Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Will the Queen Abdicate?

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Is this another TB analogy?

No, but I think with her Teutonic roots, she must have some sort of in-built footballing pedigree which could usefully be channelled. She's used to heading up a large, unwieldy, expensive organisation which attracts affectionate support, but which also faces vocal opposition at times. Plus she was also homeless after the Windsor Castle fire a few years back, so she can entirely empathise with our position.

I suspect she's lining herself up to replace Sami when the time comes (and, if she wants it to come, it will). Smart woman.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Unless she does abdicate Charles, who will be known as King George VII as a tribute to her father, will be too old to to start being king surely.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Unless she does abdicate Charles, who will be known as King George VII as a tribute to her father, will be too old to to start being king surely.

How old is too old? He's only 66. Edward VII had to wait until Victoria died, so only ruled for 10 years.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003

You're talking about a country which has previously had a nine month old boy as King, therefore I'm pretty sure a man in his sixties will be viewed as more or less eligible.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
It's a genius bit of PR, probably one of the best all year. All you have to do is say you've stopped taking bets on something like that, and you get your company name everywhere. You're not saying anything about the truth or otherwise of the story, everyone else can speculate about that.

I did say as much to one of the Coral PRs today but she was still claiming they did actually have some bets on the Queen abdicating. I guess we'll never know how many... (my guess is three maximum, if any).

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003

supaseagull

Feb 19, 2004
The United Kingdom of Mile Oak
Yep, the end is nigh for the royal family. The Monarchy will probably not exist in 20 years time. The Queen's abdication will be the extravagant proverbial nail in the coffin.

Even as someone who is apathetic toward the monarchy, I can't agree with you here.

The royal family is the most popular it has been for decades.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Off with her head

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
It's a genius bit of PR, probably one of the best all year. All you have to do is say you've stopped taking bets on something like that, and you get your company name everywhere. You're not saying anything about the truth or otherwise of the story, everyone else can speculate about that.

I did say as much to one of the Coral PRs today but she was still claiming they did actually have some bets on the Queen abdicating. I guess we'll never know how many... (my guess is three maximum, if any).

Quite. We all know her speech is broadly the same each year. Anybody for a game of Queens Speech Bingo at 3pm on Christmas Day?

I'm going for:

-Some sort of First World War anniversary reference
-A linked reference to British & Commonwealth troops being withdrawn from Afghanistan
-Her interest in the approach to and outcome of the Scottish independence referendum
-Something about the Commonwealth Games
-Conflicts around the world (Russia, Ukraine, Syria etc)
-Ebola, particularly it's impact on Commonwealth countries
-Malaysian Airlines
-The sadness of a couple of famous deaths
-The impending joy of William & Kate's new baby in 2015
-Some standard praying for us all

Bosh. Speech done.

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton

A year or so that cut the price of Long Run for the Gold Cup antepost claiming they had taken some "substantial bets". When pressed it turns out it the biggest were a 3er and 2er and only about a bag in total. CHICKENSHIT. BULLSHIT

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
Off with her head
mQB6Vpn5YvVWq.jpg.gif

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
Quite. We all know her speech is broadly the same each year. Anybody for a game of Queens Speech Bingo at 3pm on Christmas Day?

I'm going for:

-Some sort of First World War anniversary reference
-A linked reference to British & Commonwealth troops being withdrawn from Afghanistan
-Her interest in the approach to and outcome of the Scottish independence referendum
-Something about the Commonwealth Games
-Conflicts around the world (Russia, Ukraine, Syria etc)
-Ebola, particularly it's impact on Commonwealth countries
-Malaysian Airlines
-The sadness of a couple of famous deaths
-The impending joy of William & Kate's new baby in 2015
-Some standard praying for us all

Bosh. Speech done.

http://www.oddschecker.com/christmas/queens-speech/to-say-at-anytime :moo:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here