Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Going to New York

seagull 1979

Praying for points
Aug 29, 2011
Bicester
On places to eat, depending on how foodie you are and how much you want to spend these guy's restaurants should have it all and both are worth a Google ...
Restauranter 1
Danny Mayer is the guy who bought shake shack to the UK and the original in Madison Square Gardens is worth a visit but get the 15min before opening to avoid the long lines and slightly more upmarket is Union Square Cafe, I think its been in the top 20 NY restaurants for 20 years..
Restraunter 2 is
Joe Bastianich you must go to Eataly (it opposite Shake Shack)... It's mind blowing and in it's first year of trading took 100 million USD! Also worth a try is Esca.

smillie's garden

Am I evil?
Aug 11, 2003
Would echo a lot of the suggestions, especially High Line and cruise around Manhattan (Circle Line). The Tenement Museum on Lower East Side is really interesting, and don't forget to stroll around Brooklyn's Prospect Park if you have time; the architecture of Olmsted and Vaux is very impressive.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I stayed here in December. It was ace http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotel_...er_Hotel_New_York-New_York_City_New_York.html

Another vote for the High Line. Free, and a lovely way to while away an hour or two, and if you walk from north to south, you end up near Greenwich Village, which is nice to wander around afterwards. There's a massive apartment block down the southern end which has floor to ceiling windows. A fact which had possibly escaped the naked lady on the twelfth floor who appeared to be posing for some sort of photoshoot on the day I was there :ohmy:

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex
As a Manhattan resident I would agree with many of the above.

My own top picks would be as follows:-

Food - Katz's on Houston (the "I'll have what she's having" place) or PJ Clarke's on 55th and 3rd (best burgers in NYC). Also a fan of Danny Meyer - my favourite is Blue Smoke.

9/11 Museum is an absolute must.

South St Seaport just south of Brooklyn Bridge - closest thing to waterfront drinking and dining in NYC.

If its the summer def go to Yankee Stadium for a game (football as well now New York City FC are playing there). If you are going after October - the absolute best sporting experience you could ever have is a Rangers game at MSG.

And just walk around as much of Central Park as you can. Riverside park on the Upper West Side is also fantastic for a summer evening stroll.

I could go on...

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
If its the summer def go to Yankee Stadium for a game (football as well now New York City FC are playing there). If you are going after October - the absolute best sporting experience you could ever have is a Rangers game at MSG.

I could go on...

I've never been in baseball season so have always missed out on the games, but I did go to the NYY Steak place :) Yeah, I realise it's probably like going to a Man United themed restaurant here, but my god, the steak was epic, and I'm not usually much of a red meat eater.

Rabeen

Jul 11, 2003
Worthing
We've been back a week. First time to the city and loved every (freezing) second of it!

We did as much as we could in the three full days we were there:

Walk. And then continue to walk, it seemed like there was so much to see, everywhere.

We used Airbnb and ended up in a lovely apartment in East Harlem which was noisy and vibrant regardless of the cold and then the snow last Saturday.

A visit to Ground Zero and the memorial was astonishing. We found Robert Eaton's name when we came out and paid our respects, the museum itself is haunting yet a very moving tribute. A walk across Brooklyn Bridge gives you the eye popping view of the city we all crave but we also got a great view using the Staten Island Ferry - just to catch a glimpse of Liberty herself without taking the full visit.

We stumbled upon the Highline as we were in the meatpacking district another reason and it was good to see although I imagine the spring and summer are better as everything will be in bloom. We then had the most fantastic meal at a place called Bubby's which was packed and served incredible food - 'all today's burgers come from the one cow'.

Central park, covered in snow was breath taking. Ice hockey was my only miss as we just couldn't get the tickets we wanted for the price we could afford - a good excuse to visit again!

Have a great time. You probably can't go wrong with everything that's already been said.

Tarpon

Sep 12, 2013
BN1
Exactly that, yes.

I'm making progress - as of yesterday morning I now have somewhere to stay at Heathrow on Friday night and somewhere to park the car whilst away.

Not flying Norwegian from Gatwick then?

Anyone on here flown budget transatlantic yet?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here