Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] There is ZERO chance of SIGNING anyone today.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
If KLL had come on instead of Norwood he would have tried a worldy from 35 yeards instead of playing a perfect pass to Hemed to score. KLL is no where near the player he was at the start of last season before he was injured, all four of our wingers are better so why do we need a fifth

We'll effectively have a fifth if needed when Liam is fully fit again anyway..................

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
My understanding is that there are potentially 2 options. 1 permanent deal, 1 loan deal.
Well neither deal is signed, so it's not definite. That aside, you're saying we'll get someone either on loan or on permanent contract. That's not really narrowing it down is it.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
IIf we want someone who can do the business next season in the PL you are probably looking at what £15m transfer plus £50k a week?
Sounds fine to me.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Sounds fine to me.

Although it'll the the equivalent of doing your weekly big shop in Harrods, while moaning about how expensive it is to do the big shop.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I cannot see a 1st choice permanent signing, as it would make no sense at this point. We should be looking either at a loan or a PLR striker, doubt we will want to spend the money on that until we are in the PL.
I don't see why not. The main difficulty might be persuading a striker of that quality to start in the Championship, but I'd hope we're trying. I imagine both loan and permanent options are still open.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Although it'll the the equivalent of doing your weekly big shop in Harrods, while moaning about how expensive it is to do the big shop.
I don't get the comparison at all. If we don't sign someone, and we get promoted, we'll then be looking to sign someone in the summer. What's wrong with making that same signing now?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I don't get the comparison at all. If we don't sign someone, and we get promoted, we'll then be looking to sign someone in the summer. What's wrong with making that same signing now?
It's the signing that should have been made (rectified) for the last 18 months.

The original made up figures quoted £15m @ £50k per week, are top end English prices, for players who are more McCormack than Messi.
All the while the club (TB) has quite justifiably said 'I ain't paying that'.

We're talking about a club that has recruited Leo and Tomer for the same money as one of Ross McCormack's legs, why would we suddenly expect the Albion to pay the money stupid clubs do.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
We're talking about a club that has recruited Leo and Tomer for the same money as one of Ross McCormack's legs, why would we suddenly expect the Albion to pay the money stupid clubs do.
Because this time we're a lot closer to promotion. For the money we're talking, we'd be looking at a better quality striker than Leo or McFat, and the right one would all but guarantee promotion. If we get promoted, it's likely we'll spend stupid money on a striker, if we haven't already done so.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Because this time we're a lot closer to promotion. For the money we're talking, we'd be looking at a better quality striker than Leo or McFat, and the right one would all but guarantee promotion. If we get promoted, it's likely we'll spend stupid money on a striker, if we haven't already done so.
No striker signing would be borderline insanity.

I wouldn't get too far ahead with regards to spending stupid money in the future.
I just don't see the club throwing all it's ethos under a bus, suddenly behaving like a kid in a sweet shop, just because the shackles are off.

How many other teams record signing is a central defender?

TB didn't get what he's got by losing his head the moment the stakes get raised.
Chris has a massive blind spot spending some else's money, and an even bigger gap in his CV when buying strikers.

I just can't see the club pulling a Redknapp not now, and not in the near future.

A deal will be done (fingers crossed).
It'll be a good deal.
It might even be a big deal.
But I doubt it'll be the player all the sheep clubs are currently in a, behind closed doors, bidding war to buy.

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
I do have faith but you conveniently missing my point about signing another striker. We are almost over the line but are short up top. To risk not signing one now is simply criminal.

I'm also well aware of why we are top and who we have signed. It still doesn't get away from the fact we need another striker.

I rather suspect that the recruitment team are aware of that and based on their performance over the last few windows, I am optimistic that we will get a striker in before the window closes.
(As far as I recall, only Manu has been a flop.)

Seasidesage

May 19, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
Yep lets get Shane Long in now and not wait until the summer :) wouldnt cost 15 million either...

Shane Long is a good example of the insanity of the current English market. FWIW I think he's a good player but if you wanted to sign him you'd be looking north of £10m according to Wiki at least he has a contract to 2020. He is 30 relies a lot of pace and running power and has the sum total of 1 premier league goal this season. He might come in and rip it up and that's not impossible but that's a hell of an outlay for a player who will have little or no resell value in a couple of years and is on the downward path. I get it that if we are promoted that sum won't matter but if we are to have any chance moving forward of doing anymore than just surviving we need to buy good players young and sell them on for a profit while reinvesting that on other good players (See it's easy if you say it quickly enough!)

It's a tricky balancing act but buying players in the summer is surely preferable to buying now when prices are inflated? That said it's for me at least imperative we get a striker in somehow but I'm not sure buying one for big bucks is the best move right now at least not one from the PL.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
It's a tricky balancing act but buying players in the summer is surely preferable to buying now when prices are inflated?
Why are you suggesting prices are higher now than in the summer?

clarkey

Jan 3, 2006
Why are you suggesting prices are higher now than in the summer?

Conversely, surely our budget will be higher in the summer? (If all goes to plan....)

Anyhow, my theory is, sign someone now until end of season whos a capable back up to Sammy B. Sign someone in the summer who Sammy B can be a capable replacement for.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Is the transfer window FRED not good enough for you morons to discuss your opinions? This is for EXLUSIVE transfer SCOUPS and ITK posters to REVEEL information. Clear off!

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Conversely, surely our budget will be higher in the summer? (If all goes to plan....)
Not necessarily. If the same player was available now and in the summer the advantage of waiting would be that we don't risk spending money that we can't afford, the disadvantage would be that it would reduce the chance of promotion. I would say the disadvantage seriously outweighs the advantage.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Is the transfer window FRED not good enough for you morons to discuss your opinions? This is for EXLUSIVE transfer SCOUPS and ITK posters to REVEEL information. Clear off!
But you've said you know who we're buying but you won't reveal it, so of course the rest of us have to guess etc.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
But you've said you know who we're buying but you won't reveal it, so of course the rest of us have to guess etc.

YES I NO! But I'm INTHENO - the rest of you can guess it out over on the Transfer window thread with that muppet [MENTION=12291]Bradders[/MENTION] :angry:

clarkey

Jan 3, 2006
Not necessarily. If the same player was available now and in the summer the advantage of waiting would be that we don't risk spending money that we can't afford, the disadvantage would be that it would reduce the chance of promotion. I would say the disadvantage seriously outweighs the advantage.

I think we're making the same point. If we can't afford it now, but can next window, then our budget will be bigger in the summer! But Board risk appetite may be to break the bank this window and hope/assume it pays itself back in May.

My immediate instinct is that the latter doesn't sound like our management. But I guess financially it's akin to rejecting all those bids last summer.

I just get the feeling any movement this window will be a supplement rather than a marquee signing

Zebedee

Anyone seen Florence?
Jul 8, 2003
Hangleton
If we do not sign a decent striker in this transfer window, I think we run the real risk of screwing up our promotion bid this season. We are almost certain to suffer from injuries/suspensions in our small strike-force between now and the end of the campaign, which could cost us dearly. Lets hope that the club don't take this unnecessary risk. We have waited for long enough to reach the promised land.

I hope we rest most of our best players tomorrow. We don't want them kicked all over the park, and possibly injured, for the dubious benefit of getting through to the 5th round of the FA cup.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here