Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Brighton & Hove Albion - a most remarkable football club

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
So, in other words, Tony Bloom / Paul Barber were lying when they said that we would have a squad capable of challenging for the play-offs? Because that's what they said.

I don't think they were lying. They recruited a player from Zurich, one from holland, one from Spain, and got three players on loan from premiership sides and an ex prem goalkeeper, and CMS and Hoskins now being fit, a striker who scored goals last season and a Bristol City forward who had rave reviews, they probably assumed that these players would replace injured players like Orlandi, and Lopez and those throwing strops like PIG. That squad therefore was the filling required in the pie.

When we all looked at these players, I think most of us thought that it was a better group, by name certainly, than what we had....unfortunately, it hasn't worked out at all. And due to the FFP/ budget issuesthe sale of our main asset who realised 8 million has not gone on decent players!

I can't remember a wholesale rejigging of a squad that has gone so spectacularly wrong.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I don't think they were lying. They recruited a player from Zurich, one from holland, one from Spain, and got three players on loan from premiership sides and an ex prem goalkeeper, and CMS and Hoskins now being fit, a striker who scored goals last season and a Bristol City forward who had rave reviews, they probably assumed that these players would replace injured players like Orlandi, and Lopez and those throwing strops like PIG. That squad therefore was the filling required in the pie.

When we all looked at these players, I think most of us thought that it was a better group, by name certainly, than what we had....unfortunately, it hasn't worked out at all. And due to the FFP/ budget issuesthe sale of our main asset who realised 8 million has not gone on decent players!

I can't remember a wholesale rejigging of a squad that has gone so spectacularly wrong.

I'd suggest 90% of the blame for the players not gelling lies with the manager and his silly tactics like halfway line fullbacks and acres of space for us to be attacked in. By the time he was forced into changing it he'd lost the players imo..

Vegas Seagull

Jul 10, 2009
I'd suggest 90% of the blame for the players not gelling lies with the manager and his silly tactics like halfway line fullbacks and acres of space for us to be attacked in. By the time he was forced into changing it he'd lost the players imo..

Indeed, eg having the left back outside Kaz in the game we WON (I was there t shirt for Xmas pls Santa) at for 89 mins produced nowt. The 1 minute Kaz was widest he crossed for Dunk to score.
As my granny used to say 'there's none so blind as those that can't see'

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Its 39 years in total for me but for much of the last 20 It was almost a second job. Once the stadium battle had been won I was loving being only involved on a matchday but the Poyet debacle (as well as the oatway stuff), the garcia departure and the leaks before hand in an attempt to discredit him plus the more obvious statements afterwards, and the fact that barber talks like an over inflated David Brent whilst charging BA premium prices alongside a Ryanair 'everything has a price' strategy, have broken me.

Are you referring to the £ 23.80 entrance fee (WSU season ticket and travel voucher ) when you mention premium prices or the food and drink ?

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
I seriously hope all the whinging twats who do nothing but moan about this that and the other and aren't renewing their season tickets Fock off this board as well. I'm sick of hearing it. Sack the manager is one thing but Jesus what a bunch of quims there are on here.
' oh it's all gone corporate and it's not the same as sitting in the pissing rain at Withdean with no licence to sell beer and facilities that were so good we couldn't even sell out when we were getting close to promotion from League 1.

If you're going to Fock off do it quick please.

Last edited:

Dec 15, 2014
Here
article-2510064-1983B6E600000578-833_634x433.jpg

Talk about suits making bad decisions!

Secret-Service-3.jpg

That just brought more suits!

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
Are you referring to the £ 23.80 entrance fee (WSU season ticket and travel voucher ) when you mention premium prices or the food and drink ?

I'm taking the day as a whole. Food, drink, parking or coach travel. Yes on season ticket price alone it looks sound, but that's only half the story.

And I'm not saying being commercially aware or business savvy is wrong. However what our marketing and comms team having been doing since Gus was suspended has been neither commercially aware or business savvy

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
L
I'm taking the day as a whole. Food, drink, parking or coach travel. Yes on season ticket price alone it looks sound, but that's only half the story.

