Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Derby and Fulham bid for Dunk [+ Newcastle now interested]

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
Maybe they don't/didn't like the management set up/team of the past couple of seasons, as you can hardly say good players didn't want to sign for us when Gus was here. People like Upson, Bridges, Ulloa, Vicente, Kuszczak, Harper, Orlandi and Mackial Smith (hot property and wanted by other clubs at the time) come to mind. So what has happened since?

CMS is a good case in point, he had offers from bigger and better placed clubs that us but still decided to come here (think he said it was the atmosphere our fans generated when we played against Peterborough that helped him decide to come here)

If it was just down to facilities, league prospects, etc, like we have now then he wouldn't have joined us. It shows tht it's not necessarily having the best ground or whatever, or which division that is the deciding factor and therefore, despite what fans think, having the Amex and Lancing doesn't mean we should be an automatic first choice.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
True, but players seem reluctant to sign for us or stay anymore. .

We currently have 18/19 players in our first team squad who seem quite keen to stay and of those many have signed extended contracts with us to stay even longer in the past 6 months alone (Walton, Rea, Bruno, Calde, Greer, Kayal, Lua Lua, March, JFC and Dunk)
And we signed many players last summer who did sign for us and wanted to come here. (Baldock, Holla, COG, Stockdale, Kayal)

Probably because we spend c£20m a year or thereabouts on their wages. And they like it here.

Or do you really mean we've sold 3 players in the last 12 months to premier league clubs who you'd have preferred stayed, and we've bought a fair few players on long contracts last summer who haven't delivered the goods. Which is true but not the same thing.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
CMS is a good case in point, he had offers from bigger and better placed clubs that us but still decided to come here (think he said it was the atmosphere our fans generated when we played against Peterborough that helped him decide to come here)

If it was just down to facilities, league prospects, etc, like we have now then he wouldn't have joined us. It shows tht it's not necessarily having the best ground or whatever, or which division that is the deciding factor and therefore, despite what fans think, having the Amex and Lancing doesn't mean we should be an automatic first choice.
According to Mr Bloom CMS joined because Mr Poyet sold to him a style of play CMS couldn't resist.

Also according to Mr Bloom, Mr Poyet instantly reneged on his word.

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
I am sure that players take into consideration the clubs potential for the season which is also factor in their decisions. We were a shambles at the time, a thin squad, a new manager, and had just sold Ulloa, whilst Boro had stability. I would have chosen Boro myself with all things considered.

Don't forget that fans were in full bed wetting mode in the summer.

Complaining about the Manager leaving (then the incoming manager) the new kit provider, the advertising for the club (one league, one ambition) about the players we had lost and the players we had left.

They were complaining about the lack of signings and when we finally made a few, they were complaining that the players we were signing arn't good enough for the club and so on.

It wouldn't surprise me if players look at how the fans are (happy or complaining (sometimes unjustly) and take that into consideration before signing?

When we moved to the Amex, the fans were in extasacy about having a new ground and optimistic for the future and every new signing was seem as fantastic (we are moving up in the World, but didn't have the expectations of promotion to the PL yet)

Maybe that possitivity helped them (as it helped Bournemouth who are probably still buzzing after saving their club from extinction a few years ago and had no expectations for the season just gone)

spanish flair

Jan 30, 2014
Brighton

Correct. But it also shows good players go where they feel the club is going forward and the manager believes this also and sells that dream, which I believe, the early days at the Amex Poyet did. I don't think either of his two successors completely believed this due to the selling of star players and the replacements brought in, so both resigned.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location

I'm always a little dubious of that kind of comment. Call me cynical, but it smacks of saying something nice about the fans, just to help get them onboard. I think money, being outright 1st choice striker, and the Poyet factor would have been the driving force behind CMS joining. Anything else was fluff.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
I don't think either of his two successors completely believed this due to the selling of star players and the replacements brought in, so both resigned.

Well this is a new one. Hyypia resigned because we sold Ulloa and Buckley ?
I always thought it was because we'd spent a fortune on a bunch of replacements he'd chosen and he couldn't manage to get the team higher than 23rd in the league and he'd simply had enough.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I always thought it was because we'd spent a fortune on a bunch of replacements he'd chosen and he couldn't manage to get the team higher than 23rd in the league and he'd simply had enough.

