Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Zamora

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
Look, we all know the stats, and I would be delighted if we got 30 starts out of Zamora if he signed and double figures in goals, its way more than our current shower of front men get.

His hold up play and general game is way better than people are giving him credit for on here. He would give a proper performance of centre forward play that we just have not seen in way too long.

This signing if it happens is not even about Zamora's ability, that is without question in my opinion.

This signing is as much if not more about a feel good factor, giving us something to get motivated by, something to get the squad motivated by, showing we have good positive ambitions for the season.

A 1yr deal with a 1yr option would be the way I would go, giving us some protection if injuries really did finish him off in the first season.

Im very much hoping we can pull this deal off.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Zamora is a player who was praised, repeatedly, last season where he was playing in the Premier League.

Of course he's not the same player that we last saw wearing Albion colours, but I'd be delighted to have a PL-class striker in our team who was well regarded for 'bullying' some of the high quality central defenders he played against last season.

Beyond that, despite not being prolific, he does still have an eye for goal and seems to have had a knack of scoring when playing in important high-pressure games, such as play-off finals.

And, if all that were not enough, he's Bobby Zamora. The lift he would give our club, after a turgid season, would be immense.

The thought of being in a full Amex on a sunny day in early August as Richie Reynolds announces his name for the first time makes me feel all peculiar.

I really, really hope that we get to see Zamora playing for us next season.

Seasidesage

May 19, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
Look, we all know the stats, and I would be delighted if we got 30 starts out of Zamora if he signed and double figures in goals, its way more than our current shower of front men get.

His hold up play and general game is way better than people are giving him credit for on here. He would give a proper performance of centre forward play that we just have not seen in way too long.

This signing if it happens is not even about Zamora's ability, that is without question in my opinion.

This signing is as much if not more about a feel good factor, giving us something to get motivated by, something to get the squad motivated by, showing we have good positive ambitions for the season.

A 1yr deal with a 1yr option would be the way I would go, giving us some protection if injuries really did finish him off in the first season.

Im very much hoping we can pull this deal off.

All of that is true, if we can get 30 starts from him? Oh and 10 goals.

He managed 19 in the PL last season. So every other game he started. He also managed 12 apps off the bench. He scored all of 3 goals.

A great great player for us, but the stats say he has gone. We give him another 12 months at say £20k a week, plus signing bonus, plus app bonuses, win bonuses etc etc
It would be at a guess an investment of what £1.5m? There would be no re sale value, so that has gone. If he plays and does the business that wouldn't matter but his track record of late suggests he wouldn't...

durrington gull

Aug 29, 2004
Worthing
Zamora is a player who was praised, repeatedly, last season where he was playing in the Premier League.

Of course he's not the same player that we last saw wearing Albion colours, but I'd be delighted to have a PL-class striker in our team who was well regarded for 'bullying' some of the high quality central defenders he played against last season.

Beyond that, despite not being prolific, he does still have an eye for goal and seems to have had a knack of scoring when playing in important high-pressure games, such as play-off finals.

And, if all that were not enough, he's Bobby Zamora. The lift he would give our club, after a turgid season, would be immense.

The thought of being in a full Amex on a sunny day in early August as Richie Reynolds announces his name for the first time makes me feel all peculiar.

Miles better than our current so called 'strikers' - shift out Cog, colunga and baldock, get in Bobby and another quality striker

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
11 goals in the last 4 seasons ..... I know he's a creative player but come on his best years are behind him. Wouldn't be suprised if we signed him but he's hardly gonna be the next ulloa.

Ok this was in the PL so he should have a better return in the Championship but age and fitness are against him. He may give the fans a boost but he's not the new messiah.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Miles better than our current so called 'strikers' - shift out Cog, colunga and baldock, get in Bobby and another quality striker
This, but we'd also need the young Paraguayan and probaly one other if we ship out all 3.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
2 sets of back to back games, out of 12 (TWELVE) starts in a 31 game appearance season scoring 3 goals and creating 4 assists.

The previous season in the Championship BZ started 9 (NINE) in 21 appearances scoring just 4.

Any other player, with those credentials, commanding the wage he'll be expecting, would have this board in up roar.
So what wages will he be expecting? Surely the wages he expects will be reflected by his age, the amount of games he's able to play, his recent scoring record. If he doesn't join us, why is another club prepared to pay more?

