Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Albion Roar - 18/04/15 with guest Paul Barber

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Does he ever feel like shouting "why are we even bothering" when faced with a continual barrage of negativity

I imagine he can think of about six hundred and fifty thousand very good reasons (before deductions) to carry on.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Even without the benefit of hindsight does Paul feel all those above the position of manager did everything possible to make Sami's tenure a success?

I'm sure (at least I hope) with hindsight PB could point to x, y, & z being wrong.
But at the time was there an element of 'fingers crossed this works out'.

Recruitment.
Assistant.
Coaching.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I imagine he can think of about six hundred and fifty thousand very good reasons (before deductions) to carry on.
TBH, I'd want considerably more if part of my job was dealing with most of the NSC nimrods that get a stiffy following their reply from PB.

Dear Paul

My hot chocolate was too hot, what are you going to do about it.

Yours

A loyal Albion supporter.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Good show. He's the master of dead batting questions, I sometimes think that Paxman would struggle (I wonder if he's considered politics!)

:thumbsup:

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I listened to the show whilst having an early plod around the streets of Worthing this morning, and it was a great listen. Well played, as ever.

PB is as fantastically polished as ever - he never leaves the briefest pause for thinking time and delivers eloquent and informative responses to everything he is asked.

I think you missed a couple of obvious follow-up questions in the early minutes to really drill down into some detail but my memory is rubbish and I now can't remember what they were!

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
Excellent show. Well done for asking the difficult questions and thanks Al for getting it up so quickly (ooeer!) as a podcast.

Some may not like what he has to say, but his answers always seem sincere and honest, he appears to be as open as he can be and his answers are consistent - I have yet to hear him give a contradictory answer to a question asked in previous sessions.

A show as suggested by Bozza earlier in the thread would be very interesting though.

andy1980

Feb 23, 2009
Next year is the 15th anniversary of Robert Eatons death, It is on a Sunday. I would love to see a two legged REMF match. One leg being at Lewes and the other leg being played by Seagulls down under, in Australia showing everyone that a needless tragedy can unite people the opposite ends of the world.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Great show. Barber came across well as per normal; my highlight being the announced intention to get transfer business done a lot earlier.

HantsSeagull

Aug 17, 2011
Caught in a Riptide
good show as ever. be better though if Al and Ady didn't talk over each other when trying to ask questions.

i also agree with Bozza that PB could have been drilled a bit more on some issues but hey who am I?

Yours

J Paxman

Feb 14, 2010
Mildly interesting interview but dont agree with a few things. Academy buildings are not as important as coaches. Buildings are important to an extent to get the academy 1 status perhaps but football is not a complicated game. Some people can play it others cant. The coach should be able to find a player in a Brighton/ Hastings or Worthing park as easily as he can in a posh training building. Also, kids should not be treated as special until they prove they are special. I worry about giving posh training facilities to players. Pele didnt need them and so neither do Brighton players or youth team players. I think there needs to be a balance and they should be forced to do some training in some park somewhere in our catchment area. The Academy must also start delivering players very soon as there is an ongoing £2 Million cost to it. That is serious money that could be in the transfer budget and they must deliver. I'm sure they will but lets not shy away from telling the academy that if there are no decent premier league standard kids coming through within 2/3 years then they have failed.

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
I'm sure they will but lets not shy away from telling the academy that if there are no decent premier league standard kids coming through within 2/3 years then they have failed.

Short term thinking to the extreme.

Feb 14, 2010
Short term thinking to the extreme.

Not at all, just a requirement that this famed academy start competing with the others around the country. BHA have accepted failure as the norm and refuse to look at itself and ask, why. The staff at the academy have the tools, so no excuses, they must deliver or they have failed.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Terrific show fellas. You challenged Barber well on a range of issues. Fascinating hour.
Its refreshing that the Albion has a weekly programme where you can hold the club to account and players, backroom staff and the board are happy to come on as guests.
Thanks also for the time that you put into this every season.
Its hard work producing and presenting 40/50 radio programmes a season in your spare time. You, and Radio Reverb, deserve a lot of credit for keeping Albion Roar going year after year...

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Terrific show fellas. You challenged Barber well on a range of issues. Fascinating hour.
Its refreshing that the Albion has a weekly programme where you can hold the club to account and players, backroom staff and the board are happy to come on as guests.
Thanks also for the time that you put into this every season.
Its hard work producing and presenting 40/50 radio programmes a season in your spare time. You, and Radio Reverb, deserve a lot of credit for keeping Albion Roar going year after year...

Ta.

I'm just glad we don't support Blackpool, we'd be 20 grand in the red by now.

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
Not at all, just a requirement that this famed academy start competing with the others around the country. BHA have accepted failure as the norm and refuse to look at itself and ask, why. The staff at the academy have the tools, so no excuses, they must deliver or they have failed.

How many clubs develop a player within a two year period to be premier league quality? If anyone says the academy has failed because they have not produced a premier league regular in a two or three year period, then that it their problem. They would be wrong though.
It is nothing to do with accepting failure it is about long term building, getting a lad in at youth level or lower and developing him through the age groups, that takes more than a short period of time.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here