Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] There is ZERO chance of SIGNING anyone today.

Simontheseagull

Eye from the sky
Jul 11, 2010
The Amex
There will be next to zero chance of signing anyone better than we already have in this transfer window.

We are now in a different market trying to sign much better than average players who generally want to play in squad matches during the group stages of the Champions League. Overhyped and overpaid players will cost tens of millions of pounds each and want ridiculous signing on fees and wages. Their agents are on the make too.

Players like Moussa Dembele of Celtic spring to mind. He thinks he is far too good for little old Brighton, and by all accounts many Celtic fans have commented on his “can’t be bothered” attitude. Similar aged loan players we have borrowed from Manchester United, Arsenal and Chelsea over the past 2 seasons have demonstrated we need to ensure we buy players with the right attitude if TB is not to squander large sums of money on talented “20 somethings” who haven’t got what it takes to fulfil their potential. Maybe I am being a bit harsh, as Lingard and Tomori put in good shifts for us while on loan. The point I am making though, is that having all the talent in the world is no good if a player does not have the right attitude.

I suspect we will continue to try and sign younger hot prospects for the future like Viktor Gyokeres who represent much better value for money, unless we can identify good value under the radar signings like Gross and Propper during the last transfer window, or Knockaert this time last year.

Let’s face it, realistically we are probably in a relegation scrap for the rest of the season with West Brom, Swansea, Stoke, Southampton, Newcastle and Huddersfield, and possible also with West Ham, Bournemouth, Palace and Watford. Even with the players we have we are currently not one of the worst 3 teams in the league.

As much as I would like to stay in the Premier League, TB is clearly hedging his bets as we still have under contract current back up players who are not playing regularly in Hemed, Baldock, Murphy, Kayal and Goldson to name a few, who could step into the boots of players who might be sold in the summer to balance the books and comply with FFP if we are relegated to The Championship.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Why should we be planning for another season in the Championship surely that should be avoided at all costs and every effort put into making sure it doesnt happen although its not my money doing the buying. What I do not understand is why we are still looking and negotiating for a striker surely that should have been done during September/October/November.

Bra

Feb 21, 2009
patcham
Why should we be planning for another season in the Championship surely that should be avoided at all costs and every effort put into making sure it doesnt happen although its not my money doing the buying. What I do not understand is why we are still looking and negotiating for a striker surely that should have been done during September/October/November.

Totally agree. I thought wed move very quickly once the window opened to avoid the summer issues and give us the best chance of survival. Lets hope its next week.

fleet

Jul 28, 2003
Totally agree. I thought wed move very quickly once the window opened to avoid the summer issues and give us the best chance of survival. Lets hope its next week.

Although today would be better!

Simontheseagull

Eye from the sky
Jul 11, 2010
The Amex

Its called "Plan B".

I agree "Plan A" is more desirable and we should be doing all we can to stay in the Premier League. However we can't always have what we want, and having a back up plan to get out of The Champiobship at the first attempt if we need it, makes sense.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

TB and PB are hell bent on us staying up. The positive hints within PB’s last programme notes suggest we’re bringing in player/s this month.

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
I got the impression Tony Bloom, Paul Barber and Chris Hughton were less than happy with our failure to sign a striker in the summer. l'd be very surprised if it's allowed to happen in this window.

Simontheseagull

Eye from the sky
Jul 11, 2010
The Amex
TB and PB are hell bent on us staying up. The positive hints within PB’s last programme notes suggest we’re bringing in player/s this month.

The problem we have is getting players better than the ones we already have to join us. We might want them, but they might not want to join us, or their current clubs might not want to sell them to us.

We could probably persuade Jordan Rhodes or Naki Wells to join us for say £15m to £20m each on high wages, but they wouldn't get into our first team.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I got the impression Tony Bloom, Paul Barber and Chris Hughton were less than happy with our failure to sign a striker in the summer. l'd be very surprised if it's allowed to happen in this window.

I would agree BUT we need at least one to play at WBA a winnable 6 pointer and also away at Southampton. We must hope to continue our draws at home when we play Chelsea.

ofco8

May 18, 2007
Brighton

Agree with this. I am worried we are following our failed strategy of the summer. i.e. a list of players that we pursue in preference order. Then as medicals fail, player doesn't want to come or money issues we go down the list until the last day of window and sign nobody. The preferred way surely is to be negotiating pre window, as Liverpool and Virgil, and sign up on the first couple of days of window..

Oh well, shows my naievity!!!

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Agree with this. I am worried we are following our failed strategy of the summer. i.e. a list of players that we pursue in preference order. Then as medicals fail, player doesn't want to come or money issues we go down the list until the last day of window and sign nobody. The preferred way surely is to be negotiating pre window, as Liverpool and Virgil, and sign up on the first couple of days of window..

Even going down 'your list' wouldnt we still have known by Jan 1st who was likely to sign and who not.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003

Search for a striker - 9 months and counting, clearly no rush.

Simontheseagull

Eye from the sky
Jul 11, 2010
The Amex

The media was suggesting that we were trying to to persuade Moussa Dembele to join us before the current transfer window opened. We were supposedly in talks with Celtic, before this was denied (depends who you believe)

The fact is, if a player who can improve our first team doesn't want to join us, or their clubs won't let them join us, we wont be signing them. Even if we had offered £146m to Liverpool to sign Coutinho, he would still have joined Barcelone for £145m!

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
The media was suggesting that we were trying to to persuade Moussa Dembele to join us before the current transfer window opened. We were supposedly in talks with Celtic, before this was denied (depends who you believe)

The fact is, if a player who can improve our first team doesn't want to join us, or their clubs won't let them join us, we wont be signing them. Even if we had offered £146m to Liverpool to sign Coutinho, he would still have joined Barcelone for £145m!

Then obviously we are not targeting getable targets and not being realistic. So must be more realistic in setting out our targets as to who we are and who may wish to join us. I still think Eastern Europe possible Germany Holland or Belgium the area to look. rather than Spain Italy and France

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing

£148m?

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Let’s get realistic here. Smug Eddie has said that he expects Lewis Grabban to leave in the January window. We MIGHT be able to afford him this time? No talk of it and you know how we do things under the radar :wink:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here