Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Leon best [signs on a half-year loan]

El Turi

Injured
Aug 13, 2005
Argentina
The most disappointing thing for me is it's yet another loan signing. It is rare for a successful team to be built on a lot of loan signings and you would have thought the board would have seen how using the loan system during the first half of the season did not work at all.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Like when we signed Johnny Dixon, Gifton Noel-Williams, Graham Barrett and Sam Williams, you mean?

Graham Barrett came highly rated I'll have you know! Gifton Noel Williams was pretty damn good in comparison to what we already had.

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
Why when we are struggling for goals are we signing another striker who doesn't score a lot. The only way this would make sense is if Hughton believes Best is the man to unlock the scoring potential shown by Baldock in League 1. Otherwise this seems utterly pointless.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Harry got Portsmouth promoted on loans, granted it went pear shaped the next year but it is possible to get promoted with loans. Just as an example add Steve Sidwell and Carlton Cole to our existing loanees and see the difference.

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton
I like how our "transfer strategy" is being summed up already. One, pretty decent signing to replace a seemingly outgoing striker of similar/less ability.

Keep your knickers on everyone.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I like how our "transfer strategy" is being summed up already. One, pretty decent signing to replace a seemingly outgoing striker of similar/less ability.

You're right we need to lower our expectations dramatically, if we don't we'll end up disappointed...again.

Expecting us to sign players on a contract of a similar ilk to those Bournemouth seem to sign at will is unreasonable for a club like ours.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003

Good point that it is too early to say for sure, but it very much looks like bargain bucket again, I'm afraid...

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
You're right we need to lower our expectations dramatically, if we don't we'll end up disappointed...again.

Expecting is to sign players on a contract of a similar ilk to those Bournemouth seem to sign at will is unreasonable for a club like ours.

The contrast is stark, sadly...

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
moan moan moan again!!! does anybody think hes not gonna do better than what we already have! if he finds his form he could be blinding for us.

Why is he suddenly going to become lethal then, oh wise one?

James Bond's body double

Nov 1, 2009
Southwick
Good point that it is too early to say for sure, but it very much looks like bargain bucket again, I'm afraid...

Lets just ensure we stay up if that's cheap and nasty who cares, hopefully we will start to shop for the summer window sooner so come next window we know who we want and get em in early. Well here's hoping!!!

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Graham Barrett came highly rated I'll have you know! Gifton Noel Williams was pretty damn good in comparison to what we already had.

Yep, I'll give you GNW, who did OK for us. But the others were terrible, Barrett in particular. Just another in a long line of players who you think "How on EARTH did he ever get a contract at Arsenal?" (see also O'Cearuill, Joe; Hoyte, Gavin; Gislason, Valur etc).

Lethargic

Oct 11, 2006
Horsham
I really get the impression that we will not see any "big" signing for the forseeable future, the club is putting all its eggs in the youth development side for the future, any permanent signings will be either bargain basements or ones for the future. Other than that I think we will be using the loan system to the full - and I hate loans!

And as for Leon Best totally uninspirational this is a player that cannot get in the Blackburn team when they might offload Gestede and was sent home from Derby for being crap.

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford

I'm not summing anything up but I can't deny I'm totally confused. I've watched COG all season and he has looked useful ... strong, got good control and can pick out his man ... not a bad shot either. But he got no chance under Hypia, eratic game time and often played out wide. But he's given a bit of a chance this past 4 games and he's shown that he has got something.

Speculation is he wants away (my thinking is why not when he's not being given a chance) but I haven't seen anything saying he's put in a request

Now it seems like we are dumping him for a like for like player who has had opportunities but from what I can see has done pretty well nothing since his days at Coventry

Just bloody confusing, no more than that

daveyboy1973

Feb 5, 2010
bexleyheath
Why is he suddenly going to become lethal then, oh wise one?

i put if!!!!! if cms cant put that chance in from six yards then hes never gonna score another goal, ogrady as we all know is on his way, and baldock is never gonna score playing on the wing!! im saying give the bloke a chance!!!

martin tyler

Jan 25, 2013
TBH as long as he does not wack it straight at a goalkeeper or player when totally unmarked in the 6 yard box then he is an improvement on what we already have. Who knows he may work here he may not but let's give him 5 minutes on the pitch before we all write him off as being totally useless and not good enough to tie the laces of the current forwards.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
I really get the impression that we will not see any "big" signing for the forseeable future, the club is putting all its eggs in the youth development side for the future, any permanent signings will be either bargain basements or ones for the future. Other than that I think we will be using the loan system to the full - and I hate loans!

And as for Leon Best totally uninspirational this is a player that cannot get in the Blackburn team when they might offload Gestede and was sent home from Derby for being crap.
But have we got any really decent strikers coming through the youth setup ?

Prettyboyshaw

Feb 20, 2004
Saltdean
Will be hit a combined total of 15 goals from the half a dozen strikers we had / have this season. Pathetic.

This season has been so ****ing dull for the first time in a long time I'm going to have to drag myself to the game tomorrow,

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
Unbelievable. He's awful. I'd much rather have O'Grady. What a terrible window this has been so far, I'm sure Bloom said we'd be strengthening?
So far, we've lost Bent and Gardner, kept Halford and look to replace one big striker with another one. I wouldn't say it's that bad yet. Very little tends to happen before the last few days anyway.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here