Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Travel subsidy [NOT] being scrapped for next season?

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
i find it very improbable that they would communicate such a change this far in advance, as others have noted. that makes it more likely arse talk.

theres a nice arrangement at the moment, though expensive for the club. there's little hope the rail could effectivly enforce rail tickets, like most away days ive been to the barriers would all be open at Brighton/falmer. the extra enforcement cost with reduced revenue would encourage the rail company to come to some arrangment with the club if they are keen to drop the total bill.

on the value to the fan, my reckoning is that its about £1.60 per person/game going by the £1m cost being mentioned. if it did go, dont expect significant drop in ticket price.

Last edited:

reigate

Nov 10, 2005
Over a million still

I reckon they have signed a pretty crap contact with the travel companies then.

A return from Shoreham (furthest from west you can travel) cost £3.35 (with railcard which most will have?). Based on the £50 supplement, I contribute £2.17 a game, so a £1.18shortfall . This is £27.14 a season, so £687k a season based on ave 25000 attendance's

Given that many don't use the transport, only travel from Brighton or already have rail season tickets, the figures don't seem to stack up?

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
That would make logistical sense as it is very difficult to control. Personally it makes no difference to me being an OAP and having a bus pass.

Not at all. Indeed a STH mate of mine has an OAP pass and he's always objected to have to pay for the subsidy. I try not to point out who's actually paying for his OAP pass !

sully

Dunscouting
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Travel subsidy being scrapped for next season?

That would make logistical sense as it is very difficult to control. Personally it makes no difference to me being an OAP and having a bus pass.

It also wouldn't make much difference to ticket prices, as a ticket to Falmer is generally the same as one to Brighton (or near enough) if you travel from the East or North. Certainly no difference for away supporters.

Actually, I decided to check my facts and its £1.40 more to Falmer than Brighton from Hassocks (based on timings for Tuesday evening's game), so I am wrong :down:

Last edited:

Westdene Seagull

NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003

A return from Shoreham (furthest from west you can travel) cost £3.35 (with railcard which most will have?). Based on the £50 supplement, I contribute £2.17 a game, so a £1.18shortfall . This is £27.14 a season, so £687k a season based on ave 25000 attendance's

Given that many don't use the transport, only travel from Brighton or already have rail season tickets, the figures don't seem to stack up?

You've forgotten the retainers they have to pay to the travel companies, the P&R buses and indeed that the standard return on B&H buses costs £4.80. Not to mention the charges the council make for Mill Road being closed and the costs of the other P&R sites. Oh, and many won't actually have a railcard.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
. I try not to point out who's actually paying for his OAP pass ![/QUOTE]

That is irrelevant as I use buses everyday of the week including some Saturdays for games to get to a pub in Lewes On the 166 from Haywards Heath.

Last edited:

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
Another element of the travel subsidy is also the coaches. I could be wrong but I think they are heavily subsidised

I reckon on about 30 coaches a game so up to about 2000 supporters, which could impact a lot on numbers if their costs went up as much as I think they could with withdrawal of subsidy

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
I cycle to most games now, so not paying the subsidy would work for me. Personally, I think that the losses the club makes on the scheme aren't justifiable. I think they should negotiate with Southern Rail to accept tickets between Brighton and Falmer, and Lewes and Falmer. Realistically, it wouldn't be possible for the stations to ticket check every person, so the club don't really even need to pay them anything - they could leave it for Southern to police, but I don't think there's any value in risking the relationship with them, the club need to keep them onside. The buses are a different story, I don't see why they shouldn't pass on the cost of the service to the consumer. If you choose to use the P&R, there should be a fee involved. Maybe B&H buses could take ownership of that part themselves and charge a flat flat rate to and from the ground, a cheeky £3 return or something similar - or free for anyone with a Saver ticket.

virtual22

Nov 30, 2010
Would be the nail in the coffin for me unless ST prices were reduced accordingly. Me and 2 kids at the current cost of a B&H bus return will put, I am guessing, around an extra £160 a year onto the price of our tickets. I think we'd just do a few select games each year. Will miss it but everything has a price limit and the kids seem to enjoy going to watch Burgess Hill quite a bit so would probably go there a bit more.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
I cycle to most games now, so not paying the subsidy would work for me. Personally, I think that the losses the club makes on the scheme aren't justifiable. .

The club would argue that the new bike lanes, cycle sheds, lighting, security etc for cyclists have been paid for by the subsidy.

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton

£6.80 return from Burgess Hill or Haywards Heath.

Westdene Seagull

NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
That is irrelevant as I use buses everyday of the week including some Saturdays for games to get to a pub in Lewes On the 166 from Haywards Heath.

It's not irrelevant - he complains that he has to subsidise other people traveling to the football because he doesn't need the 'free' transport from the club. Yet his, and your, OAP bus pass is paid for by the taxpayer - many of whom don't use the buses or need to.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Travel subsidy being scrapped for next season?

If anyone on here knew what the club would argue I am sure you would.

Ha!

That's because Paul barber wrote something similar on here in November and I just looked it up. I've no idea if it that makes it worthwhile for cyclists or not. I come by train.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here