Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Film] Film 2015

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
A friend of mine at work is a Marvel aficionado, telling me he'd seen Avengers 2 twice already, the second time more enjoyably thanks to having a fuller understanding of the Marvel universe pasts and futures mentioned. Well, i saw it tonight and won't be going again. It was alright and vastly explosive and i'll be glad not to see Iron Man again, but it seemed to lack wit and great charm in the core of its endless spectacle, the one-liners weak for a Whedon show.

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
I'm quite a fan of Thomas Vinterberg, particularly for his last fare, The Hunt, a cracking film. So i went to Far from a Madding Crowd in search of a different and perhaps gritty take on the Thomas Hardy classic, but, boy, this was an incredibly standard, and really quite corny, version. I haven't seen the 3 hour adaptation from the late 60s, but sort of want to now to see if it felt fuller, as this one, for all the emotion it wanted to drown you in with incessant music, seemed rushed in places and making the supposed romance rather unbelievable.
In the review i'd read, there was mention of the accent of Matthias Schoenarts, meant to be a burly shepherd from Dorset but unable to avoid elements of his Belgianness when he tenderly spoke. Also that Carey Mulligan very much carried the film. But i disagreed a bit with both. Ok he didn't sound in the slightest oooarrghish or that he was from them there parts, but there's something in his face that makes him really quite watchable - he so often plays these quietly brooding types with quite a bit going on beneath the surface, and does so with aplomb - so his origins to me weren't crying to be analysed. And in terms of Mulligan, she was good enough, although annoying in a number of moments and party to the corniest bit of the film when she goes into song and tinkling on the ivories in perfect harmony a mere second or after claiming she had no voice, before one of her potential lovers in the guise of a painfully unwinning Michael Sheen joins her, but Schoenaerts, for all the cliches in his role, seemed more intriguing.

It seemed unVinterbergy. Prettily shot, but unchallenging. And the music wouldn't shut itself up.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Mad Max Fury Road. Utter non stop insane bonkers and GENIUS.
And those that know me , I made the cut, keep an eye out for Nibs.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location

2c6665ce1c8884ec2a5b8c8190176ec9.jpg

Seems like its worth a look...

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
I've never seen Nibble looking so hot!!!

You will.
It's a seriously good film if you like non stop action. The stunts are amazing and it just looks great cos it's all practical stuff, very little cgi. Charlize Theron is the star but Hardy is good as Max. Disengage brain and get to a cinema.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing

You are not in the cast list but I see Nathan Jones is

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Am just back from Mad Max and i didn't know to look out for Nibs, or even what he looks like to attempt to spot him anyhow. A shame. Unless, of course, you were the chained to the front of the monster hog heavy metal guitarist whose every brief appearance was hilarious? If so, top marks.
What a film though. Or what a spectacle, really. Visually amazing and brilliantly confused. The cinematography was boldly intense and the editing team must have had fun trying to tie together the near endless action and chaos and half-mad mutterings. One of those films that you imagine the shocked and slightly horrified facial expressions of those who funded the $100m or more to make it. I hope it makes some big bucks though and should do. Some monstrous, twisted, all-action fun.

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010
Am just back from Mad Max and i didn't know to look out for Nibs, or even what he looks like to attempt to spot him anyhow. A shame. Unless, of course, you were the chained to the front of the monster hog heavy metal guitarist whose every brief appearance was hilarious? If so, top marks.
What a film though. Or what a spectacle, really. Visually amazing and brilliantly confused. The cinematography was boldly intense and the editing team must have had fun trying to tie together the near endless action and chaos and half-mad mutterings. One of those films that you imagine the shocked and slightly horrified facial expressions of those who funded the $100m or more to make it. I hope it makes some big bucks though and should do. Some monstrous, twisted, all-action fun.

My wife and boy walked out after 10 mins!

Bombadier Botty

Complete Twaddle
Jun 2, 2008

Well you sure went beyond the thunderdome and way beyond the call of duty to bring us that 'cheeky' little review MB. You'll be dusting your butt crack for sand for weeks to come I shouldn't wager. Top post-apocalyptic bombing.

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Am back this evening from an awful film. Francois Ozon has the ability to make some really quite good films with 5x2 and In The House, but also can make some of the most painfully irritating tripe. 8 Women i recall seeing on a free preview many many moons ago and hating almost every minute of it. Well, he's done it again with The New Girlfriend, worse in ways for being a tale based on a Ruth Rendell novel and turning it into a suspenseless thriller, with horrendous and outdated comedicness to it. I sensed a homage/piss-take to Vertigo, with seemingly ordinary people going to unearthed before extremes of their character and music reminiscent of Bernard Herrmann dotted around the place, but it did it terribly, becoming incorrectly laughable the longer it went on.
I've not disliked something constantly for quite a while. There. Bobbins.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Am back this evening from an awful film. Francois Ozon has the ability to make some really quite good films with 5x2 and In The House, but also can make some of the most painfully irritating tripe. 8 Women i recall seeing on a free preview many many moons ago and hating almost every minute of it. Well, he's done it again with The New Girlfriend, worse in ways for being a tale based on a Ruth Rendell novel and turning it into a suspenseless thriller, with horrendous and outdated comedicness to it. I sensed a homage/piss-take to Vertigo, with seemingly ordinary people going to unearthed before extremes of their character and music reminiscent of Bernard Herrmann dotted around the place, but it did it terribly, becoming incorrectly laughable the longer it went on.
I've not disliked something constantly for quite a while. There. Bobbins.

Have you ever enjoyed a film in your life ? I don't get it subjecting yourself to such an ordeal time after time. The best I think I have ever seen is it is " ok " , that must be a work of genius. I can say that almost without exception, every single review you do is negative

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Have you ever enjoyed a film in your life ? I don't get it subjecting yourself to such an ordeal time after time. The best I think I have ever seen is it is " ok " , that must be a work of genius. I can say that almost without exception, every single review you do is negative

I have to disagree there. I've seen a handful of films purely on the positive recommendation of MB's reviews.

piersa

Apr 17, 2011
London
Saw "Skeleton Twins" Slow to start but gets pretty good. Worth the watch. 7/10

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
I have to disagree there. I've seen a handful of films purely on the positive recommendation of MB's reviews.

I haven't. It seems he hates 9 out of 10 films he see's. I with respect think he needs to find a new Hobby

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
I haven't. It seems he hates 9 out of 10 films he see's. I with respect think he needs to find a new Hobby

Oh, I think we have different experiences of MB's reviews. I've always found them largely positive. Oh well.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here