Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Gullys Girls

The Oldman

I like the Hat
NSC Patron
Jul 12, 2003
In the shadow of Seaford Head
But the club want a good atmosphere so get those in the stands going with something Those who stay in the concourses until the last minute would like to walk to their seats with the ground buzzing, surely?

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Not sure this is the main reason they were binned - although certainly a fair point to make.

I remember reading Barber's programme notes on this. He got rid of them because they encouraged un PC behaviour among certain fans - it was one of those patronising diatribes he has a habit of writing sometimes. Certainly they weren't to everyone's taste, but I think more effort could have been made to keep them as part of the club's fabric. I for one, thought they were better when we were at the Withdean, they got shown up a bit more at the Amex but I still think Barber's treatment of them was pretty shabby.

If you go to an NBA or NFL game here in the US, cheerleaders are very much an accepted part of the match day experience. Given Barber's time at Vancouver, I'm surprised he didn't put more effort in to keeping them.

And there's the rub - we are in England watching Association FOOTBALL, not the bloody U.S of A, although at times it's hard to tell the difference.

You can keep your cheerleaders and goal music as well. Great move getting rid of Gully's Girls as far as I'm concerned, and I've no desire ever to see them return.

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex
And there's the rub - we are in England watching Association FOOTBALL, not the bloody U.S of A, although at times it's hard to tell the difference.

You can keep your cheerleaders and goal music as well. Great move getting rid of Gully's Girls as far as I'm concerned, and I've no desire ever to see them return.

Have you ever been to a sports game in the US?

If so, fair enough you are entitled to your opinion. If not, how can you possibly compare them?

I'd bring them back, as long as they could curb their extra curricular activities

What is this, Saudi Arabia? Who cares what they did or who in their spare time?

JCL666

absurdism
Sep 23, 2011
Oh FFS. If you read between the lines in the slightest, I'm not actually standing up for the Albion.

I'm actually saying that Gully's Girls were, in the grand scheme of things, fairly crap, and offered little but the opportunity for a few thousand old men to stare at the legs of much younger females as they bounced enthusiastically around the turf.

The financial side of things is probably just an excuse. They were binned because they were a cheap parody of what US sports teams (and some other English football teams) offer. They helped out at sporting events? Well ding dong: ultimately, I'm sure a few of them had aspirations to go on and dance elsewhere as a career move, so the odd personal appearance shaking pom poms in the Albion's cause probably helped in that. Come on: I'd wager there weren't many of them doing it out of sheer love for Brighton & Hove Albion.

No, I'm not a fan of cheerleaders, in case that wasn't obvious. Corporate bullshit: my arse. I just happen to agree with Barber on that occasion: in my opinion, they served no other purpose than to be leched over (and, as I recall, for many blokes to regularly point out "the fat one" with comments like "I hope they're not going to throw her in the air"). What more "corporate bullshit" could you have anyway than a bunch of cheerleaders? Are they in any way rooted in the history of English football? No. They're an imported Americanism, and, yet, ironically, probably supported on here by many of the same people who will declare how #AMF they are. Just like the tragically un-ironic Holmesdale Fanatics do whilst at the same time indulging their teenage fantasies over the Crystals.

Pfffft. I'm sure they were nice girls and I hope they've gone on to better things, but is the Albion a significantly worse a place for their absence? Not in my- personal- opinion.

I've highlighted the bit in bold because..... is it any better? Not in my personal opinion.

I'm indifferent towards Gullys girls, and i think that would be true for most people. However it was fun, they seemed to enjoy it and I doubt they cost a lot, so why not keep them?

I've highlighted the bit in bold because..... is it any better? Not in my personal opinion.

I'm indifferent towards Gullys girls, and i think that would be true for most people. However it was fun, they seemed to enjoy it and I doubt they cost a lot, so why not keep them?

