Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

BBC 2014 Sports Personality of the year,The Ten.

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
I would expect if Steven Gerrard had led Liverpool to European Cup glory, a week later scored the goals to give them a Premier League title then chose that moment to retire from the sport and go out on a massive high he'd be red-hot favourite to win it and a shoe-in for the Top 3. Yet this is exactly what JONNY WILKINSON has done and he doesn't even make the 10. Piss poor decision from the panel that.

Good call.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003

Hatterlovesbrighton

something clever
Jul 28, 2003
Not Luton! Thank God
I would expect if Steven Gerrard had led Liverpool to European Cup glory, a week later scored the goals to give them a Premier League title then chose that moment to retire from the sport and go out on a massive high he'd be red-hot favourite to win it and a shoe-in for the Top 3. Yet this is exactly what JONNY WILKINSON has done and he doesn't even make the 10. Piss poor decision from the panel that.

Possibly, but Wilkinson has already won the award before.

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
My controversial comment:

If he was English, Gareth Bale would be getting way more talked about here.

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
But isn't that obvious? English people more interested in English people shocker!

*substitute 'English' for any nationality under the sun.

Well you've ignored the fact that quite a lot of people are talking about McIlroy. So that's not really the issue. What I'm getting at is that, I think, if Wayne Rooney had signed for Real Madrid for the world's highest ever fee, scored in the Copa Del Ray and European Cup finals winning both, and came back and played regularly for England continuing to score goals, he'd be considered a real favourite for the UK SPOTY. Whereas Bale is going under the radar because he is Welsh.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
Personality is a term for famlus sporting person, not who is the most entertaining as a person.
But they are all cack.

A tedious self-congratularity (sp?) dirge from a dismal TV channel.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Well you've ignored the fact that quite a lot of people are talking about McIlroy. So that's not really the issue. What I'm getting at is that, I think, if Wayne Rooney had signed for Real Madrid for the world's highest ever fee, scored in the Copa Del Ray and European Cup finals winning both, and came back and played regularly for England continuing to score goals, he'd be considered a real favourite for the UK SPOTY. Whereas Bale is going under the radar because he is Welsh.

I agree.

The only reason it is open to the public is to make cash. The public can't be trusted to make a wholesome decision. Phil Taylor came third one year? Clear evidence that there are morons voting.

seagulls99

Feb 10, 2012
Rory McIlroy - 1/3
Lewis Hamilton - 11/4
Gareth Bale - 40/1
Jo Pavey - 50/1
Charlotte Dujardin - 100/1

I'd put Hamilton as favourite over McIlroy and Gareth Bale looks a decent bet at 40/1?

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I think I'd favour McIlroy over Hamilton myself. Two Major titles and a Ryder Cup trumps a motor racing championship for me.

Whoever mentioned the female England rugby players who won the World Cup- I'd imagine they'll be up there for the Team of the Year trophy, if the panel can bring themselves to look beyond footballers for a while (and let's face it, the cricket team aren't going to win).

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
Golfer Rory McIlroy, footballer Gareth Bale, gymnast Max Whitlock, F1's Lewis Hamilton and swimmer Adam Peaty are on the list with Lizzy Yarnold (skeleton).

Boxer Carl Froch, Charlotte Dujardin (dressage), athlete Jo Pavey, plus Paralympic skier Kelly Gallagher and guide Charlotte Evans are nominated.

i've only heard of 4 of them :shrug:

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I think I'd favour McIlroy over Hamilton myself. Two Major titles and a Ryder Cup trumps a motor racing championship for me.

Whoever mentioned the female England rugby players who won the World Cup- I'd imagine they'll be up there for the Team of the Year trophy, if the panel can bring themselves to look beyond footballers for a while (and let's face it, the cricket team aren't going to win).

Agree. David Coulthard has ben quoted as saying the driver is about 20% responsible for winning the F1 title, the rest is down to the team/engineers etc.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Possibly, but Wilkinson has already won the award before.

So? Henry Cooper, Damon Hill and Nigel Mansell have each won it twice, Steve Davis has been in the Top 3 five times.

And on top of what Wilkinson has achieved in 2014 he's also done something that only Bradley Wiggins has managed before him, which is to make the French nation fall in love with an Englishman.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here