Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Other Championship clubs are doing business...

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
I don't get this thread. The transfer window doesn't open until 1st July 2015 so why all the panic? At the moment players can only sign pre-contract terms.
Waiting until 1st July to sign anyone means that we'll have to sign 6 or so players in a just a few days to enable them all to be at our pre-season training camp which starts on July 5th.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
A quick look at the Champ clubs shows that in fact virtually none of them are doing any business. At all.
Probably because its May 22nd.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
it's all very well pointing at the bed wetters but the lack of activity early doors is just soooooooo us......another season of shyte perhaps , all i know is that surely the guys in control of the club cant be as daft as most of us seem to think they are....innit..!"?

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
Waiting until 1st July to sign anyone means that we'll have to sign 6 or so players in a just a few days to enable them all to be at our pre-season training camp which starts on July 5th.

Will the club even announce if they have signed anyone on a pre-contract prior to the 1st July? They didn't with Toko last year and he agreed to sign in January - the first we heard about it was when he actually joined the club after his contract ran out.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I think most peoples view is that by signing players now we get the pick of all available rather than what is left that nobody else wants on 1st Aug. Does paying wages from now make a significant difference to the overall picture and expenditure.

Langley

Mar 10, 2008
Waltham Chase, Hants
Does that mean we should follow suit and hold off signing anybody until other clubs do.

NO, but it does mean that we hold fire until better plays become available, many of the clubs have yet to announce the players that they are going to release. I am sure that CH has earmarked targets and waiting for the right moment. Too many on here think that an early signing is the answer to their prayers, I personally have not seen any of the players available that either tick my box or would add anything to strengthen the existing squad.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
NO, but it does mean that we hold fire until better plays become available, many of the clubs have yet to announce the players that they are going to release. I am sure that CH has earmarked targets and waiting for the right moment. Too many on here think that an early signing is the answer to their prayers, I personally have not seen any of the players available that either tick my box or would add anything to strengthen the existing squad.

Most clubs have issued their retained lists except Premier clubs perhaps he is waiting for them.

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003
Will the club even announce if they have signed anyone on a pre-contract prior to the 1st July? They didn't with Toko last year and he agreed to sign in January - the first we heard about it was when he actually joined the club after his contract ran out.

He was announced in May.

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003
I think most peoples view is that by signing players now we get the pick of all available rather than what is left that nobody else wants on 1st Aug. Does paying wages from now make a significant difference to the overall picture and expenditure.

Contracts end on June 30th, so we would be announcing players that would be ours from July 1st, and therefore not being on the payroll until July 1st.

sdmartin1

Sep 23, 2008
A quick look at the Champ clubs shows that in fact virtually none of them are doing any business. At all.
Probably because its May 22nd.

Brentford- finished in the top 6, already doing business

Wolves- finished desperately close to the top 6, already doing business

Notts Forest- Good side but had a poor manager in Pearce, already doing business.

See the pattern here? Ambition.

I appreciate what people are saying that the better players will become available later on in the window, however we will also end up paying vastly inflated wages... if the reports are true that our wages last season were as high as they've ever been with players of the quality we had, we obviously ended up getting conned. Offering a fair wage early on and getting the squad assembled early is no bad thing at all imo. I expect you to disagree as the club representative on this forum though.

matski_98

Apr 16, 2012
Who cares that Brentford, Wolves etc. have signed a player now, so what? Doesn't mean that the players they signed are any good or that these new players will make any difference to their chances of getting promotion next season. We could sign someone at the 11.59 on the last day of the transfer window who bangs in 30 goals next season.

Signing early doesn't guarantee you the pick of the crop it just means you signed someone early.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Yep. Told their manager to leave.

You've got that wrong, I think he told them he was off months ago because he didn't agree with their upcoming change to the Tony Bloom approach to player recruitment :wink:

Last edited:

casbom

Jul 24, 2007
I wouldn't expect any business before the end of this month, however when I've said before that we should be doing business early, I mean getting the majority of it done before we go singing in the hills like Julie Andrews!

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
You've got that wrong, I think he told them he was off months ago because he didn't agree with their upcoming change to the Tony Bloom approach to player recruitment :wink:

Before they cobbled together their public statement as to what went wrong and agreed it was a mutual parting of the ways there were reports in The Times and elsewhere that Warburton had been sacked.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here