Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

North and South West ST holders meeting 18th December

Wellesley

Jul 24, 2013
When we go into the 2nd verse, when the holmesdale sing one line, and the Arthur sing the next, it's quite complex.
Just as well we know the words, but you would expect that being long term, literate fans

Wow, you are amazing. I've heard that you can even do the hand jive at the same time. That song really gives your club a unique identity. How long have you supported Blackpool?

Dan Aitch

May 31, 2013
How do you police it? And when you say spitting the dummy at the thought of being asked to help with the atmosphere, dare I suggest that if the 20 odd thousand that are in the ground could do a lot more then just moan about the atmosphere, they could sing.
The problem runs a lot deeper then asking the whole North to sing, it is made up of varying groups, all with different agendas when it comes to singing or indeed if we go back a few weeks, on whether Sami should go. I have the feeling a lot of people will not join in with the police box crew and the same could be said for them. They will not join in with what anyone other groups that sings in the north. This board is an example of how differing the views can be, only the team doing well can improve the atmosphere.

All of your thoughts and theories on how the North stand may or may not choose to interact or join with the rest of the North are inaccurate I'm afraid. It was clear from the meeting that the fans who do their utmost to sing more and create an atmosphere all want to be in the same place, all want to be singing as one, and all want this to encourage everyone else at the Amex to join in.

We have to hope that the club have decided to take some action, will take the difficult decisions that might make this happen somehow, and that (as you so rightly say) a few more people open their gobs and make a difference for us all.

Today may be the start of a change in the club's fortunes this season and who knows, maybe today we'll get more of a uniform voice coming from the North. If we don't, it won't be for want of trying, and it won't be for want of making some changes, impractical and ultimately fruitless as they may prove to be. I guess by half time we'll all know and by then we may be back to the geography of the supposed, oft-perceived, and vastly inaccurate conclusion that different 'factions' in the North have separated in an attempt to be 'the big I am', the leaders, and the ones who can take all the credit.

I know beyond a shadow of a doubt that efforts are being made by the club and the fans but again, as you so rightly say, we won't create an atmosphere on our own - it needs every single person to join in with us, at least once or twice per game.

Fingers crossed, eh? :ascarf:

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
It was interesting watching the Sunderland fans being applauded by their team after their victory at Newcastle. They had a job to find them secreted away at the very top of one of the St James' Park stands where, whatever volume of noise they made, wouldn't drift down to the pitch. Perhaps that is the way to treat away supporters. Clear everyone out of an area of the West Upper for away fans and keep it as non season ticket. You then canvas all North Stand season ticket holders as to whether they would like a standing area as evidence of the need for it. You also ask them if they are "singers" and whether or not they would support a singing area by changing seats to either another area of the ground (ie the other end where they could have a similar view). I think the club need to consider equalising some ticket prices so no one loses from moving from upper west and the north.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
It was interesting watching the Sunderland fans being applauded by their team after their victory at Newcastle. They had a job to find them secreted away at the very top of one of the St James' Park stands where, whatever volume of noise they made, wouldn't drift down to the pitch. Perhaps that is the way to treat away supporters. Clear everyone out of an area of the West Upper for away fans and keep it as non season ticket. You then canvas all North Stand season ticket holders as to whether they would like a standing area as evidence of the need for it. You also ask them if they are "singers" and whether or not they would support a singing area by changing seats to either another area of the ground (ie the other end where they could have a similar view). I think the club need to consider equalising some ticket prices so no one loses from moving from upper west and the north.

Not practical to put away fans in WSU as there are only 2 entrances, one at each end. So one would have to be for away fans meaning 80% of the stand would need to use the other

Steve.S

May 11, 2012
Hastings
All of your thoughts and theories on how the North stand may or may not choose to interact or join with the rest of the North are inaccurate I'm afraid. It was clear from the meeting that the fans who do their utmost to sing more and create an atmosphere all want to be in the same place, all want to be singing as one, and all want this to encourage everyone else at the Amex to join in.

We have to hope that the club have decided to take some action, will take the difficult decisions that might make this happen somehow, and that (as you so rightly say) a few more people open their gobs and make a difference for us all.

