far:

Taylor Swift
Red Hot Chilli Peppers

And maybe Rihanna

not overly sure they would any more after their last two albums utterly tanked. I know for a fact they did after By The Way, but since then...... The arena maybe but the stadium, probably not

Worthingite

Sexy Pete... :D
Sep 16, 2011
Worthing

Queen?!!

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
The Maiden ticket office said sold out ,so i didnt get a day off work .wasnt going to go without a ticket ,as i have before with no luck ,so **** off you prick

This response is still bringing a smile to my face :lolol:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Stat Brother made a point about multiple stadium gigs but conversely I think, with the right support bill, and limited alternative UK gigs quite a few bands could probably headline.

And with this is mind I think Maiden could step up to Wembley.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here