Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Brighton i360 construction update.

Vegas Seagull

Jul 10, 2009
I'm not against the 360. But I think the way they are trying to shut down the wheel and public money being given to a private enterprise does sound underhand to say the least. I would rather the council had renovated the arches with the money.

The wheel agreed to shut down after 5 years before being allowed to set up. Pathetic they are trying to renege

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Ah, the good old financial blackmail argument.
Hardly. I just think it would be a better use of his time than sitting in the pub and crossing his fingers that it doesn't go bust and cost him money.
So someone like me, and clearly @The Rivet should pay to go on a white elephant because otherwise our council tax will go up?
I doubt it will be a white elephant.
I kind of hope it fails because the whole thing absolutely stinks to high heaven. I will be boycotting it and I know plenty of other locals that will as well.
That's the spirit.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I'm not against the 360. But I think the way they are trying to shut down the wheel and public money being given to a private enterprise does sound underhand to say the least. I would rather the council had renovated the arches with the money.

What's underhand? A low interest central government facility (PWLB) was used to loan the cash to the the company running the attraction. It was independently vetted as a viable business. This is all very transparent and above board and a process used by many other councils.

Captain Sensible

Jul 8, 2003
Not the real one
The wheel agreed to shut down after 5 years before being allowed to set up. Pathetic they are trying to renege

Why is it pathetic? It looked pretty busy to me this summer, why shouldn't it carry on? Most tourist cities have a wheel. I just don't get why the i360 lot are insisting the wheel comes down? Whats it got to do with them?
As I said I'd rather they renovated the arches instead of blowing it all on a giant chimney.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Why is it pathetic? It looked pretty busy to me this summer, why shouldn't it carry on? Most tourist cities have a wheel.
How many of them also have a 160m viewing tower?
As I said I'd rather they renovated the arches instead of blowing it all on a giant chimney.
You'd have rather the money was spent elsewhere, but it wasn't. It's being spent on the i360, so where you'd have preferred it to go isn't really relevant for the decision on whether we should keep the wheel. Personally I don't see the point of having both, and the i360 looks much more exciting, and will be about the same price for residents.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Why is it pathetic? It looked pretty busy to me this summer, why shouldn't it carry on? Most tourist cities have a wheel. I just don't get why the i360 lot are insisting the wheel comes down? Whats it got to do with them?

There's your answer, right there. Brighton is not "most cities."

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
What's underhand? A low interest central government facility (PWLB) was used to loan the cash to the the company running the attraction. It was independently vetted as a viable business. This is all very transparent and above board and a process used by many other councils.

Oh come on HT, there was a private backer who then pulled out - who exactly was this 'independent' vetter - a public body I think you mean. When you say it was transparent what do you mean ? There were EXACTLY two votes required to pass it on top of the Greens support - Theobald delivered EXACTLY those two votes. I've spoken to three current Tory councillors who were councillors then and they say that Theobald went against the party consensus to deliver those two votes. What deal did he do to get those votes ? Apparently there were moves afoot to remove him as leader because of this but it was decided it would ruin any chance of the Tories taking control of the council if they got rid of him so close to an election. I can't repeat the words of one Tory councillor about good old backhander Geoff.

If the project was viable then private backers would have paid for it.

PS - if I'd realised what an eyesore it would have been from my house I would have been a NIMBY. Utterly ugly and unnecessary but of course it wouldn't have done any good with the corruption involved.

Last edited:

Captain Sensible

Jul 8, 2003
Not the real one
There's your answer, right there. Brighton is not "most cities."

Should have said most cities that are any good. Why take something away that is successful and is a tourist attraction? Just so the chimney has the best chance of getting business? I think that's a rather pathetic model. When your business plan only works if another attraction is dismantled. If the 360 is that good then it should be successful all by itself.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
If i360 such a good thing, WHY is the council having to underwrite the loan?
One of the things with a tourist attraction, is that it can be good for a whole area, so while it may not make money on its own, overall it's good for the city.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
If i360 such a good thing, WHY is the council having to underwrite the loan?

Could set a dangerous precedent, opening themselves up to legal action, if don't back other schemes wanting funds..?

It will not set a dangerous precedent because the PWLB is a route which has been used by many councils many times before. The precedent was set many years ago by someone else. There is nothing new or unique about this lending model.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Should have said most cities that are any good. Why take something away that is successful and is a tourist attraction? Just so the chimney has the best chance of getting business? I think that's a rather pathetic model. When your business plan only works if another attraction is dismantled. If the 360 is that good then it should be successful all by itself.

I am guessing that the economics of the i360 were arrived at by assuming the wheel would stick to it's original planning application? The wheel is a bit shit anyway. I for one will not miss it.

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
View from Hollingdean Park, Lynchet Close, this morning.

Attachments

• i360 NSC.jpg
    i360 NSC.jpg
    217.2 KB · Views: 238

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
View from Hollingdean Park, Lynchet Close, this morning.

It is turning into one very impressive structure. I think this will be surprisingly successful venture. The i360's ridiculous size is sure to impress the day trippers and I sincerely hope that the fortunes of a now dowdy Preston St will be turned around as a result.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here