Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Plane gone down in the French Alps?

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
I was talking to the wife about this.

She has a very good friend who is suffering horrendously from depression. To say she is living is stretching the definition a bit. She is on so many pills and she OD 's on them so many times that the doctor won't give her any more than three days at a time so she has to walk down to the doctors to see them. Her arms and legs are covered in cuts where she has self harmed.

She was a lovely woman who had a tragedy in her life that must have flicked a switch in her brain and now she is a shell of the person she was.

She talks about suicide in a matter of fact way and we are sure she has tried on numerous occasions. On one visit, my wife was talking to her about her feelings at her lowest and sh said that she doesn't know anyone or anything and is totally singleminded in her actions. She says when asked about the family she would leave behind, she say " they will be ok without me here" which is a terrible thing to think.

We don't know what went through the mind of this guy, but if she is anything to go by, he would not have had the first thought about anyone on that plane when his depression stepped in as his single minded action was to kill himself and he was in the perfect position to do this.

It is terribly sad all round.

Surely if you suffer from depression and have suicidal thoughts then why on your good days would you not be honest with yourself and retire from a career where you could be putting innocent lives in danger?

Midfield Minton

Dec 18, 2013
There are no real good days and most are an act,only takes on slight thing and they are back to the horrible feelings again,

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Surely if you suffer from depression and have suicidal thoughts then why on your good days would you not be honest with yourself and retire from a career where you could be putting innocent lives in danger?

Which is the rational argument. Unfortunately being rational is not something that mental health has any truck with.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Barcelona knew there was a problem on the plane before it crashed as they could hear what was going on.
They couldn't reveal it to the world's press until the voice recorder had been found, to confirm what they'd heard.
On Radio 2, I heard one person say the French had launched two Mirage planes, but they couldn't help in this scenario.

Havent followed it that closely so wasnt aware of that but it seems quite logical, once it is airborne you are in the hands of the pilot/ co pilot.

jonny.rainbow

Oct 29, 2005
Originally Posted by Justice said:

Which is the rational argument. Unfortunately being rational is not something that mental health has any truck with.

You are describing the actions of a psychopath, not someone suffering from depression.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
You are describing the actions of a psychopath, not someone suffering from depression.

But according to the police he had a set of sick notes from the doctor signing him off for depression!

Having said that, his girlfriend just said on german tv that he said the world would know his name one day....sounds a bit like the guy who shot john Lennon!

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Show some respect and stop with the antagonism. Shit stirring has no place for a thread like this.

You should be ashamed. There should be no excuse for your actions, especially as you're a Mod.
I'm all prepped and ready to have a go at Edna. But what has she actually said wrong? There were a couple of posts alluding to a conspiracy theory and Edna asked where our usual conspiracy theorists were. Hardly laughing at the victims.

Danny-Boy

Banned
Apr 21, 2009
The Coast
As I understand it the axe is kept secure INSIDE the cockpit so this security source doesn't know what he's talking about, although he may have been attempting to kick it or ram the door using a trolley and hand luggage (with the help of air crew and passengers ). If the axe is accessible outside the cockpit then it offers any hijacker a potential weapon, which, when knifes, sharps and guns are all banned, would be counter-productive.

Have read what is in "the Times" this morning. Wouldn't it be logical to make the cockpit area a complete separate unit i.e. with its own toilet facilities? Surely that could be done with no loss of integrity to the plane's fabric. Then it would not be necessary for crews to leave the cockpit area.

And BALPA and all the Pilots Associations are being crazy themselves to suggest that present monitoring and self-assessment are enough. Although it was stated that only 8 incidents in commercial flying history can be pinned down to suicides I suspect that many other plane disappearances apart from MH370 could also be put down to this cause if we knew more.

Megazone

On his last warning
Jan 28, 2015
Northern Hemisphere.
I'm all prepped and ready to have a go at Edna. But what has she actually said wrong? There were a couple of posts alluding to a conspiracy theory and Edna asked where our usual conspiracy theorists were. Hardly laughing at the victims.

Whenever there's a conspiracy on NSC, there's a binfest. Edna obviously knows this outcome. She's clearly trying to entice another binfest only hours after the crash occurred. Very bizarre.

The word 'nutjob' get's heavily used whenever someone mentions a conspiracy on this forum. The moderator should know better considering the nature of this tragedy.

herecomesaregular

We're in the pipe, 5 by 5
Oct 27, 2008
Still in Brighton
There are no real good days and most are an act,only takes on slight thing and they are back to the horrible feelings again,

Absolutely don't agree with this, personally - have worked in mental health for most of my life and imho there are still good moments, even days, no one is 100% clinically depressed 100% of the time it is, imo again, impossible. Everyone's mental health fluctuates (upwards I mean), even those with massively severe and enduring health problems.

edit - just to add to my comment - this is what saddens me most about suicide: that I believe that if the person can get the right support at the time(s) they need, then suicidal feelings will always pass (imo again).

Last edited:

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Whenever there's a conspiracy on NSC, there's a binfest. Edna obviously knows this outcome and is trying to entice another binfest only hours after the crash occurred.
That is an assumption, and I think you're wrong. I don't think Edna wants there to be a binfest. My guess (also an assumption, but then I'm not going to make wild allegations) is that Edna was dreading the inevitable conspiracy theory nonsense that we get when tragedies happen, and nothing more. I'm sure Edna can correct me if I'm wrong.

The word 'nutjob' get's heavily used whenever someone mentions a conspiracy on this forum.
What's that got to do with this tragedy?

Danny-Boy

Banned
Apr 21, 2009
The Coast
Having spent some time working in Germany and also alongside German students, I have to say that Lubitz fits a type. Extremely conscientious (look how he steered the plane so gently down, that the passengers themselves didn't raise the alarm) and utterly efficient.

He had probably decided himself that the cockpit regulations were lax and opted himself to demonstrate what the weakness in the system was. Interesting that the "Times" report nots that his language became "curt" shortly before the pilot took his leave. Was there any bad feeling between them? A happily married older man and a younger single probable obsessive with flying, that spells a number of potential personal differences.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here