Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Kraftwerk - More influential than the Beatles?

More influential than The Beatles?

• Ja

Votes: 37 23.9%
  • Nein

Votes: 118 76.1%

• Total voters

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Completely agree, cannot abide Paul Morley and he spoiled the programme. As to levels of influence - I'm not sure it really matters and is it just direct musical influence we're taliking here anyway?

You're right, it doesn't really matter but I find it an interesting debate. And influence can mean music or much much wider...you decide.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
You could say Kraftwerk DIRECTLY influenced more bands. Whereas The Beatles INDIRECTLY influenced far, far, far more bands.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
As an aside, isn't that performance of Pocket Calculator near the end just brilliantly bonkers?

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Silly argument. Leonard Cohen's songwriting pisses all over anything the Beatles could ever write but does that make him necessarily more influential than the Beatles? Look how influential the Sex Pistols were and their songwriting was atrocious. You've got to look at everything the bands bring to the table - the image, the musical style, the time and place they were at their prime, what the music scene was like when they came to prominence and the bands and musical movements that came after.

You're confusing who you think are the better band with who were the most influential. Songwriting plays a small part in this.

Edit - I'm on the fence with this. It's like comparing oranges with apples.

Don't get me started on Cohen, I don't get it and never will, tragically for me.:thumbsup:

But, getting back to the original point, I still don't think Kraftwerk were more influential then The Beatles, it's hardly Apples and Pears, more Date's and Raspberries.

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing
Silly comparison Beatles the most influential band of all time influencing bands writing and playing traditional instruments while Kraftwork were an intresting band who influanced a Gary Newman and a few others

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
The Beatles were responsible for the creation of The Monkees.

Green Man

Dec 22, 2014
BN2
Hi to anyone who hasn't yet come across me on the live music thread.

There's certainly a strong case for saying Kraftwerk (just to make it clear, I love 'em too) are more influential on the sound of contemporary music, and surely that's what Morley was getting at in his provocative way. Whether that influence is entirely benign is something you might question, considering the amount of machine-generated drivel there is around.

FWIW I thought the premise of the programme was pretty irritating. I'm far from averse to a bit of cultural commentary, but when people are so desperate to legitimise some element of popular culture by claiming it as art, my response is pretty much 'So what?'

In the history of music, two bands stand out. Two changed the course of music more than any others. Two major influences that changed the course of music history.

Bill Hayley and the Comets invented - or at least poularised - rock and roll.

And the Beatles gave kids their own music; up until them kids listened to a slightly updated version of the music their Mum's and Dad's liked.

Mind you, Ben Nevis and the Summits were pretty good too.

Last edited:

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Kraftwerk were a massive influence to the Detroit guys who started Techno music
The biggest influence on Techno music was synthesisers (and drum machines, and later, sampling devices) becoming user friendly and commercially available.

Last edited:

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Can see the point Kraft started a real change in music type..

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
The biggest influence on Techno music was synthesisers (and drum machines, and later, sampling devices) becoming user friendly and commercially available.

This and black kids getting fed up with Motown.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here