Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Man City fans

Feb 14, 2010
Yes we were 11th best - in 1978, nearly 35 years ago. Where were Palace ? Ah yes, above us.

We then spent 1989 to 1997 getting some of the shittest crowds you could imagine a city of this size ever attracting at a time when crowds ROSE. As superphil says, 3,500 for the visit of Chesterfield in league one on a Tuesday night in 1995 for example. So yes, Palace have times of shit gates, but so have we. So please, STFU about it - because you are proper boring.

Palace had a bigger ground, and their sell outs were larger, they were of course down to 4500/6000 by 1984/5. By 1989 to 1997 just think what had happened to the Albion, from closed terraces, to serial decline. as for other clubs with a similar size, well do you remember the gates Hull were getting. As I say, all you "wont fill Amex" have been proved so wrong ut you still wont give it a rest. Now do a list of clubs you think would get 30000 for Fulham in a championship December relegation dogfight, look at your list and think of the clubs missing from it. Impressive really. Now that is not rewriting history, that is reality.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
In English football it's ofteb the case that the bigger or newer te stadium the harder it is to get a decent atmo. Always seems the way. Wembley is hard for example. If all so gets were together however... But they're too scattered in big stadiums! Modern football im afraid!

dangull

Feb 24, 2013
Yes we were 11th best - in 1978, nearly 35 years ago. Where were Palace ? Ah yes, above us.

We then spent 1989 to 1997 getting some of the shittest crowds you could imagine a city of this size ever attracting at a time when crowds ROSE. As superphil says, 3,500 for the visit of Chesterfield in league one on a Tuesday night in 1995 for example. So yes, Palace have times of shit gates, but so have we. So please, STFU about it - because you are proper boring.
Wasn't the declining Goldstone a factor in this, like a lot of the East stand was closed down ?

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
I was a season ticket holder, it was not 3000 but the Albion was in almost terminal decline, and we all knew it. Where did they go, well thousands of them protested, marched, invaded pitches, some played fiddle (Attila in the West Stand) and much much more. One heck of a support.

And where were the other 25k or so? That would have been just what we needed when times got tough. Sadly they ****ed off and left just a few of us to do the marching, invading, walking out, etc. Were they not plastic part timers, any more or any less than those whole desert any team when things don't go se well? I don't think big clubs fans desert their team like that.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Palace had a bigger ground, and their sell outs were larger, they were of course down to 4500/6000 by 1984/5. By 1989 to 1997 just think what had happened to the Albion, from closed terraces, to serial decline. as for other clubs with a similar size, well do you remember the gates Hull were getting. As I say, all you "wont fill Amex" have been proved so wrong ut you still wont give it a rest. Now do a list of clubs you think would get 30000 for Fulham in a championship December relegation dogfight, look at your list and think of the clubs missing from it. Impressive really. Now that is not rewriting history, that is reality.

We'll have 28,000 ish, including 3000 Fulham and 23,000 STHs who committed months ago. It is impressive, but the club front office did the job off the back of two play off campaigns. You're talking as if 25,000 Albion fans are all turning up to pay on the day, week after week, out of loyalty. Utter crap - it's because they've already PAID.

And the point is that you keep banging on about our loyal support, when the truth is that it has been VERY fickle down the years - arguably more fickle than at Palace. 8,000 average for a season finishing 6th in this league? I would bet that is the lowest average gate for a top 6 team in any season in the past 30 years, except for Notts County in 1991 and Wimbledon in 1986.

Feb 14, 2010
And where were the other 25k or so? That would have been just what we needed when times got tough. Sadly they ****ed off and left just a few of us to do the marching, invading, walking out, etc. Were they not plastic part timers, any more or any less than those whole desert any team when things don't go se well? I don't think big clubs fans desert their team like that.

They went in the early 80s because of football hooliganism like every club in the country and had no reason to return because Brighton went on serial decline. So Sunderland who were getting 15000 around the same time, and Arsenal down to 20,000 at times in the 80s are not big clubs? Amazing standards you have. My challenge to all you "wont fill amex brigade" is to list the clubs who would get 30,000 for a relegation scrap in the championship. Albion are in fine company dont you think

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts

Their smallest average was 6446 in 1985.
And do you really think there will be anything like 30k in the Amex on Saturday?

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
They went in the early 80s because of football hooliganism like every club in the country and had no reason to return because Brighton went on serial decline. So Sunderland who were getting 15000 around the same time, and Arsenal down to 20,000 at times in the 80s are not big clubs? Amazing standards you have. My challenge to all you "wont fill amex brigade" is to list the clubs who would get 30,000 for a relegation scrap in the championship. Albion are in fine company dont you think

Again, more bullshit. He's talking about the missing 25k from 1991. Hooliganism was in decline.

Feb 14, 2010
We'll have 28,000 ish, including 3000 Fulham and 23,000 STHs who committed months ago. It is impressive, but the club front office did the job off the back of two play off campaigns. You're talking as if 25,000 Albion fans are all turning up to pay on the day, week after week, out of loyalty. Utter crap - it's because they've already PAID.

And the point is that you keep banging on about our loyal support, when the truth is that it has been VERY fickle down the years - arguably more fickle than at Palace. 8,000 average for a season finishing 6th in this league? I would bet that is the lowest average gate for a top 6 team in any season in the past 30 years, except for Notts County in 1991 and Wimbledon in 1986.

