Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Top Gear's Clarkson suspended by BBC

surrey jim

Not in Surrey
Aug 2, 2005
Bevendean
"the victim" has apparently not made a complaint, so I assume someone else who witnessed it has made the complaint.

For those saying they would be sacked if they thumped someone:
1. According to Clarkson and May he hasn't hit anyone, but threw a punch.
2. I've worked in places where fights have happened and people haven't been sacked, disciplinary, but not sacked. I appreciate on the totting up process Clarkson may have used up his lives.

Ashley Cole shot someone with an air-rifle and got a fine! John Hartson kicked someone in the head, and was fined.

According to James May he was blind drunk he had no idea what happened. Video of interview <http://www.independent.co.uk/news/p...-james-may-calls-presenter-a-kb-10101916.html>

Jul 24, 2003
Newbury, Berkshire.
BBC a Good Organisation !. They Can't even organise hot food after a day's filming..

I say the 3 of them should ditch the shithole that is the BBC, Let them try to survive on show there pathetic Game shows, Talent ahows, And juvenile soaps!.
and find a better Broadcaster!.

That's exactly what the 'Old Top Gear' presenters did when they started 5th Gear on Channel 5.

Those 3 will NEVER have the budget or freedom they currently have with the Beeb if they went to a commercial broadcaster (as has already been said).

If Clarkson had a 3 hour break in the pub, why didn't he use it to get some food inside him?

HawkTheSeagull

Jan 31, 2012
Eastbourne
Those 3 will NEVER have the budget or freedom they currently have with the Beeb if they went to a commercial broadcaster (as has already been said).

Think your wrong there. If anything Sky, ITV etc would throw money at it and pay them more than the BBC, especially since the BBC wants to make cuts.

Private broadcasters will have more money to throw at it, and with a 350 Million worldwide audience it can be justified.

Jul 24, 2003
Newbury, Berkshire.
Think your wrong there. If anything Sky, ITV etc would throw money at it and pay them more than the BBC, especially since the BBC wants to make cuts.

Private broadcasters will have more money to throw at it, and with a 350 Million worldwide audience it can be justified.

ONLY if they tow the advertisers party line. It will be ' Mr Clarkson, you WILL be plugging the Dascia Duster, whether you think it's a good car or not'.

Eurostar or the budget airlines won't be too pleased if they are portrayed as antiquated, outmoded, and slow forms of transport.

Then of course there's the fact that the programme will be interrupted by more adverts than a Champions League fixture.

Personally I don't give a stuff about what channel funds it. Getting it off the beeb will leave money available to them to make something better. ITV don't need the show anyway, they've already got one ( see my 5th Gear point ).

SAC

May 21, 2014
Clarkson has previously said that Top Gear could only be done on a non commercial channel as all the commercial ones wouldn't want them slagging off potential advertisers.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
ONLY if they tow the advertisers party line..

as i understand, thats not how it works. they (Clarkson and co probably) would have a production company that makes a programme, and they sell it on under contract to the channel. something such as TopGear Redux would have the clout to do what they want, because the advertising over a global market is worth more than individual deals as you might suggest. advertisers perfer viewers to a bit of negativity (though probably not a panning) so wouldnt be too fussed by a Clarkson comment on them a few minutes before an ad.

the worlds grown up, i read many online outlets that will slate companies and product, while their adverts appear alongside. if the market is there, they will still advertise to that market.

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy

You haven't got a clue have you - The reason the BBC is able to produce fantastic programmes that are impartial and can openly question corporations is precisely because it doesn't have to answer to commercial backers - You would be very sadly disappointed by how much Clarkson et al would have to rein in their behaviour and how much they would would be showcasing the Honda Jazz in a commercial environment.

The right despises the BBC on ideological grounds, (how on earth can we have a successful non-commerial entity!!!), but the reality is that the BBC is a global success, and something the country can be 'proud' of.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
A complete muppet who has finished 3rd at Le Mans.

Being a great driver doesn't mean you aren't a very dull commentator/pundit though. Loves himself much too much and has a crap sense of humour, he was rightly dumped when Top Gear was revamped, along with Quentin Wilson.

matthew

Sep 20, 2009
Ovingdean, United Kingdom
Nearly a million people have signed that petition now, I actually think the BBC have no choice but to keep the man.

He's 4/6 to present an episode of top gear again in series 23 with William Hill

Be shocked if he doesn't.

Last edited:

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
Nearly a million people have signed that petition now, I actually think the BBC have no choice but to keep the man.

He's 4/6 to present an episode of top gear again in series 23 with William Hill

Be shocked if he doesn't.

But if they do keep him and next week another member of staff has a dust-up with a colleague, then where do the BBC stand?

Let's assume for sake of argument that Clarkson has punched this bloke, does it mean that punching the canteen staff because they've run out of chips is ok at the BBC?

D

Deleted member 22389

I like Clarkson. How do I unsubscribe from the BBC? I have been on the website and can't find a cancellation number

Jul 24, 2003
Newbury, Berkshire.
I like Clarkson. How do I unsubscribe from the BBC? I have been on the website and can't find a cancellation number

Simples, you sell your TV set.......... ( and just watch catch up services on the internet ).

Even then though, you know you'll be turning on Five Live in the very near future.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here