Today may be the start of a change in the club's fortunes this season and who knows, maybe today we'll get more of a uniform voice coming from the North. If we don't, it won't be for want of trying, and it won't be for want of making some changes, impractical and ultimately fruitless as they may prove to be. I guess by half time we'll all know and by then we may be back to the geography of the supposed, oft-perceived, and vastly inaccurate conclusion that different 'factions' in the North have separated in an attempt to be 'the big I am', the leaders, and the ones who can take all the credit.

I know beyond a shadow of a doubt that efforts are being made by the club and the fans but again, as you so rightly say, we won't create an atmosphere on our own - it needs every single person to join in with us, at least once or twice per game.

Fingers crossed, eh? :ascarf:

How did you think it went yesterday? There seems to be plenty of seats around the police box area and as they seem to sing for most of the match, then surely sign post singers to that area. My opinion is that a lot of people moved over to the police box and now they have decided they want to move back to the central North. However the club can not accommodate them all without moving other people and there lies the problem.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
How did you think it went yesterday? There seems to be plenty of seats around the police box area and as they seem to sing for most of the match, then surely sign post singers to that area. My opinion is that a lot of people moved over to the police box and now they have decided they want to move back to the central North. However the club can not accommodate them all without moving other people and there lies the problem.

Looking at the North from the West, at most games this season there has been plenty of spare seats central if the Police box people wanted to move central.

Steve.S

May 11, 2012
Hastings
Looking at the North from the West, at most games this season there has been plenty of spare seats central if the Police box people wanted to move central.

I may be wrong, but I thought someone posted on here recently, that the club offered to move them back to a more central role, however as they could not accommodate them all, they refused. How will unreserved seating ensure that they all sit together?

Mutts Nuts

Oct 30, 2011
I may be wrong, but I thought someone posted on here recently, that the club offered to move them back to a more central role, however as they could not accommodate them all, they refused. How will unreserved seating ensure that they all sit together?

{How will unreserved seating ensure that they all sit together?[/QUOTE]}

Same as in the old days, get to the ground a bit early to stand where you want:albion2:

Steve.S

May 11, 2012
Hastings
{How will unreserved seating ensure that they all sit together?
}

Same as in the old days, get to the ground a bit early to stand where you want:albion2:[/QUOTE]

How will that solve the problem? If everyone sung in the north we would not have a problem, but that's not the case. So how is having unreserved seating going to change that. What will happen is that people will still turn up late and they will move into a row that has no seats,everyone is standing, the stewards will notice and will expect someone to move, then that's where you will get your trouble. No one is going to want to move. People do that now in the north they will stand with friends in a row until the stewards move them on. It's not a problem because everyone has a seat, so can not argue. How are you going to decide when nobody has an actual seat.

Mutts Nuts

Oct 30, 2011
}

Same as in the old days, get to the ground a bit early to stand where you want:albion2:

How will that solve the problem? If everyone sung in the north we would not have a problem, but that's not the case. So how is having unreserved seating going to change that. What will happen is that people will still turn up late and they will move into a row that has no seats,everyone is standing, the stewards will notice and will expect someone to move, then that's where you will get your trouble. No one is going to want to move. People do that now in the north they will stand with friends in a row until the stewards move them on. It's not a problem because everyone has a seat, so can not argue. How are you going to decide when nobody has an actual seat.[/QUOTE]

It will start with the central blocks only , with the area growing if demand dictates

Zukey Seagull

Jun 23, 2013
Worthing
Anyone know when the club will be issuing its summary of this event?

I wish they would soon, but i am guessing it won't be until the new year most probably middle of january.

I was speaking to the older couple who sit behind me in the north stand N1H and they had no idea that the north stand was supposed to be the singing section and they was shocked the first time they came.

Steve.S

May 11, 2012
Hastings
How will that solve the problem? If everyone sung in the north we would not have a problem, but that's not the case. So how is having unreserved seating going to change that. What will happen is that people will still turn up late and they will move into a row that has no seats,everyone is standing, the stewards will notice and will expect someone to move, then that's where you will get your trouble. No one is going to want to move. People do that now in the north they will stand with friends in a row until the stewards move them on. It's not a problem because everyone has a seat, so can not argue. How are you going to decide when nobody has an actual seat.

