Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

O'Grady gone [to Sheffield United on loan]

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
So we've binned him off to Sheffield for a month - while he's injured. Christ they must be desperate.

SIMMO SAYS

Jul 31, 2012
Incommunicado
Did I say he or she was employed by the club so if not how can they fire him or her and how are they covered by the Data Protection Act. As stated I dont know if it is 100% correct or like the fishermans tale somebody said 10 he told his mate 11 his mate told his mate 12 etc.

Do you work for MI 5/6:moo:

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Do you work for MI 5/6:moo:

:clap: People on here read into things that arent said usually hoping to prove you wrong and prove that they know more.

All I am saying is I was told this by somebody who I know to have contacts and I respect that. It could be a load of b....x if that what people wish to believe by all means do so..

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
Nothing wrong with bringing in a keeper for a month who can't play 1 game as its against his parent club, then misses 2 weeks through international duty, no nothing wrong with that.
Fook me!

I was more about the principle pf the loan - the actual event was slightly baffling but I agreed with bringing in a keeper as cover. But you knew that really.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
5pm today the window closes. - doesn't leave much choice :thumbsup:

Indeed. I'm far from disappointed.

Not quite sure how Bloom was persuaded by Burke that this guy could be the spearhead of a top 6 side (which apparently we are). 5 months into a 3 year deal, it was fairly apparent he's not up to it. Money down the drain that was.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Indeed. I'm far from disappointed.

Not quite sure how Bloom was persuaded by Burke that this guy could be the spearhead of a top 6 side (which apparently we are). 5 months into a 3 year deal, it was fairly apparent he's not up to it. Money down the drain that was.

Sure was but it happens to everyone. You take a punt and it bounces back and smacks you in the face.
In truth we will probably get a better end result than we did with Will Hoskins who is a vastly better player and cost the same. Just the way it goes in football.......

WhingForPresident

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2009
Marlborough
For what it's worth, I've never rated Darren Bent. I'm hoping that the Championship is his level and he can bag some goals for us. I think the club are taking a calculated gamble. I hope it pays off.

With 109 goals, he is the 22nd top goalscorer in Premier League HISTORY. More goals than Drogba, Van Nistelrooy, Le Tissier, Bergkamp, Torres, Berbatov, Ronaldo to name but a few. And most of those goals came in teams with far inferior players than the aforementioned had playing alongside them.

It is a gamble considering he hasn't been playing or scoring goals, but I don't see how you cannot be excited by a player with those stats coming to little old Brighton.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
With 109 goals, he is the 22nd top goalscorer in Premier League HISTORY. More goals than Drogba, Van Nistelrooy, Le Tissier, Bergkamp, Torres, Berbatov, Ronaldo to name but a few. And most of those goals came in teams with far inferior players than the aforementioned had playing alongside them.

It is a gamble considering he hasn't been playing or scoring goals, but I don't see how you cannot be excited by a player with those stats coming to little old Brighton.

Crikey! With those stats he must be one of England's most capped players. Er, oh hang on.

I'm not alone in not rating Darren Bent. However, as I've said on other posts, I'm hopeful he can do something for us.

spanish flair

Jan 30, 2014
Brighton
Crikey! With those stats he must be one of England's most capped players. Er, oh hang on.

I'm not alone in not rating Darren Bent. However, as I've said on other posts, I'm hopeful he can do something for us.

No your not, there are a good few Villa and Fulham fans agree with you. He does have that great scoring record and lets hope he can find it again with us.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Sure was but it happens to everyone. You take a punt and it bounces back and smacks you in the face.
In truth we will probably get a better end result than we did with Will Hoskins who is a vastly better player and cost the same. Just the way it goes in football.......

I agree on the whole. But for me, this deal more than any other has highlighted the flaws in our recruitment process. He wasn't a fit for this club from the moment he arrived. He said himself that he was having to learn to adapt his game and play differently to how he was used to - so seriously, why buy him in the first place when he's not what we want ? He's not some youngster with potential still learning the game who we could mould - he's 28. Hyypia never fancied him, but just had to make do.

We're told we're very careful and thorough in identifying our transfer targets. And I accept that inevitably not all of them will turn out to be a success, you're quite right that IS the way it goes in football. But the fact is, O'Grady has been a disaster, and we've got a whole raft of summer signings who are barely involved in the 1st team. We're now heavily relying on the loan market to put a team out, and that worries me.

I wish it WAS just O'Grady we got smacked in the face with.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
So we've binned him off to Sheffield for a month - while he's injured. Christ they must be desperate.

He is on loan until the end of January , Clough was keen to say nothing had been said about a permanent deal which looks to me that he might remain there on loan until the end of the season so as he can milk it from us before leaving and dropping back to the level of wages he was on at Barnsley when he eventually signs for Sheffield United. The club might have to write off half of his transfer fee and a years wages in order to get rid of him.

The signing of O'Grady was for me a startling realisation that our recruitment process is so utterly flawed. If he had come to us as a free transfer, lets say on a one year deal, on the back of what could be considered one good season out of so many mediocre ones, then we could all just say 'ah well, the gamble didn't pay off'. Yet somehow, somewhere along the line Burke has convinced Tony Bloom that this guy is worth £500,000 and a 3 year deal.

So the fee, including wages, will almost certainly amount to around the £1.2M mark, a sum of money that could have easily covered Barnes's wage demands, a loan for a Murray, Wood or a young Premiership striker. I just do not understand the thinking of the club on this deal.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
He is on loan until the end of January , Clough was keen to say nothing had been said about a permanent deal which looks to me that he might remain there on loan until the end of the season so as he can milk it from us before leaving and dropping back to the level of wages he was on at Barnsley when he eventually signs for Sheffield United. The club might have to write off half of his transfer fee and a years wages in order to get rid of him.

I'd hope / expect that Sheff Utd would be covering the vast majority of his wage while he's there, but yes whatever way you slice it, its been a bit of an expensive rickitt. It was an underwhelming signing from the start, and with the best will in the world you always want to see a player step up to the plate and prove his worth, but it just never happened for him. And I don't think many people are very surprised by that, other than Mr Burke perhaps.

Statto98

Oct 26, 2014
The signing of O'Grady was for me a startling realisation that our recruitment process is so utterly flawed. If he had come to us as a free transfer, lets say on a one year deal, on the back of what could be considered one good season out of so many mediocre ones, then we could all just say 'ah well, the gamble didn't pay off'. Yet somehow, somewhere along the line Burke has convinced Tony Bloom that this guy is worth £500,000 and a 3 year deal.

So the fee, including wages, will almost certainly amount to around the £1.2M mark, a sum of money that could have easily covered Barnes's wage demands, a loan for a Murray, Wood or a young Premiership striker. I just do not understand the thinking of the club on this deal.

Couldn't have said it any better myself. We need a complete revamp of the recruitment team in my opinion. An NSC majority vote on signings would seem to better than the decisions made by Burke and his team.

Braders

Abi Fletchers Gimpboy
Jul 15, 2003
Brighton, United Kingdom
"Thankfully Brighton told Sheffield United they could keep him"
Screen shot 2014-11-27 at 18.02.03.png

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here