I think we should all be in favour of having role models for young girls that are not just dancers in short skirts - but the Taliban approach ain't the way to go. Shove a few bloke dancers in there too if that's the objection and carry on promoting women's football with big screen highlights before kick off as we currently commendably do.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
"in my opinion, they served no other purpose than to be leched over"
This comment deeply saddens me. Edna, I didn't have you down for a world weary jaded cynic but there you go. As it happens you sre wrong, a lot of the kids who came to the AMEX loved the Gully's Girls. As did the family's of the girls that got involved, many of whom are life-long BHA supporters.

Very poor summary of the Gully's Girls contribution IMO.

Completely agree. Edna is wide of the mark on this in my opinion.

The girls were a great ambassador for the club doing lots of good stuff in the community. They were also part of the pre match routine and build up. I know people that always made sure they were in place for 2.45 to see Gully's Girls. What do we have now?

I also know little girls also thought they were great and on the whole they acted as very good role models. Jo and Louise in particular were fantastic ambassadors for the club. The club are still happy to have a picture of Louise on the side of their mobile shop.

They interacted with Gully as well. Frankly him and his mates look a bit silly. Sack the two hangers on and bring back Gully's Girls instead.

Also many other clubs have cheerleaders without any "problems". Palace's appear all over the place promoting their club and doing good charity work. We are miles behind palace in terms of giving the fans what they want on and off the pitch. We seem to think because we have a great stadium that they somehow don't have a place there, yet we have erected a bandstand!!

I really can't see why anyone would think Gully's Girls are not good for the club.

JCL666

absurdism
Sep 23, 2011
I think we should all be in favour of having role models for young girls that are not just dancers in short skirts - but the Taliban approach ain't the way to go. Shove a few bloke dancers in there too if that's the objection and carry on promoting women's football with big screen highlights before kick off as we currently commendably do.

Haha

You beat me to it!!! I was just thinking that it would be pretty cool to have a bunch of cheerleaders who were a mix of men and women.

On the point of womens football. Any season ticket holder really should get themselves to the womens matches. It's FREE and they're top of the table.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Gullys Girls were binned at the height of Savilemania. The club should bring in professional cheerleaders who all look over 18 like those Crystals up the road. Leering wouldn't be a taboo under these circumstances.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Have you ever been to a sports game in the US?

If so, fair enough you are entitled to your opinion. If not, how can you possibly compare them?

I'm not quite sure why I need to have gone to a sports game in the US to have an opinion on a US phenomenon taking place at my national game. From my viewpoint the world is, and has been for a very long time, suffering from a very bad case of US cultural imperialism. I don't want any part of it thanks all the same.

My idea of pre match and half time entertainment would be fans taking penalties or trying to score from the halfway line type of fun challenges, and kids 5 aside games with local teams playing each other or playing a visiting team from our opposition. Other clubs sometimes do this, as have we from time to time.

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex
I'm not quite sure why I need to have gone to a sports game in the US to have an opinion on a US phenomenon taking place at my national game. From my viewpoint the world is, and has been for a very long time, suffering from a very bad case of US cultural imperialism. I don't want any part of it thanks all the same.

My idea of pre match and half time entertainment would be fans taking penalties or trying to score from the halfway line type of fun challenges, and kids 5 aside games with local teams playing each other or playing a visiting team from our opposition. Other clubs sometimes do this, as have we from time to time.

A very long way of saying no......

Your second paragraph is exactly what is done at most NFL, NHL, NBA and MLS games. As I said, you haven't been so you can't comment on what a "US phenomenon" actually is.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
A very long way of saying no......

Your second paragraph is exactly what is done at most NFL, NHL, NBA and MLS games. As I said, you haven't been so you can't comment on what a "US phenomenon" actually is.

Think we'll just have to agree to disagree, because I still can't see how I have to actually attend a US 'sports game' in order to come to the conclusion that cheerleaders are an Americanisation of our game and not to my liking. I very much doubt I'm alone in that position either.

I've no desire to either go to the US, ever, or indeed see a live US 'sports game', so I suppose in your eyes I'll forever remain unworthy of holding an opinion on the subject of cheerleader involvement in our national game. Oh well, each to their own and all that.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here