I thought Hyppia was a disaster but I think that is a bit harsh, I know he was influential in getting Texeira, who was one of the plusses of the season, but how much did he have to do with the other acquisitions?

spanish flair

Jan 30, 2014
Brighton

Well you would think like that, nothing more than I would expect from you. What expensive replacements did Hyppia actually choose himself and are you really going to pretend he did not mind losing players of Ulloa and Buckley's quality and get replacements like COG and who exactly signed full time to replace Buckley?

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
I thought Hyppia was a disaster but I think that is a bit harsh, I know he was influential in getting Texeira, who was one of the plusses of the season, but how much did he have to do with the other acquisitions?

The club say the manager approves every signing.
What this boils down to of course is that the good ones become Gus signings (Ulloa) or Hughton signings (kayal etc) or indeed Hyypia (Teixeria) , the bad ones Burke signings (everyone else ...sometimes players before he even got here), the really bad ones Barber signings and the complete mysteries (Kemy).

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
What this boils down to of course is that the good ones become Gus signings (Ulloa) or Hughton signings (kayal etc) or indeed Hyypia (Teixeria) , the bad ones Burke signings (everyone else ...sometimes players before he even got here), the really bad ones Barber signings and the complete mysteries (Kemy).

Hard to argue with most of that :lolol:

However the manager approving every signing is very different to saying he'd "chosen" them.

spanish flair

Jan 30, 2014
Brighton

Another whitewash post, keep it up the club are proud of you. Do you honestly believe every signing made after Poyet left the manager agreed to?

Uncle C

Jul 6, 2004
Bishops Stortford
Maybe its about the fickle fan base with expectations well above reality and how almost every striker (and many other positions) we have had over the last 10 years has been destroyed by supporters who don't.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
My personal favourite was Walton being a Warren Aspinall signing.
That'll be taking the role of first Albion scout to see the England international a little far.

#anyonebutburker

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
Don't forget that fans were in full bed wetting mode in the summer.

Complaining about the Manager leaving (then the incoming manager) the new kit provider, the advertising for the club (one league, one ambition) about the players we had lost and the players we had left.

They were complaining about the lack of signings and when we finally made a few, they were complaining that the players we were signing arn't good enough for the club and so on.

It wouldn't surprise me if players look at how the fans are (happy or complaining (sometimes unjustly) and take that into consideration before signing?

When we moved to the Amex, the fans were in extasacy about having a new ground and optimistic for the future and every new signing was seem as fantastic (we are moving up in the World, but didn't have the expectations of promotion to the PL yet)

Maybe that possitivity helped them (as it helped Bournemouth who are probably still buzzing after saving their club from extinction a few years ago and had no expectations for the season just gone)

Yep the twelfth man thing off the pitch can also make a difference and we haven’t really recovered from the Gus fiasco. Bournemouth are lucky to have a manager they trust unconditionally.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Maybe its about the fickle fan base with expectations well above reality and how almost every striker (and many other positions) we have had over the last 10 years has been destroyed by supporters who don't.
One thumb up hardly seems adequate so have some more

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Well you would think like that, nothing more than I would expect from you.

Hyypia was given an absolute fortune to spend this summer, had a half decent squad on paper yet ended up with a mere 18 points, only 3 wins, a club rooted at the bottom of the table and a squad who he couldn't get to play
how he wanted. So he resigned. All credit to him for finally handing in the towel. He accepted he couldn't hack it. What other reason is there ?
If it really was that the club sold Ulloa and Buckley from underneath him and Burke (and no doubt Barber as well) was a dirty rotter who inflicted Paddy McCourt on us when Sami was looking the other way then fair enough but honestly i'm hardly going out on a limb here.

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003

Interesting, which strikers ( Barnes aside) have been destroyed by Albion fans? We have only had three decent ones in the last 5 years and Barnes was one of them. I hope you're not suggesting CMS was destroyed by Albion fans, I've never see a player given more leeway by fans in the decades I've been watching them play.

spanish flair

Jan 30, 2014
Brighton
Expectations fueled by the chairman, who every season says we will have a team good enough to reach the play off's, a statement he makes every year.
Not one the fans ask him to make, as am I sure many would accept a statement like, a squad good enough to establish us as a good Championship side would be acceptable. But if the Chairman expects this why should'nt the fans?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here