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea

He managed 19 in the PL last season. So every other game he started. He also managed 12 apps off the bench. He scored all of 3 goals.

A great great player for us, but the stats say he has gone. We give him another 12 months at say £20k a week, plus signing bonus, plus app bonuses, win bonuses etc etc
It would be at a guess an investment of what £1.5m? There would be no re sale value, so that has gone. If he plays and does the business that wouldn't matter but his track record of late suggests he wouldn't...

Vicente played 14 times for Valencia and scored one goal in the season before he came to us - Footballs a risk, sometimes risks pay off other times they don't - Wayne Bridge and Matthew Upson could have gone very wrong but didn't

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea

And with a new away shirt coming out what a perfect selling opportunity, they will fly off the shelves, just hope they order plenty of Z's

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003

Have u heard anything on this rumour Sir? Has it got legs?

Pls ls pls say you have!?!?!? Thanks.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Poor stat.

Wednesday 4th March, Bobby played 90 minutes against Arsenal.
Saturday 7th March, Bobby plays another 90 minutes against Tottenham.

Two 90 minute games (against high quality opposition) in a week. Something that O'Grady didn't manage for us all season.

Sat 9th August, Chris plays all 90 minutes* v Sheffield Wednesday
Tue 12th August, Chris plays all 90 minutes* v Cheltenham
Saturday 16th August, Chris plays all 90 minutes* v Birmingham

He also played the full 90* in consecutive games v Derby and Reading, but they were one week apart, so not sure if that counts.

*plus added on time.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales

£1.5m is a lot of money, but his signing is sure to generate extra revenue for the club. There have been quite a few posters on here stating that they'll renew or buy extra tickets if we get him, as well as non-season ticket holders like me who'll make more of an effort to attend so we can watch him play. He's pretty well known now so that'll lift the clubs profile (we might get three TV slots instead of two) plus his presence will shift more shirts (my son will want a Zamora top).

He's still a pretty good player too!

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
I can see the club being up for this, and it seems a lot of fans are too. I just wonder whether Hughton feels Bobby can make a contribution to the team or if he has someone else in mind.

I personally feel this moves makes a much football sense as it does in a commercial/feel-good factor sense. Really hope we can make this happen.

Silverhatch

Feb 23, 2009
Preston Park
Add into the mix that Bobby himself will probably get some extra motivation from being back at the Albion. He's only human after all and he knows he's idolised down here.

Even my QPR supporting mate who thinks Zamora is crap, said that he was one of the better players in their relegation run-in; to quote "At least he seemed to give a shit!"

If BZ came back I'm sure he'd really want to try and make it happen on the pitch.

Iamapen15

May 17, 2009
Back of the North Stand
I'm giving you what I've heard from somebody who probably knows more than your average Joe. He said that BZ had recently turned down the opportunity to go to Greece and India. However, he is in talks with clubs in England and Scotland. I don't know who these clubs are and wasn't told. Nor do I believe that the person giving me this information knows for sure who these teams are.

So sort of something and nothing. Take out of it what you will.

I still really want this to happen and think it will.

Seasidesage

May 19, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
Vicente played 14 times for Valencia and scored one goal in the season before he came to us - Footballs a risk, sometimes risks pay off other times they don't - Wayne Bridge and Matthew Upson could have gone very wrong but didn't

Totally agree. Zamora could come back play every game, score 40 goals and get back in the England squad. I'm not claiming to know for sure either way, but for me the risk v the amount of our budget he would eat up is not worth it. Upson and Bridge were both younger and more importantly defenders, the game is played in front of you it's easier. Vicente was the most gifted player who ever played for the club IMO but could you call his spell a success? Vicente is an example of what I fear would happen with Bobby the odd brilliant performance interspaced with long periods out.

I would take him on a low wage is a squad player, I just don't think he should be our No.9 with COG filling in when he's injured...

Sargey

Jan 27, 2006
Portslade
There are too many positives that could come from this deal, it would be stupid not to attempt to get him here.

The boost it would give around the club, the money it would generate are just a couple of positives but the fact that form is temporary and class is permenant and whether you think BZ is OTT or not, he still has class! That goal last season when he lobbed the keeper in the far corner says he has more class still than a lot of strikers in the Championship!!

If we got him, I reckon you can forget any relegation battle....it would be a very significant signing. ONE THAT WOULD ALSO INTEREST OTHER QUALITY PLAYERS TO THE CLUB????

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here