Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Another "electric" night at Anfield

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
He was poked in the eye. Ever been poked in the eye, whilst running? It hurts. He was not cheating.

Ridiculous thing for Markovic to do, no need, no danger - definite red.

As for the OP...why does the lack of atmosphere at modern all-seater stadia continue to surprise you? Why do you continually bang on about it? It's the same everywhere FFS.

Couldn't agree more. What was Markovic thinking flailing his hand out at the guys face?

At least Gerrard is being honest post match "we didn't deserve to go through and we haven't been good enough." He could be describing everything about English football from the international scene to the domestic scene.

Feb 14, 2010
I bet they wouldn't get 29,000 in a Championship relegation battle

well we know you wouldnt..

Had to laugh at the commentator.. "the Liverpool fans kept on singing".. like fck they did. Couldnt hear a peep until they scored, but when did the press let the truth get in the way of a good story.Also saw that Liverpool did the usual fall over in front of the Kop but the ref said no. Gerrard looked for it, dived and I'd have booked him as well.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
I have no sympathy. As the replay clearly showed, he attempted to push his man in the face.

I think he was aiming for upper body but assumed the fella was right behind him but he wasn't! Not violent conduct for me though, although shouldn't have raised arm!

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
Hopefully LFC will appeal the red card decision, justice will prevail and Basel will be thrown out the competion allowing Liverpool to proceed to the next round.
#YNWA :wanker:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Brighton fan starts thread about the poor Anfield atmosphere.

Do we have a 'seriously ironic' smilie?

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
He was poked in the eye. Ever been poked in the eye, whilst running? It hurts. He was not cheating.

Ridiculous thing for Markovic to do, no need, no danger - definite red.

As for the OP...why does the lack of atmosphere at modern all-seater stadia continue to surprise you? Why do you continually bang on about it? It's the same everywhere FFS.

Anyone else you want to have a pop at?

to answer your questions:
Yes,
No,
Agree,
Disagree
Raising his hand was stupid but still not a red card offence.

"His fingernail touches his nose," added Rodgers.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
I have no sympathy. As the replay clearly showed, he attempted to push his man in the face.

Agree. He clearly looks back and then flicks his hand towards the players face. Not sure why people think that he shouldn't go just because he didn't catch him full in the face. Intent is there. If someone aimed a kick at someone but missed it is still a sending off. Violent intent. Utter stupidity.

brightn'ove

cringe
Apr 12, 2011
London
I think he was aiming for upper body but assumed the fella was right behind him but he wasn't! Not violent conduct for me though, although shouldn't have raised arm!
He had TWO looks over his shoulder. He clearly was going for the face. Was extremely stupid and a definite red. If a player swung for a player and missed, it's still violent conduct.

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
I can't believe people are debating that red, he almost took the fellas eye out, you can see he loses page with the ball as he flicks his arm out.

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
I was really surprised about the atmosphere last night. On the games I saw towards the end of last season, Anfield was a hostile place to go with a passionate atmosphere developing an hour before kick off in some cases. I'm no Liverpool fan but it seemed from the telly to be a completely different level to anything else in recent seasons during the title race.

Last night, all I could hear was a few Swiss singing about chocolate bars, Cuckoo clocks and bank accounts. The whole place has gone down the toilet this year.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I was really surprised about the atmosphere last night. On the games I saw towards the end of last season, Anfield was a hostile place to go with a passionate atmosphere developing an hour before kick off in some cases. I'm no Liverpool fan but it seemed from the telly to be a completely different level to anything else in recent seasons during the title race.

Last night, all I could hear was a few Swiss singing about chocolate bars, Cuckoo clocks and bank accounts. The whole place has gone down the toilet this year.

So Liverpool fans make noise when they're winning but like dormice when they're not. Who knew?

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
It was a sad night for football, those PASSIONATE fans deserved so much better, did Basel not read the script?

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
So Liverpool fans make noise when they're winning but like dormice when they're not. Who knew?

We all know that the 'Electric European atmosphere' (c) Sky sports is a myth as much as Portsmouth fans being the best fans in the universe. After all, in the Europa cup in recent seasons it's resembled a half full morgue. That said, I will begrudgingly credit Liverpool for raising the atmosphere a notch last year and even as recent as the Madrid game where, before they got totally outplayed, outclassed and embaressed that is, it seemed to be a noisy and passionate affair.

Last night was Withdeanesque. Man city V Bayern was as bad. We are led to believe CL football is the be all and end all. Doesn't seem to me that the fans think that way in Liverpool and Manchester.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
We all know that the 'Electric European atmosphere' (c) Sky sports is a myth as much as Portsmouth fans being the best fans in the universe. After all, in the Europa cup in recent seasons it's resembled a half full morgue. That said, I will begrudgingly credit Liverpool for raising the atmosphere a notch last year and even as recent as the Madrid game where, before they got totally outplayed, outclassed and embaressed that is, it seemed to be a noisy and passionate affair.

Last night was Withdeanesque. Man city V Bayern was as bad. We are led to believe CL football is the be all and end all. Doesn't seem to me that the fans think that way in Liverpool and Manchester.

Liverpool fans are THE most overrated in the world, far more so than Portsmouth. If only it was a recent Sky phenomenon, but it isn't. The "it's another wonderful Anfield European night" rubbish has always been trotted out by lazy TV dullards, well before the Champions League and Sky were born.

Let's be honest, Real Madrid are in town for a competitive match - is there a club on the planet whose fans wouldn't be up for that? And of course, Liverpool were totally outclassed. Did their fans respond with encouragement? Er, no. Rubbish fans. I hate to say it, but Man Utd's support is ten times better. In my experience, Villa fans have the best fans I've ever heard. Admittedly, their numbers ought to be better, but they do generate a lot of noise even for nothing games where their own team is gash.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here