And I'm not saying being commercially aware or business savvy is wrong. However what our marketing and comms team having been doing since Gus was suspended has been neither commercially aware or business savvy
Well coming from Worthing ROSM I reckon the travel is dirt cheap and the price of my seat pretty damn good because it works out at about 17/18 quid a game. I don't know about your situation and if you have parking fees or whatever though.
If the food and drink is too expensive don't have it, take something with you if you have to eat. So that leaves the club commercially unaware and lacking business savvy. Don't know where to go in a debate with that one.

The point I am making here is - and it is not specifically aimed at you, if at all - that the reason everyone is jumping ship is because we are playing crap. I,ve watched seasons of Brighton in the third tier of English football for at least 30 years, I,m used to it.

Last edited:

durrington gull

Aug 29, 2004
Worthing
Not taken personally, but I have made plenty of posts/started threads that have made my views clear on the deeper issues as I see them, including Burke, Barber & Co. Appreciate you may not have seen them.

I believe the squad we have is capable of a top six finish in terms of quality. That's not the same as saying the recruitment policy is right. Not one of the seven Summer signings played against Millwall. That would suggest the recruitment policy is deeply flawed.
Our squad is dreadful - filled with very ordinary lower champ/ lge1 players- COG, cms, jfc, Baldrick, colunga, chicksen etc etc

Peter_Taylor

Dec 7, 2014
Storrington
Action and communication was required as soon as possible after the Millwall game. Up to that point it was not so critical. The longer is is left since the worse things will spiral.

To be fair they did communicate that 'there was no appetite to sack the manager' and that 'funds would be available for him in January' pretty soon after the Millwall game.

Seagull73

Sienna's Heaven
Jul 26, 2003
Not Lewes
L
Well coming from Worthing ROSM I reckon the travel is dirt cheap and the price of my seat pretty damn good because it works out at about 17/18 quid a game. I don't know about your situation and if you have parking fees or whatever though.
If the food and drink is too expensive don't have it, take something with you if you have to eat. So that leaves the club commercially unaware and lacking business savvy. Don't know where to go in a debate with that one.

The point I am making here is - and it is not specifically aimed at you, if at all - that the reason everyone is jumping ship is because we are playing crap. I,ve watched seasons of Brighton in the third tier of English football for at least 30 years, I,m used to it.

Well good for you, happy for you.

Similarly, if you don't like the whinging crap as you put it, why don't you fvck off this board too.
It's a message board for opinions, so deal with it.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Well good for you, happy for you.

Similarly, if you don't like the whinging crap as you put it, why don't you fvck off this board too.
It's a message board for opinions, so deal with it.
What do you mean 'good for me' ? Happy for me ? Why ? Because I've seen this so many times over the last 40 odd years but never heard bitching like this whilst in the Championship. I don't like the results any more than anyone else but as least break it down into its constituent parts rather than moaning about the whole experience..................

"Just because we're losing"

Captain Sensible

Jul 8, 2003
Not the real one
Sorry but if ever a manager's performance warranted a termination of contract its Sami's.
Its quite unbelievable that he is still here, that Tony Bloom is backing him and that as of yet there has been no organised protest.
We as fans need to mobilise now to force Mr Bloom to know we are not just a bunch of Club shop buying, 1901 club, theatre fans, and that this is BRIGHTON and HOVE ALBION and we won't be taken for fools despite the good that the chairman has done so far.

Javeaseagull

Feb 22, 2014
Amazing work by the club to take a team on an upward spiral on the way to the Prem with 30k crowds to a team on it's way to League 1 and losing half your support in a few months, most remarkable

Always positive I see! Such a ray of sunshine.

I seriously hope all the whinging twats who do nothing but moan about this that and the other and aren't renewing their season tickets Fock off this board as well. I'm sick of hearing it. Sack the manager is one thing but Jesus what a bunch of quims there are on here.
' oh it's all gone corporate and it's not the same as sitting in the pissing rain at Withdean with no licence to sell beer and facilities that were so good we couldn't even sell out when we were getting close to promotion from League 1.

If you're going to Fock off do it quick please.

:clap2: :clap2: :clap2:

Couldn't have put it better myself.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here