It will start with the central blocks only , with the area growing if demand dictates[/QUOTE]

The club have already said that unreserved seating will reduce capacity and will create problems, it will not happen. When you say central blocks, then you can only do it with the STHs who already sit there, what's that going to change. You can not expect them to give up their STs can you. Just tell me how you police the central part? What question are you going to ask people? Do they have to sign a contract to sing? You are asking the whole Middle block to do what, move? A lot of them already sing, can you guarantee that anyone who comes into that area will sing? The point being is the middle blocks of the North already have STHs in the seats, so how do the club go about it.

Zukey Seagull

Jun 23, 2013
Worthing
if it is just the case of getting out of the police box area because it drowns out the singing surely the club could swap them onto the opposite side, for example move from under the police box to the other side of the North NE and then move the people from the NE under the police box and they will still have the same view.

But could be a stupid suggestion so sorry.

Mutts Nuts

Oct 30, 2011
It will start with the central blocks only , with the area growing if demand dictates

The club have already said that unreserved seating will reduce capacity and will create problems, it will not happen. When you say central blocks, then you can only do it with the STHs who already sit there, what's that going to change. You can not expect them to give up their STs can you. Just tell me how you police the central part? What question are you going to ask people? Do they have to sign a contract to sing? You are asking the whole Middle block to do what, move? A lot of them already sing, can you guarantee that anyone who comes into that area will sing? The point being is the middle blocks of the North already have STHs in the seats, so how do the club go about it.[/QUOTE]
I am not saying any thing options were discussed at the meeting, why are you against the club trying to help the fans create an atmosphere by the way.The club has already moved fans from there original seats for other reasons , the precedent has already been set.

Steve.S

May 11, 2012
Hastings
The club have already said that unreserved seating will reduce capacity and will create problems, it will not happen. When you say central blocks, then you can only do it with the STHs who already sit there, what's that going to change. You can not expect them to give up their STs can you. Just tell me how you police the central part? What question are you going to ask people? Do they have to sign a contract to sing? You are asking the whole Middle block to do what, move? A lot of them already sing, can you guarantee that anyone who comes into that area will sing? The point being is the middle blocks of the North already have STHs in the seats, so how do the club go about it.
I am not saying any thing options were discussed at the meeting, why are you against the club trying to help the fans create an atmosphere by the way.The club has already moved fans from there origanol seats for other reasons , the precedent has already been set[/QUOTE]

I am not against it, having unreserved seating will not solve the problem. We have people singing in the north and yet it is not moving around the stadium, so you have to ask yourself why? Plenty of people in the North do not want to follow the police box crew and yes they can hear them. A group starts and you should have a ripple effect, so why are people not joining in with the police box crew, it's not down to hearing, because I am in the middle of the North and everyone to the west of me can hear and yet choose not to join in. So the problem is either there are not enough singers in the north, if that's the case, unreserved seating will not help as you will still have clusters of people not singing. Is it because people have something against the police box crew, if so how do you solve the problem. You gat characters in the north and they all have there own little following and that will not change. The only way you can change it, is to ask people to move if they do not wish to sing, maybe offer them the chance to move to the south, again the trouble is people like their seats and will not move, you say that the club can move people, but how? People in the North will just tell the club that they sing, even if they don't if they do not want to move. The club are looking at the problem when the club is dishing up dull boring football and it's no wonder the atmosphere is dire. The club would do better to identify where the groups of singers are around the north and target them in discussions about how they can work as one.

northernseagull

Mar 12, 2013
Having just received the newsletter re. reflections on Dec. meeting I'm surprised Beirne has stated 'Frankly, there was little consensus in the room around what to do to improve atmosphere' - having not been at the meeting myself I'm intrigued to know what was suggested?! Looks like Paul is going away to do his homework in search of an answer... good to see they are being pro active on the subject.

Terry Butcher Tribute Act

Aug 18, 2013
Having just received the newsletter re. reflections on Dec. meeting I'm surprised Beirne has stated 'Frankly, there was little consensus in the room around what to do to improve atmosphere' - having not been at the meeting myself I'm intrigued to know what was suggested?! Looks like Paul is going away to do his homework in search of an answer... good to see they are being pro active on the subject.
It was mainly the Judge rambling on about stewards and how they needed a more central area to sing. Throw in Baine and Bracknell harking back to yesteryear I think Bierne gets it spot on in his email.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here