Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

New deals for Calderon and Casper; CMS + others released

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
I don't think that CMS (when he wasn't injured) ever got the support he needed to carry on his goal scoring exploits at Peterborough. That said, however, I'll never forget a goal line clearance (against Doncaster I think) at the Amex or that superb cross that Leo Ulloa nodded in against Forest in the play offs last season. Given different managers then things might have been very different for him....

He worked under four!

He's just not good enough for the Championship. Even when he went back to Peterborough mid season, he was poor.

Uncle C

Jul 6, 2004
Bishops Stortford
Well maybe he could just stroll around the centre circle, whilst we sort of wave our hands goodbye :shrug:

I have this image of him standing on a Lazy Susan on the centre circle and Calde gently rotating him to the roar of the crowd.

Tubby-McFat-Fuc

May 2, 2013
Brighton
Better than Best. Sheffield United see something in him and have been desperate to sign him. If their style of play suits him I will reserve judgment on how he does next season, which may be in the Championship.
It was the better of to go there now and take part in their playoffs that I said, Seriously?

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
I've heard nothing on any players, but getting KLL on a longer deal protects the club's investment if nothing else.

I can't imagine I'm alone in being disappointed with KLL's contribution of late, and I say that as a longstanding fan. Our whole forward line has been misfiring massively and his two great chances against Wigan, which were both spurned, won't have been missed by Hughton.

I'm not saying he will go, but I think there are very few that Hughton would definitely seek to retain, and he's not one of them.

KLL's decline is bizarre, he was probably one of our best players under Hyppia (not saying much) but since Hughton has arrived he just doesn't look bothered.

Phat Baz 68

Get a ****ing life mate !
Apr 16, 2011
The rest have all been released.

The "rest" have NOT been released !! They all remain except McCourt, Masiamenko, CMS, Augustein and Hughes

Tubby-McFat-Fuc

May 2, 2013
Brighton
He worked under four!

He's just not good enough for the Championship. Even when he went back to Peterborough mid season, he was poor.
He did. And they all prefered a lone striker. Even the man who brought him in, never used him to his strengths. Unfortuantely we will never know how good CMS could have been for us, as he was never played in a style that suited him.

I bet deep down he is kicking himself for falling for Gus' bullshit, and will probably wonder for the rest of his life, "what if" I joined a club that played me in a pair with a target man. I for one will be following the rest of his career with great interest, just a shame at 31, his best years are behind him. Such a waste of a great striker.

RexCathedra

Aurea Mediocritas
Jan 14, 2005
Vacationland
CMS goes out with a BHA career goals-per-game of just about 1 in 5....

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Properly amazing, the number of Brighton fans, who STILL cling to the belief that CMS is a good footballer who has just been 'used wrong', despite the overwhelming evidence to the contrary.

Do these people not have EYES?

Gullflyinghigh

Apr 23, 2012
I was thinking of a wage similar to what Barnes was on before leaving £5k a week take it or leave it. If he goes to Div 1 he will be lucky to earn that. That equates to about £120k max till Jan window then a Div 1 side wouod pay £250k + for him. That was my logic if he succeeded with another striker all ok if not we havent lost much more money, if any.
I sort of see the logic, but if he'd be lucky to earn 5k a week in L1 then you'd be hoping that the 250k offer you're looking for comes from a club willing, or able, to at least match it themselves otherwise why would he go?

Even at a reduced wage that he likely wouldn't accept, there's still a high level of risk there that you'll just end up blocking out a chunk of wage budget for no reason. As an additional potential problem, if he didn't go in the next window, would you then wait for a bigger offer in the next one (to recoup the wages now spent) or cut your losses?

Safest bet all round was to release him.

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
Properly amazing, the number of Brighton fans, who STILL cling to the belief that CMS is a good footballer who has just been 'used wrong', despite the overwhelming evidence to the contrary.

He is different now to how he was before he got injured. Since being injured he has lost pace and confidence on the ball.

Before he got injured he was a good footballer capable of scoring 12 goals in an average Championship season and more in a better/luckier season.

He remains one of my favourite players because he scored some great goals and is clearly an exceptionally good bloke.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England

Oi.

Sure, he can't control the ball, or shoot, or take on a man, or play with his back to goal, or head it.

But, apart from that, he is pretty decent.

Joking aside, I like the bloke. I can't EVER, as a fan, have any sort of grudge/hatred against a player who tries THAT hard. But it just didn't work.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
He is different now to how he was before he got injured. Since being injured he has lost pace and confidence on the ball.

Before he got injured he was a good footballer capable of scoring 12 goals in an average Championship season and more in a better/luckier season.

He remains one of my favourite players because he scored some great goals and is clearly an exceptionally good bloke.

He played 3 full Championship seasons before he got injured, and never scored 12 goals in any of them.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Oi.

Sure, he can't control the ball, or shoot, or take on a man, or play with his back to goal, or head it.

But, apart from that, he is pretty decent.

Joking aside, I like the bloke. I can't EVER, as a fan, have any sort of grudge/hatred against a player who tries THAT hard. But it just didn't work.

Nobody mentioned a grudge. He's clearly a good bloke and a great pro. I'm just glad we don't have to PAY him past the end of this season.

Withdean11

Feb 18, 2007
Brighton/Hyde

In fairness, anyone who can score 35 goals in League 1, must be a fairly good footballer. Not many have matched that. He done okay in his first season with us.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here