Again you dont look at the serial decline as evidence by crumbling, closed terrace. They went when every clubs support went, and had no success and no reason to return. You keep knocking the Albion support as they continue to prove you wrong. Somehow having 23000 STH ion the championship is evidence of a fickle support in your world. The same fickle support they could get 30,000 against Rochdale in div 3 at a time when the club had never had success at all (well except 1910. As they said on Monty Python, "no pleasing some people".

Feb 14, 2010
Their smallest average was 6446 in 1985.
And do you really think there will be anything like 30k in the Amex on Saturday?

Tiresome, judge like for like, judge Brighton against other clubs on the same way that all clubs disclose attendances, why should BHA be at a disadvantage, to inflate your wish to knock the support? Now how about you name the clubs who would match the Albion's support for a Championship relegation battle. Name them, its not bad company, and palace certainly are not on the list.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Again you dont look at the serial decline as evidence by crumbling, closed terrace. They went when every clubs support went, and had no success and no reason to return. You keep knocking the Albion support as they continue to prove you wrong. Somehow having 23000 STH ion the championship is evidence of a fickle support in your world. The same fickle support they could get 30,000 against Rochdale in div 3 at a time when the club had never had success at all (well except 1910. As they said on Monty Python, "no pleasing some people".
How many times are you going to mention this one-off 30k game against Rochdale? Why not list all 8 30k gates we've ever had? In 50 seasons.

I'm not knocking our support. I'm providing some balance to your mediocre rubbish posts. Just pointing out that we've had periods of absolutely dreadful support, which you seem to refuse to acknowlege. Or make feeble excuses over, usually white washing it with "crumbling Goldstone" as if other grounds weren't falling apart, or "everyone's gates were down" when they actually weren't.

To clarify, our current level of support is superb. So much so, that these 4 Amex seasons are ALL in our top ten average gates of all time. So stop boring everyone with drivel (lies) about how marvellous our support has been historically. It has been patchy. Sometimes brilliant, sometime feeble, but hardly ever in numbers that we're seeing now.

Feb 14, 2010
How many times are you going to mention this one-off 30k game against Rochdale? Why not list all 8 30k gates we've ever had? In 50 seasons.

I'm not knocking our support. I'm providing some balance to your mediocre rubbish posts. Just pointing out that we've had periods of absolutely dreadful support, which you seem to refuse to acknowlege. Or make feeble excuses over, usually white washing it with "crumbling Goldstone" as if other grounds weren't falling apart, or "everyone's gates were down" when they actually weren't.

To clarify, our current level of support is superb. So much so, that these 4 Amex seasons are ALL in our top ten average gates of all time. So stop boring everyone with drivel (lies) about how marvellous our support has been historically. It has been patchy. Sometimes brilliant, sometime feeble, but hardly ever in numbers that we're seeing now.

Again you wont recognise the fans went in the early 80's when everyone's did (Arsenal down to 20odd thousand). But unlike Arsenal, or palace, Brighton had no success, did have crumbling terraces, did have serial decline, did have lower league football and did end up losing the goldstone. You also will struggle to find a lower league club with Brighton's support over the years, especially one with Brighton's lack of success. Compare like with like and as I say, make the list of clubs who can command 30,000 for a championship relegation scrap. Not bad company is it?

dangull

Feb 24, 2013
Who's ahead on points at the moment and how many rounds left between Simster v WCP ?

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Again you wont recognise the fans went in the early 80's when everyone's did (Arsenal down to 20odd thousand). But unlike Arsenal, or palace, Brighton had no success, did have crumbling terraces, did have serial decline, did have lower league football and did end up losing the goldstone. You also will struggle to find a lower league club with Brighton's support over the years, especially one with Brighton's lack of success. Compare like with like and as I say, make the list of clubs who can command 30,000 for a championship relegation scrap. Not bad company is it?
Are you deliberately being stupid? I DO recognise that gates were down in the early 80s. But what I am saying is that our gates were TERRIBLE when they started to climb again.

atfc village

Mar 28, 2013
Lower Bourne .Farnham
yes there is mate and you buy into it about Brighton, probably because you are younger than me and dont remember the albion before Archer. I doubt you remember Sunderand getting around 15000 and Newcastle about the same and Arsenal sometimes falling to around 20,000 either. But yes mate the press never have understood Brighton and yes they talk a load of old rubbish about northern clubs in particular
Newcastle v Oxford 10th April 91 att 10004 v Oxford 28th Dec 92 att 9293 loyal loyal Geordies.

Albion Dan

Banned
Jul 8, 2003
Peckham
I was at the game tonight on a work do and the atmosphere was appalling. The city fans barely made a noise. Much worse than the Amex for any sort of important match. One for those that Slag our atmosphere to think about. Speaking to some of their fans it's pretty normal. Taking into account the dire spurs atmosphere at our game I'd say premier team atmosphere is dead.

JOLovegrove

Jan 30, 2012
I was at the game tonight on a work do and the atmosphere was appalling. The city fans barely made a noise. Much worse than the Amex for any sort of important match. One for those that Slag our atmosphere to think about. Speaking to some of their fans it's pretty normal. Taking into account the dire spurs atmosphere at our game I'd say premier team atmosphere is dead.

What about when Aguero netted his 2 late goals?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here